The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Epiphone FT-130 Neck Reset

Hi all.

A thread about old Epiphones in the General Discussion forum reminded me about my FT-130 sitting in the corner of my office that needs a neck reset in a bad way.

I'm hoping that some here will be familiar with these all-lam Japanese guitars.

It's got a bolt-on neck - and when I say bolt-on I mean bolt-on like a Stratocaster. It's got a plate on the back of the body near where the heel cap would be (no heel on this neck). You open that up and you can get at some big bolts/screws that (I assume) hold on the neck.

Can anyone tell me what to do once I get the neck off? Will I be shimming or removing material from the neck?

Thanks!

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Which way is the neck going? If it is bent back you will shim and maybe shave. If it is bowed inward you shave and maybe shim. Gotta get the neck straight first though.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 AM

The neck is actually pretty straight - if anything it's bent inward a bit... But I'm out of saddle, the action is pretty high, and the bridge has kind of "rolled" forward some (the guitar has a bit of a belly).

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM

I've got the exact guitar with the same problem. I bought it used in '76 and it served me well for many years but now the action is so high that I keep it tuned a step down and seldom play it.
Fender American Prof II Telecaster
Martin Backpacker
Old 07-15-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GA View Post
I've got the exact guitar with the same problem. I bought it used in '76 and it served me well for many years but now the action is so high that I keep it tuned a step down and seldom play it.
It's a shame too because mine has a unique tone to it that I really like.

Mine has a couple of other minor issues as well - I figured I would try to fix them myself so as to learn a little about repairing/restoring guitars.

It also has some sentimental value which is why I am willing to put some elbow grease into it and spend a little $$$ on it if necessary.

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

The Truss rod should correct your bow. Get a straight edge to guide you on your neck angle correction. You want the Straight edge to just graze the horizon of the top of the bridge.
If you shave off too much it is good to have some Mahogany or Maple scrap to superglue on and try again.
Good luck! Take lotso pictures for us to see.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutr0 View Post
Mine has a couple of other minor issues as well - I figured I would try to fix them myself so as to learn a little about repairing/restoring guitars.

It also has some sentimental value which is why I am willing to put some elbow grease into it and spend a little $$$ on it if necessary.
I give you a lot of credit for trying. the neck/fretboard on mine has actually dented the top of the guitar near the sound hole.
Fender American Prof II Telecaster
Martin Backpacker
Old 07-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutr0 View Post
Hi all.

A thread about old Epiphones in the General Discussion forum reminded me about my FT-130 sitting in the corner of my office that needs a neck reset in a bad way.

I'm hoping that some here will be familiar with these all-lam Japanese guitars.

It's got a bolt-on neck - and when I say bolt-on I mean bolt-on like a Stratocaster. It's got a plate on the back of the body near where the heel cap would be (no heel on this neck). You open that up and you can get at some big bolts/screws that (I assume) hold on the neck.

Can anyone tell me what to do once I get the neck off? Will I be shimming or removing material from the neck?

Thanks!
Shim it, new saddle, you should be good to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair