The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Default Open tuners vs. closed tuners: how do you decide?

I've seen some very, very nice custom guitars with open tuners, and some eqully nice guitars with closed tuners. As luthiers, what goes into your decision when choosing tuners?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 AM

I went with the closed (Goto 510’s) because in the past, the ones that I have seen were smooth and had a great feel to them. Plus, I liked how they looked!

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Its an easy decision, from our end. Gotoh 510's are our standard tuner unless the customer specs another tuner. These are the smoothest tuner on the market IMO and the graceful lines compliment a high quality "modern style" instrument. Open tuners have there place too but I feel they are better suited aesthetically to more traditional guitar designs.

Having said that we have a custom set of hand made solid sterling silver Rodgers tuners waiting in the wings for a MiniMac guitar in process now. They are very high quality tuners and feel quite smooth for an open tuner but the real test will be how they feel with strings and under tension.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Weight. Open back tuners usually weigh much less, especially with wood buttons.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM

I like the look of open tuners. The weight is also a plus. I like to use my guitars, though. I need tuners that will survive where there might be sand or dust. That means closed for me.

Ed
Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Basically, whatever works for you. Closed modern tuners look bad on my traditional designs so I use open. Weight is also a consideration.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I agree that Gotoh 510s are great tuners. I decide based on the flavor of the instrument. Some guitars look right with closed backs, some open. Haans' point regarding weight is a good one, also.

Chris.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 AM

My designs tend to be a little more on the traditional side, so I usually prefer the look of open geared tuners on my instruments. Also, the added weight of closed geared tuners is very noticeable to me.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
I need tuners that will survive where there might be sand or dust. That means closed for me.
If you get in a sandstorm so bad that it affects your tuners, they will be the least of your concerns.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM

I do not care for the look of the Gotoh 510 tuners, but they are excellent in every other way. Sealed tuners are always my choice unless weight is an issue; if the head needs to be light I use open backs with a slotted headstock.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 PM

I am not a luthier but I can't see using a design which exposes the gears to dirt and grime out of deference to romantic feelings for more primitive designs.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby Chic View Post
I do not care for the look of the Gotoh 510 tuners, but they are excellent in every other way. Sealed tuners are always my choice unless weight is an issue; if the head needs to be light I use open backs with a slotted headstock.
I agree that the typical buttons on the 510 don't go with some guitar designs. I ordered a custom set of 510's (21:1) with Schaller M6 (large) style buttons for my Martin. Look just like the stock tuners in the front and the housing doesn't look all that different from the stock tuners.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:43 PM

I own instruments with both styles of gears.

Personally, from a performance standpoint I prefer closed gears. The only maintenance they ever need is to have their clutch screws firmed up from time to time. As for the weight issue, I typically either get them with wooden or plastic buttons on them or change out the stock metal buttons for aftermarket buttons once I get the instrument in hand.

Cast metal buttons typically weigh a little more than an ounce apiece, so putting ebony or ivoroid aftermarket buttons on a set of sealed gear 510's will save you nearly half a pound of unnecessary weight on the headstock. I like the way they look, as well, so it's a win-win situation.

whm
Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I own instruments with both styles of gears.

Personally, from a performance standpoint I prefer closed gears. The only maintenance they ever need is to have their clutch screws firmed up from time to time. As for the weight issue, I typically either get them with wooden or plastic buttons on them or change out the stock metal buttons for aftermarket buttons once I get the instrument in hand.

Cast metal buttons typically weigh a little more than an ounce apiece, so putting ebony or ivoroid aftermarket buttons on a set of sealed gear 510's will save you nearly half a pound of unnecessary weight on the headstock. I like the way they look, as well, so it's a win-win situation.

whm
I must be doing the arithmetic wrong but the way I figure it 6 ounces = 0.375 lb. so the net savings would be less than half a pound - 0.375 lb minus the weight of the substitute buttons.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM

6 ounces hanging on the headstock can affect tone, especially on a guitar with a light neck. Sometimes weight on the headstock is a good thing though.

I don't really have a preference on tuner styles. I like Gotoh 510's, but they're available in an open geared version too. (SE510's)

I like Waverly's too. They're nice tuners and they're made in the US.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop