The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-26-2017, 02:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

One reason I started this thread was the hope to address an observation I have in how when someone says "For me it's all about the tone" or someone else says "No matter how good a guitar sounds if the playability isn't there it just isn't a keeper". They just say it but, when someone says the look or beauty of a guitar is very important, that statement is often accompanied by an apology.

I have a commission I am working on right now for a lullaby guitar. This is for a father that wants to have a guitar to play for his two very young daughters when putting them to bed at night. I am struck with what an honor and privilege it is to participate, in my way, to this wonderful goal. When those two little girls are grown and are telling their grandchildren the stories of when they were little girls they will likely still remember their dad singing and playing them to sleep at night. Do you think I have any inclination to apologize for the time I am spending to do all I can to make this guitar look the part for this wonderful endeavor?

So yeah, I know looks count.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 08-27-2017, 07:45 AM

Smile

Mark, there are a lot of different angles that one could look at to discuss this topic, as can be seen from the responses thus far. You are lucky to have a job in which you can generate such a variety of emotions from the objects you create. And in this particular instance, influence the lives/memories of another family on such a deep level.

As much as a guitar is a tool, in my life, it has been much more then that. It is a instrument of rare spiritual energy, a conduit to influence people in a meaningful, positive way, free from the trappings and negative influences of our lives. When neglected, they leave a longing in our hearts that is easily dispersed in a moment, after the first note is played. I have many memories of the times playing for family and friends, a shared moment in time where life has meaning. A happy set of memories, easily revisited every time I pick up a guitar and play.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Mark, there are a lot of different angles that one could look at to discuss this topic, as can be seen from the responses thus far. You are lucky to have a job in which you can generate such a variety of emotions from the objects you create. And in this particular instance, influence the lives/memories of another family on such a deep level.

As much as a guitar is a tool, in my life, it has been much more then that. It is a instrument of rare spiritual energy, a conduit to influence people in a meaningful, positive way, free from the trappings and negative influences of our lives. When neglected, they leave a longing in our hearts that is easily dispersed in a moment, after the first note is played. I have many memories of the times playing for family and friends, a shared moment in time where life has meaning. A happy set of memories, easily revisited every time I pick up a guitar and play.
Hi IBKuz...

Such a beautiful and perfect way to describe what and how the guitar can be such a great force in our lives...so well said good sir...

And to build on that...as John Denver once sang...

"Music makes pictures, and often tells stories
All of it magic, and all of it true.

And all of the pictures, and all of the stories
And all of the magic, the music is you."

duff
Old 08-27-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I would be overly self-conscious about it - afraid I would be perceived as showing off my money more than my chops.
There's always going to be some haters no matter what you do. I grew up in a very poor family. If I have no money, that's fine. If I do well, that's fine, too. I think the same about others. I don't judge people based on how deep their pockets are and I would expect reasonable people to think the same about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
If I were to commission a build from Mark or Bruce or Tim - all builders I admire greatly, along with many others who post here - I would ask them to make the guitar as plain as possible, so as not to draw attention to itself. If the sound drew attention, that would be fine and I would be happy to praise it to the skies.
I say commission whatever you fancy and disregard what others might think. If you like bling, go for it. If you don't, then don't.

The sound will draw attention if the instrument is played well. That remains by far the most effective way to leave a positive impression about a guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky62 View Post
I remember a friend telling me that if you go out with an OM42, with it being pretty showy, you better be good. You are probably right.
Personally I think it's all in the attitude... If you show up with a guitar covered with pearl but you're being nice and humble about it, people would be hard pressed to bad mouth you in any way, even if you can't play.

But if you show up with a guitar, no matter how plain or ugly it is, and go on and on about how great it sounds and how it's a perfect match for your "style", and then you take it out of its case and you can barely play a clean chord let alone have a "style", I don't know...

I'd want to hang out with the nice and humble guy, no matter how much bling is on his guitar.

Last edited by JoeCharter; 08-27-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Point well taken Jim. Charlie Chronopoulos is a studio artist that has played for a number of my guitar sound clips lately. I've also been to his studio to have some recording done. You are absolutely right, it's a different world with a different language. When Charlie plays one of my guitars that he really likes his greatest compliment is; "I'd love to hear this well recorded". I'm going to make him a recording guitar and look forward to all I'll learn in the process.

Make sure it's mahogany
Old 08-27-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The sound will draw attention if the instrument is played well. That remains by far the most effective way to leave a positive impression about a guitar.
That's it .. in a nutshell. Beauty is in the tone.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:04 PM

Mark:
That sounds like a great commission. I'd be willing to bet that what those girls are going to remember later in life is mostly that it was their father playing for them, but if they do think about the guitar it will be the tone they'll mention. They might remember if it was particularly homely, but given your level of work I'm not concerned about that. They are also likely to remember some particular attractive detail of it's appearance, but it's hard to know what that might be. I have a fond memory of the little coral necklace my mother used to wear on those rare occasions when she got dressed up to go out, for example, but can't think of what color the dress was.

As for any mismatch between the instrument and the player:
The best sounding fiddle I ever worked on was French trade violin that I got to re-work for practice. It was obviously a cheap instrument; it was stamped 'violin' on the back of the scroll so you wouldn't use it as a door stop. Inside the top was only roughly gouged out, and it was very thick, even in the thinnest spots. However, the outside arch shapes were good, and the wood was very nice. When I got it to the 'ideal' thicknesses all of the tap tones were right where they were supposed to be. I put it back together and it lived up to it's promise; easy to play with wonderful tone and lots of 'color' and power. I sold it easily so a fiddler who uses it for dances. It still looks like a cheap fiddle, of course, and I'm sure that when he takes it out of the case people notice that. I imagine, though that once he hits it with the bow they think: " He must be some kind of great player to get that much sound out of such a bad fiddle!" It's probably better for your reputation to play on a lesser seeming instrument with great tone...
Old 08-27-2017, 06:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
Mark:
That sounds like a great commission. I'd be willing to bet that what those girls are going to remember later in life is mostly that it was their father playing for them, but if they do think about the guitar it will be the tone they'll mention. They might remember if it was particularly homely, but given your level of work I'm not concerned about that. They are also likely to remember some particular attractive detail of it's appearance, but it's hard to know what that might be. I have a fond memory of the little coral necklace my mother used to wear on those rare occasions when she got dressed up to go out, for example, but can't think of what color the dress was.

As for any mismatch between the instrument and the player:
The best sounding fiddle I ever worked on was French trade violin that I got to re-work for practice. It was obviously a cheap instrument; it was stamped 'violin' on the back of the scroll so you wouldn't use it as a door stop. Inside the top was only roughly gouged out, and it was very thick, even in the thinnest spots. However, the outside arch shapes were good, and the wood was very nice. When I got it to the 'ideal' thicknesses all of the tap tones were right where they were supposed to be. I put it back together and it lived up to it's promise; easy to play with wonderful tone and lots of 'color' and power. I sold it easily so a fiddler who uses it for dances. It still looks like a cheap fiddle, of course, and I'm sure that when he takes it out of the case people notice that. I imagine, though that once he hits it with the bow they think: " He must be some kind of great player to get that much sound out of such a bad fiddle!" It's probably better for your reputation to play on a lesser seeming instrument with great tone...
Thanks Alan, It is a great opportunity. You know after reading many of the responses and thinking this through a bit, it occurs to me that some players sometimes might feel that their builder may be competing for some of the attention they get while performing. That seems odd to me because I just don't think that way. I often describe what I do as a custom builder as being like a tailor. You pick the style or look of the suit you want and I'll make it fit and try to make you look good wearing it. Now I will participate in comparing tailors' work but, with a client the relationship is we're on the same team, not competitors. I want you to play, sound, and look great. Make lots of money. Buy a bunch more guitars!
As for the dad singing his daughters to sleep I certainly wouldn't be trying to compete for their memories. As I said, it was my honor to just, participate "in my way". In other words, I'm happy something I make could just be there.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop