The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Default trying a project

might try a telecaster guitar kit, good learning project with no huge financial loss, looking at the BYO and Fetish, not sure which one is better with mixed reviews on both, any ideas? apparently the hardware on both seem to be rated as usable junk that works, im ok with that, pricing 'all' the upgrades doesnt make sense buying a kit in my case, id save just by buying a used MIM fender, but are there some basic upgrades that SHOULD be changed, prefer to keep that cost under $50- TIA- john
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-11-2017, 01:58 PM

As far as a kit and upgrades are concerned, if I was loading a Telecaster from scratch the hardware would cost me around $400 - $500, so buying a Mexico Tele would be a better deal. But the only reason to build one rather than buy one is you want to build one more than you want to simply own one. A MIM Telecaster is a top notch guitar, most people would be hard-pressed to build one from a kit, or from scratch, that was as good. Oddly, even knowing that I still continue to build guitars...
Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM

As Brian points out, and someone else here said, "Making a guitar to save money is like buying a boat to save money on fish". In short, one generally does it because one feels compelled, not in the hope of saving money on the finished product.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 PM

lets put it this way, i know im not a guitar builder and not expecting quality parts, its more of- 'hey, look what i built for $99' , i do have some woodworking and finishing experience, i feel pretty positive about it looking good if nothing else, but i think its a great way to learn about how guitars work without spending a fortune
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 PM

If you're gonna play it, put some money into quality hardware. The aggravation of cheap hardware goes on long after the thrill of low price wears off.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:52 PM

I have a G&L and I am making a low buck Tele for the heck of it. Also because when I work on my guitar amps I don't want the G&L to get knocked about and a pine one won't really care.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:42 AM

i know, i read your thread many times, i cant over how super that thing looks! i dont comment very much, but i should have of
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-12-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
might try a telecaster guitar kit, good learning project with no huge financial loss,

Personally, I differ to a few others opinions.

Do it....

However do not spend more money on the guitar, use it a as a learning and building experience, after its finished and you have played it for a while, donate it to a local school, rather than invest more money into the kit.

Once you have that one under your belt, you will be more informed or more invested in the next build.

Every build improves your skills, with any luck in a year or two you will be posting back your most current build where your making your own pickups, own body and neck, its all hand skills and everyone needs to start somewhere.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair