The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-08-2016, 01:14 AM

Default UST's and 'through' vintage style bridges

Hi
After having great success with a Baggs Anthem SL fitted in my Mcilroy A25c, I decided to try the same with my Martin OM28V.
A different can of worms it seems.
The amplified sound was no where near expected, and the acoustic tone and volume also suffered. I soldiered on for several months thinking it was me, and one day decided to remove the UST from the bridge. It sprang back into life acoustically.
So I asked Baggs (and my luthier), why would this be? Baggs suggested that because the saddle is a 'through' saddle, that it needs 'nothching' underneath, ie a notch .020 to .025" deep 1/2" or more, to help improve the situation. My luthier had not heard of this.
So, question is, has anyone else heard of this, and does Bagg's recommendation work?
The alternative is K&K Pure Mini and outboard pre's etc, but as the SL can work so well (and it is already in the guitar), I am keen to explore how to fix it.
Any advice or experience with this, I would love to hear about.

Thanks
Nick
Old 09-09-2016, 12:07 AM

I have a LR Baggs Anthem SL in my OM28v and it sounds fantastic - both plugged in and unplugged.

I've owned that guitar for seven years and played it everyday so I think I would have noticed if the acoustic sound was affected by the install and I don't believe it was.

Mine is a 2008 model and the through saddle is not a true through saddle - it's essentially a drop in saddle that is just longer to give the appearance of being a through saddle - what year is your OM28v?

I did have an ANthem installed in a 00028VS which does have a true through saddle and that sounded very thin when plugged in and I think the unplugged tone was affected as well but my OM has never sounded better...
Old 09-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the last post on this: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=231084

Steve
Old 09-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
I have a LR Baggs Anthem SL in my OM28v and it sounds fantastic - both plugged in and unplugged.

I've owned that guitar for seven years and played it everyday so I think I would have noticed if the acoustic sound was affected by the install and I don't believe it was.

Mine is a 2008 model and the through saddle is not a true through saddle - it's essentially a drop in saddle that is just longer to give the appearance of being a through saddle - what year is your OM28v?

I did have an ANthem installed in a 00028VS which does have a true through saddle and that sounded very thin when plugged in and I think the unplugged tone was affected as well but my OM has never sounded better...

That helps a lot. Mine is 2011, and I take your point about the saddle. So I may have a fit problem that I will check out. Thanks - Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification