The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-29-2016, 08:58 AM

Smile Fishman platinum pro eq (newest model ) vs Radial pz pre

Is there anyone who has tried a / b test on Fishman platinum pro eq the latest model and Radial pz pre ? ..
And then another question , can I use Boss 9V power adapter of 250 mA at my Fishman pro eq ( latest model ) when Fishman says that there must be 200mA ?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fenderman View Post
Is there anyone who has tried a / b test on Fishman platinum pro eq the latest model and Radial pz pre ? ..
And then another question , can I use Boss 9V power adapter of 250 mA at my Fishman pro eq ( latest model ) when Fishman says that there must be 200mA ?
Hi 2Fenderman…

Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad you joined and jumped in with a question.

I've not seen the new Radial, but have preferred the Baggs comparable version to the Radial. It's about features, and not sure there is enough difference in output tone which could not be adjusted for using tone controls on the board/amp and the preamp in combo.

The only feature some say they like is two inputs, but I have yet to see anyone playing live using them with multiple guitars (which you'd still need to adjust tone for individually when you switch instruments).

I actually looked at mono preamps and decided to purchase the Fishman Platinum Stage as I don't need an active boost pedal, nor a built in tuner. I've been using it as my primary mono preamp for over a year, and it replaced the Baggs ParaDI in our rig.

The Fishman Platinum Stage has sweepable mids, auto ground adjustment, selectable bass cut, pre/post XLR and simultaneous 1/4" and XLR output, plus adjustable input gain and output Master (plus line level out). And it's less than half the price of the two you listed. And it's about 1/3 the size of the Platinum Pro.

Of the two you list, it would sure be able to plug your rig into both and play them to compare the features and output.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-29-2016, 11:11 AM

Out of curiosity, have you checked out the Radial PZ-Deluxe? I only ask because if you are interested in the single input Fishman, the Radial Pz Pre might be overkill.

I haven't tried the newest Platinum Pro eq but I do own the Pz Deluxe, which apparently sounds identical to the pz-pre. I also own the original Platinum Pro plus the Spectrum DI. I feel that the Radial units have a much more transparent and smooth tone, but I actually really like Fishman preamps/Di's in general. They tend to sound a bit more hi-fi but in a musical and pleasing way. With the Pz Deluxe, I felt I always wanted more high end. With the original Platinum Pro/Spectrum, I liked everything flat. I do find Fishman Di's to have a bit less hiss but that's getting picky since the Radial units are pretty quiet as well. They are both great though, you really can't go wrong with either.

One thing to consider is the power requirements. If you are planning to build a pedalboard then you might not like the Radial. It has an odd power requirement that most power supplies do not have.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM

How about you take a look at the Source Audio Programmable EQ. For Eq needs it seems to be adequate for a small price. You can have four programmed Eq settings controllable by footswitch. This can be used to easily change Eq settings from song to song or when you use more than one guitar and you want different Eq settings for each.
For notch, sweepable mids, phase, you may still want another preamp that provides that. As usual it all depends how much stuff you want to carry with you and mess with.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 08-29-2016, 03:48 PM

If you can find a store that has multiple types I would try them. I preferred the LR Baggs Venue over the Fishman Platinum Pro for my setup. Fishman may sound better for your situation is why I say to try some different ones. The one store I shop at keeps a schertler jam 400 in stock which is what I have. I was able to use the same amp and test out the 2 eq pedals in a private room for about an hour before making my decision. On another note for the money the Soundcraft ui12 wireless mixer is pretty impressive. You can do lots of stuff with it.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Post Thank you for a lot of good info

Thank you for a lot of good info, I bought Fishman platinum pro eq and is very happy , it is some of the best preamp / eq i have tried, much better one Fishman aura spectrum that I have previously tried, I run a Martin HD 35 with lr baggs Antem mick system and through Fishman platinum pro eq into a Yamaha DXR 12 and it's a real nice acoustic sound , I am very satisfied. And in addition, I run it through which a Digitech Polara reverb that is some of the best reverb pedal I try for acoustic guitar , also uses a Neunaber Wet mono reverb ( 2 buttons v2) but does not seem it sounds so real that Digitech Polara , former I have had Tc electronic Hall of fame and Boss rV 5 but sold them when I did not like them . Excuse me for my bad english :-)
Old 09-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I own both and can get a pretty similar sound from both. They are both good quality pieces with slightly different feature sets. I find the compression on the Fishman handy as I play several different instruments through it so I've kind of stopped using the Radial. I think the newest generation Fishman is their best sounding preamp yet.

If you can't try them both you can safely choose based on the features you need. They are both fine sounding units.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification