The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-03-2016, 07:20 PM

Default Can I run a magnetic lr Baggs pickup in line with a K&k transducer to a mono out?

Could I add a K & k transducer system to an already existing pickup mono output? Both would have independent volume controls. Any suggestions? Many thanks
Old 09-04-2016, 05:33 PM

I don't know if those two particular pickups would work for you, but I can recall that Pick-up The World (aka PUTW) once had a passive system which would combine a mag pickup (Lace's tiny Blade pickup) with a PUTW soundboard pickup. Switches were included which could either combine the two pickups connected in parallel or series. One variation of the system also included an undersaddle pickup. As I recall, the best sounding combination (for my taste) was the SBT and the UST in parallel. The mag and the SBT in series did work, however, connecting the mag and SBT in parallel worked better for my taste.

Kansas City luthier Dave Wendler currently has a MagPi system which combines a mag with an SBT passively. I'm not sure whether the pickups are combined in series or parallel, but I know that the system also involves a potentiometer. You can actually adjust the amount of SBT signal in the blend. In any event, I liked the MagPi system very much, once I figured out how to EQ it. (I had one of Dave's MagPi equipped electrocoustic guitars.)

I recommend that you buy one of Dave's MagPi systems, unless you really enjoy experimenting with pickups. Dave has already done the homework on this type of system, and the results are very good.

Here's a link: http://www.electrocoustic.com/magpi.html
Old 09-04-2016, 06:44 PM

K&K now sells this as a system with their own mag. You can probably substitute the LR Baggs. Check their website for the preamp options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2016, 06:16 AM

Thank you! Very helpful. Greatly appreciate the info. I'll look into the k & k system!
Old 09-05-2016, 06:22 AM

The Wendler system too! Wendler website is top notch! Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 09-05-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMonsoon View Post
The Wendler system too! Wendler website is top notch! Thanks for the recommendation!
Dave has been upgrading his MagPi system recently. If you scroll down Dave's "Wendler Music" page, you can find a close-up pic of the upgraded system, plus a couple of sound samples from Dave. There's also a customer sound sample (of the system in a Taylor), but I think Dave's sound samples are better.

Here's the link to Dave's "Wendler Music" facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Wendler-Music-117742791624323/

I should mention that the MagPi system is mono out and you can take it directly to an amp with an input impedance of 1Mohm or greater. If you're running the MagPi to a PA system mixer, something as simple as a Boss GE-7 graphic equalizer can be used as a preamp. In fact, the GE-7 might be preferable to a pricier preamp which has less EQ flexibility.

Looking at the K&K Helix/Pure Mini system, I see that its a stereo out system which includes an outboard blender to mix the signals. It cost over three times the cost of the MagPi, but the extra cost does include a blender/preamp. If you intend to run the MagPi to a PA mixer input, you'll need a preamp of some sort.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic pickups