The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 PM

Default New website

Hey everyone,
I'm please to announce that my new website went live today.
Some people here had criticized my old website and I agreed with their critiques so for the past few months I've been working with a local web designed and I'm super happy with what he's come up with for me.

you can find it at http://stuartdayguitars.com

hope you enjoy
Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Slick. Looks good. If you're interested in some debugging stuff...

When the responsive design is at the three column view for text then the boilerplate design, in the lower left corner, sits on top of the text and makes it hard to read. (I'm on Safari 8.02 on Mac OS X 10.10):

best of luck!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Slick. Looks good. If you're interested in some debugging stuff...

When the responsive design is at the three column view for text then the boilerplate design, in the lower left corner, sits on top of the text and makes it hard to read. (I'm on Safari 8.02 on Mac OS X 10.10):

best of luck!
Thank you and thank you for the note. I'll take care of that.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:24 AM

Default New website

Hey Stuart,

Great website! Congratulations!

However, I did notice that some photos don't seem to have a high enough resolution. This was especially noticeable in the photos of the Church model. The strings and edge binding has the stair-step effect. Please look at the screenshot. Viewing on iPad.

You may want to ask your web development team to have a look.

Everything else was excellent.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan View Post

Hey Stuart,

Great website! Congratulations!

However, I did notice that some photos don't seem to have a high enough resolution. This was especially noticeable in the photos of the Church model. The strings and edge binding has the stair-step effect. Please look at the screenshot. Viewing on iPad.

You may want to ask your web development team to have a look.

Everything else was excellent.

Thank you. I noticed that too and actually it was happening on my last website as well. im not very knowledgable about tech stuff, but the picture seems to be coming through at a good resolution except for the strings and purfling.
I always thought it was just my older computer screen. Thanks for pointing out, I'll see if anything can be done.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

But that church model is absolutely gorgeous. Please have a drawing and secretly choose my name to win it.

That is all.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:13 AM

Nice site and VERY nice guitars.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:07 AM

It looks really nice, Stuart! Love the story of the Miki Gakki guitar sale.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartDay View Post
im not very knowledgable about tech stuff, but the picture seems to be coming through at a good resolution except for the strings and purfling
What you're seeing is a result of an image being down sampled to a lower pixel count and then being up sampled to fit. It's called 'aliasing' or 'jaggies'. It's going to happen with 'responsive design' type websites unless you use the largest pixel count necessary and have all else scaled down. Also, you're only seeing it on things like strings and purfling because they have some straightness that occurs on an angle that isn't 90º.

When something is digitized it has to be broken down into discrete chunks unlike in nature when something can have a smooth continuity. So, a straight line, in the digital world looks like this:

But, when you start to zoom in, you'll see that the straight up (90º) line is still straight, while the line at an angle (30º in this case) has a fuzzy edge to it.

And, if you zoom even further, to see the actual pixels, you can see that the illusion of a straight edge that you see from 'further back' is actually a stair step with blocks of grey filling in the gaps... this fill-in is called 'anti-aliasing'.

So, aliasing is something you'll see on lower pixel count images that are being scaled UP but it'll only be really noticeable on straight, off 90º edges (or edges of high contrast).

The solution, in most cases, is to user a larger sized image for your starting point... but some of it will still be down to the rendering of the image as it is scaled down by the browser.

Hope that helps a bit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops