The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Happy Birthday Buddy

One of the good ones for sure. Buddy Guy born on this day in 1936.

http://www.biography.com/people/buddy-guy-37980
Old 07-30-2014, 03:35 PM

Happy 78th Buddy! I saw him about 5 weeks ago. He is showing his age. Played alot of bad notes, but MAN, the passion in his playing is over the top!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

I've never been a big fan, but happy birthday anyway Buddy!

Maybe he's gotten over it by now, but in his younger days he used to try to stuff every lick he knew into each song. To say he sometimes overplayed would be a mild way of putting it.

He nearly ruins Big Mama Thorntons "Ball And Chain" with his showboating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0eooafCqFU He steps all over Thorntons vocals and plays like he's trying to finish each lick quickly so he can get on to the next one.

I suppose my little rant is inappropriate for a birthday greeting thread, so I apologize for that....but I've just never seen him as the blues virtuoso that he's made out to be.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:03 AM

Love Buddy! Saw him a few years back - great performer. Also, gotta love his guitar, that polkadot strat.
MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar
Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
I've never been a big fan, but happy birthday anyway Buddy!

Maybe he's gotten over it by now, but in his younger days he used to try to stuff every lick he knew into each song. To say he sometimes overplayed would be a mild way of putting it.

He nearly ruins Big Mama Thorntons "Ball And Chain" with his showboating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0eooafCqFU He steps all over Thorntons vocals and plays like he's trying to finish each lick quickly so he can get on to the next one.

I suppose my little rant is inappropriate for a birthday greeting thread, so I apologize for that....but I've just never seen him as the blues virtuoso that he's made out to be.
I don't think that Big Mamma song was too bad. Show boating is half of what the electric blues guitar is all about. Here he is in a classic and you can get a sense of how he was a master at string bending. Great voice and showmanship too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuRhaDrnlWo
Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 AM

Anyone ever play the Buddy Guy Strat? I'll admit, I've never listened to him.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I saw him a while back. A lot of people play the guitar. Buddy plays the audience.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I don't think that Big Mamma song was too bad. Show boating is half of what the electric blues guitar is all about. Here he is in a classic and you can get a sense of how he was a master at string bending. Great voice and showmanship too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuRhaDrnlWo
That video is good stuff, but that's his band and his show, so he should be the center of attraction.

On the Big Mama song he's a sideman, and in my opinion, overstepped his role. He played well....but too much.

But to each his own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars