The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Need Suggestions - 1967 D18

Below is a link to pics of a '67 D-18 I recently acquired. The white pickguards were on it when I got it - been on there probably 35 or 40 years. I had to find out the extent of the top damage before I sold it (or kept it) so I pulled them off. You can see the results in the pics. I lost very little wood - just a few slivers on the treble side. The bass side came off pretty good. Mostly it was where the glue (unknown) used to put on the white guards interacted with the area where the original guard was. You can also see the areas where epoxy was used to fill the damaged areas beside the fingerboard before the white guards were installed. I had originally thought about cleaning it up and installing new black pickguards to cover the damaged areas but not sure I'd like the look of it over what's there now. I'm leaning toward cleaning it up and filling the rough areas, overspraying with nitro, then putting a normal Greven pickguard on it and let the rest of the 'ugly' show. The action is 3/32" at the 12th and the neck is straight but only 1/16" of saddle so the neck will have to be reset at some point.

Just looking for suggestions from all you repair folks out there. What do you all think?

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/SkipEllis/
Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Skip, have you considered refinishing the top all together, I can't think of a better candidate - if done professionally it will look great and - I assume - not devalue it anymore than it already has been.

BTW, do you plan to keep or sell?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I have it listed for sale on AGF and UMGF.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 PM

In that case I wouldn't do anything to it at this point.

Unless you have the experience, trying to prep it for sale could make it look worse and kill potential buyers who might want to have it refinished - it's amazing what the right person can do to fix up that top.

Of course everything depends on what you're asking given the top condition and the need for a reset (+ compression fretting). Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair