The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 AM

Default New Paint Job risky?

Last year I bought a Dreadnought and even if the paint job is great, a dark sunburst is not my thing.
I even went to a guitar store to buy another guitar, but none sounds better then mine.
So, I've contacted the makers of my guitar and they promised me that they can repaint it without affecting the solidity or the sound of the instrument.

Anyone here had done something similar?
How about the sound and the solidity?

thanks
Old 07-16-2011, 05:43 AM

What brand of guitar is it and what finish do you want?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 AM

It's a Boucher mahogany, great guitar....the one I have!
It is a dark sunburst that I have on mine,
The finish I desire is a Light sunburst exactly like the Gibson Hummingbird orange, iced tea color!

http://www.guitareboucher.com/conten...9/330/lang,en/

Last edited by sega62; 07-16-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:51 AM

Did they give you an estimate? The cost to strip the old finish off and re-spray is probably going to be significant. You might net out better just trading yours for one in a finish you prefer. Not worrying about it and sticking with what you have would be option.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Did they give you an estimate? The cost to strip the old finish off and re-spray is probably going to be significant. You might net out better just trading yours for one in a finish you prefer. Not worrying about it and sticking with what you have would be option.
Yes, $650+taxes. apprx $725 overall
The thing is if I sell it I lose right away $700, and secondly I dont get a instrument as good, I tried a lot of em, and mine sounds lot better, I've tried Martin d-series, and Gibson's hummingbirds, j-185 and a Songwriter, and none of em sound as clear, and transparent as mine.

there you have it!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sega62 View Post
The thing is if I sell it I lose right away $700, and secondly I dont get a instrument as good, I tried a lot of em, and mine sounds lot better, I've tried Martin d-series, and Gibson's hummingbirds, j-185 and a Songwriter, and none of em sound as clear, and transparent as mine.

there you have it!
Your money but I would not put another $700 in just to change the finish. Have you considered that the sound may change with the refinish?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Your money but I would not put another $700 in just to change the finish. Have you considered that the sound may change with the refinish?
They told me no it would not change the sound, it's the same cie so it would be apprx the same sound, I hope!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 AM

If I'd rely liked the sound of an guitar i would not risk it. It's not reversible, i guess. Just my c 2.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sega62 View Post

there you have it!
I agree with your thinking. If you sell it you may spend a BUNCH trying to replace it with one you like as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
If I'd rely liked the sound of an guitar i would not risk it. It's not reversible, i guess. Just my c 2.
It's almost impossible to do a complete re finish without removing some wood, which will change the tone.......but....... most 'burst finishes have a sealer coat or 2 under the color coats. It's possible to remove the color coats, leaving the sealer, then re apply the top coats. This woudn't be likely to change the tone. My concern would be compatability of the sealer coats, with the new color coats, but since Boucher built the guitar, and will be doing the refinish they'll use compatable materials. (since they know exactly what was used the first time).
Old 07-18-2011, 06:31 AM

It's almost impossible to do a complete re finish without removing some wood, which will change the tone.......but....... most 'burst finishes have a sealer coat or 2 under the color coats. It's possible to remove the color coats, leaving the sealer, then re apply the top coats. This woudn't be likely to change the tone. My concern would be compatability of the sealer coats, with the new color coats, but since Boucher built the guitar, and will be doing the refinish they'll use compatable materials. (since they know exactly what was used the first time).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will ask em about the sealer applied before the burst color!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair