The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Default BOSS AD-2 acoustic resonance pedal

Has anyone tried one of these? They look like a good alternative to TC's Bodyrez.

https://youtu.be/GLTTFXbHX-k

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-26-2017, 02:31 PM

I've got one. The reverb is nice. The notch filter is a bit wide and changes the tone more than I would ideally prefer. The resonance feature sounds good to me at 9 o'clock for my MiSi Trio (Baggs Element UST) in my RainSong H-DR1100N2. It is subtle enough that I have not bothered to bring it on a gig (I play in a duo mostly at restaurants and other noisy venues). I've never tried a TC Bodyrez so I can't give any comparative judgement. I guess I found it good enough to not bother returning (faint praise?).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 PM

It seems like a nice, compact, DI/preamp. However, besides its pocket size, I'm not sure it does anything revolutionary. It obviously has reverb and I'm guessing the resonance is some type of compression and maybe saturation effect, which will add a little attack and body to a piezo signal.

You could probably do the same with the Baggs Session DI/Preamp and a reverb, or any other limiter/exciter effect that could calm the spikes that are common w/USTs.

Baggs just debuted a Session preamp that is installed inside the guitar, which obviously isn't a DI, but it would probably be great to squash the high-output of a UST (in this case, the Element) and reduce quack at the first gain stage. Rick Turner has tried to do this with an 18v preamp, which helps, but a bit of compression right at the pickup could be a good solution too. I think Doyle Dykes has the Session built into his new Godin signature model, which has the Baggs LB6 & a SBT installed. The Session would probably pair really well with the LB6, which is my favorite UST.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:12 PM

The session is nearly 3 times the cost in the U.K. It's more of a comparison to the Bodyrez pedal

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-27-2017, 04:51 PM

I looked at the BodyRez (every demo sounds like it's adding brightness, not body), and the Boss (mostly because it had reverb), but I went with a Zoom MS-50G instead. I'm only using a little bit of compressor and a little bit of reverb, added plus it's also a mute/tuner. I just got it today, and while it doesn't quite "measure up" to the digital effects in my modeling amp (Fender GDEC), nobody would know it but me, because I'm A/Bing them from 12" away LOL. It should do the job fine for gigs, just to help a little with the piezo quack and dryness.

It's also got all kinds of other crap in it, including EQs, but I'm keeping simple, my guitars both have decent onboard preamps. Used/mint, got a good deal.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM

Default Boss AD-2 - hit and miss

I've just bought one off a guy who hoped it would make his Taylor sound better though a PA but it didn't....

I've tried it with a Takamine F365-S (a 1974 Guild F50R copy) with a B-band fitted and it makes the amplified guitar sound worse. I'm using a Genz Benz Shenandoah 100 and the Boss AD-2 does the following:

1) drops the volume
2) scoops the lows (all the 'weight' is gone)
3) Boosts the highs.

Essentially it's horrible. Although, who knows, perhaps it will work for someone else.

The Taka sounds great, straight into the Genz but I was wondering whether I could get a bit 'more'!

I'll sell the AD-2 and try an 'Xvive MIKE' pedal. I've got a friend with a 'BodyRez' so I'll give that a go and see if it's helpful. But at the moment the Boss AD-2 is a 'sound crippler' for me and there is no benefit at all. It took me 5 minutes to hate it!

Ha, ha!

Oh well, I'll try something else......

Oh, and lastly, just to say - the Boss AD-2 is called a 'Preamp' - but there is no EQ, and no input or output volume. I don't know why they call it a 'preamp'? For me it's not a preamp, I'm, a bit lost as to what that's all about!

Last edited by JazzyJ; 06-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:04 PM

Strange, that's not my experience. Are you sure you don't have the notch filter dialed in and scooping the lows. I keep it all the way counterclockwise (off) unless I need it. I also only use a touch of the resonance effect (about 30%). Mine sounds really nice. I wonder if yours is faulty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 07:26 AM

A little more on my experience with the Boss AD-2. In the instructions they warn against using rechargeable batteries. I imagine that this is because a standard 9v rechargeable is actually only 7.2v. There are also 8.4v and 9.6v batteries in this format. I use a 9.6v rechargeable and it works well. It can easily get through any gig on one charge.

The level I get from the output is the same as what I get from the input. I see neither cut nor boost.

The notch filter is handy but a bit broad. I do hear it scooping out more than just the offending frequency.

There are 2 outs. One of them is a regular 1/4" guitar level output. The other is TRS balanced. To use it as a direct box you need a TRS to XLR cable.

The reverb is plain but that's how I like reverbs. There is a hidden function to remove it from the balanced out. This can be handy if you are using a powered speaker as a monitor. It gives you reverb in your monitor without sending it to the sound man.

I never use more than a touch of the ambience effect (about 30%). I do the same thing if I'm using my Boss VE-8. The sound I am going for is the same as what you would hear if you were using both a pickup and a mic and had the mic just mixed in a little. It suits my taste well and I regularly get compliments on my guitar sound. This is with a Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, but I used it on a Martin with an LR Baggs M-80 pickup before that with similar results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification