The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 AM

Hi dreamincolor,

I use an Xotic EP Booster; very small footprint, high quality, doesn't mess with the tone, no "popping" etc., ...works great for me.
http://www.xotic.us/effects/ep_booster/

Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Just thought of one other thing you might consider. This little pedal gets good reviews and is well made. Its the Behringer ADI21. Its an acoustic modeler, pre-amp DI box that can do exactly what you are looking for and also, maybe even enhance your tone. At $49 MSRP and usually found for $38 street, its a easy chance to take to see if it will work. It has been a Godsend in making my Taylor with the ES system come alive when going to a mixer/PA system.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/ADI21.aspx

2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM

Gotta give it to the Baggs Venue. I previously used a Boss GE-7. The Venue may be pricey if all you are going to use it for is a boost. However, its well worth the $$$ because it has so many other features.
Rogue Spider Resonator
Fishman Loudbox Mini
L.R. Baggs Venue
Kentucky KM-505 mando
Hohner Special 20 harps
Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
I play acoustic guitar in a 4-6 piece ensemble that includes another acoustic player, electric guitar, bass, mandolin and percussion. When I switch from strumming with a plectrum to fingerstyle or when taking a lead, I often find myself "lost" in the mix. Is there a pedal that boosts the volume for this sort of application. I tried a Boss Super Overdrive pedal and the results were terrible (these are obviously made for electric guitars). Ideally I'd like to find something with a simple switch for turning the extra volume on/off.

Thanks for your feedback/suggestions.
The first question people should ask would be the setting in which you typically play. The equipment you already have, and - primarily - your budget.

I would be a little wary of 'suggestions' like the Baggs Venue or Radial (more like toots by people chuffed with personal purchases). They may be great pieces of gear in their own right, but overkill for your apparent needs, based on your limited description.

If your budget is in the high dollar area, AND you see the need for a DI box, and need a tuner, then the Venue will cover that, but that's not what your post asks for.

I think the Exotic boost pedal suggestion at least begins to embrace the question originally set by the OP. Although even there I see a small potential problem: its TINY, and may not be designed to be placed singularly on a stage floor, where it may easily capsize. I may be wrong, but something that small may be designed to sit on a pedalboard where it won't be kicked over.

I think the whole clean boost pedal thing is a little overdone: a 6 - 12dB line level driver is hardly rocket science, and certainly not worth the Keeley, etc., asking prices.

The venerable Boss EQ pedal is perfectly adequate, and gives you a bit of tone shaping to boot (quite literally).

The heads up on the true-bypass switching noise was astute - in an acoustic setting, where thumps become even more of an issue, you may want to watch for that.

Don't forget that if your guitar has on-board active volume, you can always learn to use that. Sound check with some soloing over the band with volume full up, and then turn down to rhythm level as a genearl setting.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 AM

I'm confused about something... Are you guys talking about an audible "pop" when using a true-bypass pedal or a regular pedal? I've used both and don't have that issue with either, not even my homemade TB effect loop pedals.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM

Some pedals, true bypass and even buffered, will pop. It depends on a lot of variables but a good quality pedal will have been designed to eliminate the general causes of this popping sound due to applied voltage changes, LED circuits and the such. I only had one TB pedal that popped and it was exchanged by the manufacturer for one that did not. I have over 12 True Bypass pedals and none of them POP when engaged.

Some popping occurs when pedals are engaged during playing and that has to do with the circuitry also. A lot of the solutions to this are to engage it during a quiet passage or turn it on or off before you play. Anyway, I do not want to side-track this discussion. I believe the OP has a few good suggestions here and just needs to investigate what will work.

OH, and as for the one pedal being too small and tipping. Never had that problem even with the smallest pedals. Once the plugs are in, even right angle, the stability is good.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 PM

FWIW, I've never had any pop problems with my GE-7.

Louis
Old 11-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yairisan View Post
The first question people should ask would be the setting in which you typically play. The equipment you already have, and - primarily - your budget.

I would be a little wary of 'suggestions' like the Baggs Venue or Radial (more like toots by people chuffed with personal purchases). They may be great pieces of gear in their own right, but overkill for your apparent needs, based on your limited description.

If your budget is in the high dollar area, AND you see the need for a DI box, and need a tuner, then the Venue will cover that, but that's not what your post asks for.

I think the Exotic boost pedal suggestion at least begins to embrace the question originally set by the OP. Although even there I see a small potential problem: its TINY, and may not be designed to be placed singularly on a stage floor, where it may easily capsize. I may be wrong, but something that small may be designed to sit on a pedalboard where it won't be kicked over.

I think the whole clean boost pedal thing is a little overdone: a 6 - 12dB line level driver is hardly rocket science, and certainly not worth the Keeley, etc., asking prices.

The venerable Boss EQ pedal is perfectly adequate, and gives you a bit of tone shaping to boot (quite literally).

The heads up on the true-bypass switching noise was astute - in an acoustic setting, where thumps become even more of an issue, you may want to watch for that.

Don't forget that if your guitar has on-board active volume, you can always learn to use that. Sound check with some soloing over the band with volume full up, and then turn down to rhythm level as a genearl setting.
Thank you - this is some really good advice/information. The DI capability would be a nice feature, especially when playing with the full group (outdoors) when we use our larger mixing board. The tuner (as on the Baggs Venue) is not something I have any need for. I do have a volume control for my on-board electronics, but it's a very small dial location inside the soundhole and is very difficult to adjust back and forth during a song.

I've been amazed (and a bit overwhelmed) by the number of different suggestions in this thread. I tend to gravitate towards simplicity, so something that has less buttons/dials/switches would appeal to me. The Behringer pedal is very inexpensive - I was hoping to stay under $125 for this purchase. It appears there are several options within this price range (new and used).

Thanks again to all for the numerous replies. I aim to do a bit of research and perhaps even get some "hands on" experience at a guitar shop or two before making a purchase.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Dreamincolor, where do you live in Virginia? PM me. If its close enough, I have several pedals you can borrow and see if they will do the job. I work in Winchester and Fairfax so if we can meet up. I would be more than willing to help you out in this decision. I have listed three below that will do what you want with the SD booster being the simplest.

Seymour Duncan Pickup booster (basic in/out, one knob, 6 to 25 db)

Behringer ADI21 ( very good for going to a monitor and the mixer, warms up the tone, and with the level adj. can be used just as a boost.)

Zoom Acoustic A2 ( lots of options, too many, however does not have a balanced output)
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Brad - sent you an email!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification