The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Only takes one guy to incite a mob.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM

You need to humidify your whole house- not just the guitar .
Its not exspensive -say 70 bucks or so for a small Holmes you could pick up at the W store - the small ones like that ( think their like 2 1/2 gallons ) do need to be filled everyday -but thats not much to ask.If your guitar is damaged by low humidity , sometimes they straighten them selves out when you take them somewhere with proper humidity . The 5 gallon Bemis ones are better but then they are over 200 smackers . ( I own one of each - as a back-up )

I dont think the luthier will honor your warranty if its your fault -but maybe theirs something else here im not seeing . I bought a mandolin off of Fleabay about 8-10 years ago that was severly dried out - i was so angry when the seller wouldnt make good on it , i just stuck it in a closet and kinda forgot about it - went back a few months latter and it pretty much straightened itself out ( maybe 90 percent ).i had a luthier tell me in a few cases when folks had humidity problems -time in a proper humidified house sometimes heals .( to a certain degree )
Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
My point is that there are savvy users that have looked at your past posts and know what guitars you have, you stated this is a ladder braced 12 string. Duh. The fact that there was at least one post asking so as to avoid the builder, causes concern that this could be a serious negative for said builder.

He's a great builder that I'm looking at hiring for a build in the future, and your tale doesn't put me off in the least.

I have nothing to add as to your problem, except what you have already done.
Don't let this problem stop you from working with any custom builder out there! Things happen! I'm sure it can be fixed!!!
Gee, I really want to make sure people understand that I don't think it was anything the builder did or didn't do. I've said all along, this guy builds a great guitar! Nothing but praise! I think I take good care of my instruments and my intent was to get some information from people who know more than I do about the possible causes. Thanks again to the good people of AGF!

Last edited by pete12string; 02-13-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
You need to humidify your whole house- not just the guitar .
Not if you keep the guitar in a case, properly humidified, and only take it out to play an hour or two a day.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 02-13-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
could there have been an inherent problem in the wood or the glue?
Not in my experience. It generally is a case of the guitar being assembled in a wetter environment than where it lives. For that reason, guitars assembled in the summer tend to have more problems than those assembled in the winter.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Not in my experience. It generally is a case of the guitar being assembled in a wetter environment than where it lives. For that reason, guitars assembled in the summer tend to have more problems than those assembled in the winter.
Thanks. I did not know this.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
That depends on the location. In the south or northeast summer is the humid season, in say Calif central valley or Arizona winter is the humid season. (plus 3 weeks in August)

In winter I can get away with refilling the humidifiers about 1/4th as often as in summer.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Ive been reading this thread but have nothing to add except for the whole house humidity concept. I live in the south east. My house stays around 55% humidity in summer. AC works to keep humidity removed. In winter, I always break out the portable humidifier. When levels get to 40% and below, my skin gets dry. I also use a wood burning fireplace as well mostly for the enjoyment and that sucks tons of humidity out. With the 2.5 gallon humidifier, I fill it every day and run it on max. Unless its raining out, the humidity will hover around 50% give or take 5%. For what its worth, I would not like to live in a house that was 35% humidity. Its just too dry for me. When I have a new HVAC installed one day it will also contain an adjustable humidifier.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 AM

The problem is that it's no where near 35% RH in your house in New Jersey unless you have the house humidified. It's probably closer to 10% making it MAYBE 25% in the case. In most instances, 35% wouldn't give you sharp fret issues. Just remember in the future that frets don't grow, and the only way for the frets to stick out, is the neck is shrinking, a guaranteed indication of low humidity in the case.

I know how unnerving it is to have a crack like that, but generally, from the way you described it, it should be a simple repair.

ken
Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempomatic View Post
The problem is that it's no where near 35% RH in your house in New Jersey unless you have the house humidified. It's probably closer to 10% making it MAYBE 25% in the case. In most instances, 35% wouldn't give you sharp fret issues. Just remember in the future that frets don't grow, and the only way for the frets to stick out, is the neck is shrinking, a guaranteed indication of low humidity in the case.

I know how unnerving it is to have a crack like that, but generally, from the way you described it, it should be a simple repair.

ken
I do have a humidifier (AprilAire) installed on the furnace. And none of my other guitars have had a problem.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:26 AM

Reading the thread I don't see this as humidity is the primary cause of your split. I also have a house that has an AprilAire whole house humidifier. I also live in the UP of MI and at the highest setting, 40-42% is about what I can achieve in the dead of winter. That's with a large fish tank and an 8 person hot tub in the house (although the hot tub when used for an hour or more can drive the levels up in the 50-60 range). I own an assortment of guitars including a few high end solid top archtops and acoustics and I've never experienced your problem. Since installing the new furnace and whole house humidifier, I don't use case humidifiers and I keep several out on stands. In this case, the first sign of low humidity actually shows up first on the solid bodies in the form of slightly protruding fret ends but those guiatrs have tung oiled finished necks and appear to be more susceptible. My house also has a two stage furnace and I have it set to run the fan at slow speed 24/7. This keeps the humidity level constant.

All that said, I'm inclined to see this as a seasoning or construction issue. Hope it works out for you. r/rob

Last edited by RobT; 02-15-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cubilindo View Post
Only takes one guy to incite a mob.
First you need a mob.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion