The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson L-00 vintage vs Nick Lucas vs SCGC H-13 ?

Hi,

I'm going to buy a small body guitar for fingerstyle. Now I've narrowed my choices to the listed three: a new 2017 L-00 vintage, used Nick Lucas from luthiers (i.e. Greven, Kevin Kopp, etc.) and scgc H-13.

Could anyone has experiments with those instruments above give me any suggestions on which on do you prefer? And why? (considering tones, collective values, etc.)

Further more, I also need suggestions on wood selection. I've noticed that H-13 and nick lucas models have different B/S choices (IRW, mahogany, and maple). Which one has clearer mid and tremble? Which one has more sustain? Which one is better for fingerstyle?

Thank you very much.

Best,
Cory
Old 06-22-2017, 10:02 PM

I'll suggest that you pay attention to the scale length, the Gibson will most likely be 24.9, the Santa H13 25.38 and the others onevway or another. I personally require the longer scale because I tune down and short scale instruments sound rubbery when you do that. Longer scales also have a tendency to ring out more because of the extra string tension so aren't always in the same tonal personality as your typical vintage Gibson L-00.

If that's the sound that drew you to the body style in the first place, look for 24.9" scale builds.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 PM

Greven's LOOv and Cruz's H13 are great, also check Kevin Kopp, stay away from Gibson!

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 06-22-2017, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Monster View Post
Greven's LOOv and Cruz's H13 are great, also check Kevin Kopp, stay away from Gibson!

Why not Gibson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I'll suggest that you pay attention to the scale length, the Gibson will most likely be 24.9, the Santa H13 25.38 and the others onevway or another. I personally require the longer scale because I tune down and short scale instruments sound rubbery when you do that. Longer scales also have a tendency to ring out more because of the extra string tension so aren't always in the same tonal personality as your typical vintage Gibson L-00.

If that's the sound that drew you to the body style in the first place, look for 24.9" scale builds.

I play DADGAD most of the time. Thank you for the advice.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 AM

[QUOTE=CoryKeW;5384055]Why not Gibson?]

If not a vintage Gibson I don't see the point, Cruz, Greven and Kopp are the real experts!

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Tone Monster;5384087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryKeW View Post
Why not Gibson?]

If not a vintage Gibson I don't see the point, Cruz, Greven and Kopp are the real experts!

I'd add Fairbanks to that list.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 AM

Another thing you might want to look at is the string spacing at the bridge.
I have a Santa Cruz 00, a mighty fine guitar but the spacing of the strings (not the nut but the bridge) is too narrow for me to comfortably play fingerpicking. The H-13 has the same spacing according the SC website.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 AM

I've owned the SC H-13, currently own the Kopp NL and have owned a Greven NL. All very good guitars but for me I prefer the Kopp. Gibsons can be very inconsistent so be aware of that. If neck profiles make a difference to you the Kopp NL is a full C shape, the SC H-13 is a low profile mod V. I prefer a full C neck. Tone wise I think Kopp will sound most like a vintage Gibson with Greven a close second. I you like a deep thumping bass, you can't beat a Kopp. I own 2 Kopps and a third will probably be in my future.

Martin 000-18GE, Rainsong CH-OM, Rainsong Vintage OM
Kopp NL, Kinscherff Concert,
Journey OF660
Old 06-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Sadly, modern Gibson 00s, like virtually everything Gibson makes outside of custom shop $$$$$ models, is too inconsistent to bother with. Vintage 00 Gibson (which I own) is generally better, and the best ones are my favorite guitars, but overall can still be very inconsistent and there are many "Warm" "bluesy" (= dull, compressed, unversatile) Gibsons around to make it unsafe to buy without playing carefully. Great advice on scale length. I personally love, love, love 24.75 (Gibson) but the rest of the guitar needs to be right to make it work or you just end up with a soft-spoken, retiring tone. Again, old Gibsons sometimes get this exactly right, but it's almost an exception rather than the rule. For the other makers, all make terrific instruments so it's knowing how you intend to use it, and then trying actual instruments (because some of these makers' pieces vary more than you might think) that will decide things for you. I think the expressive feel of 24.75 is just the bomb, but unless the guitar is built right, it won't speak, in which case the tauter 25-plus scale is more reliably outspoken, though it has a stiffer feel. Good luck! The guitars you are considering are generally wonderful, and finding the one that matches your ear and hands would be a great thing. My '36 00 Gibson feels and sounds like it was made for me.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
Sadly, modern Gibson 00s, like virtually everything Gibson makes outside of custom shop $$$$$ models, is too inconsistent to bother with. Vintage 00 Gibson (which I own) is generally better, and the best ones are my favorite guitars, but overall can still be very inconsistent and there are many "Warm" "bluesy" (= dull, compressed, unversatile) Gibsons around to make it unsafe to buy without playing carefully. Great advice on scale length. I personally love, love, love 24.75 (Gibson) but the rest of the guitar needs to be right to make it work or you just end up with a soft-spoken, retiring tone. Again, old Gibsons sometimes get this exactly right, but it's almost an exception rather than the rule. For the other makers, all make terrific instruments so it's knowing how you intend to use it, and then trying actual instruments (because some of these makers' pieces vary more than you might think) that will decide things for you. I think the expressive feel of 24.75 is just the bomb, but unless the guitar is built right, it won't speak, in which case the tauter 25-plus scale is more reliably outspoken, though it has a stiffer feel. Good luck! The guitars you are considering are generally wonderful, and finding the one that matches your ear and hands would be a great thing. My '36 00 Gibson feels and sounds like it was made for me.

Thank you very for sharing this with me. Are those 30's Gibson on reverb.com good options?

Old 06-25-2017, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
?..I've narrowed my choices to the listed three: a new 2017 L-00 vintage, used Nick Lucas from luthiers (i.e. Greven, Kevin Kopp, etc.) and scgc H-13.

Could anyone has experiments with those instruments above give me any suggestions on which on do you prefer? And why? (considering tones, collective values, etc.)

Further more, I also need suggestions on wood selection. I've noticed that H-13 and nick lucas models have different B/S choices (IRW, mahogany, and maple). Which one has clearer mid and tremble? Which one has more sustain? Which one is better for fingerstyle?

Thank you very much.

Best,
Cory
Cory,
I've had them all: Santa Cruz, Greven, Kopp, Flammang, current Gibsons, vintage Gibsons, vintage Kalamazoos, in deep body, X-braced, ladder braced, 12, 13, or 14 fret, in Maple, Mahogany, Rosewood, Mahogany topped and Spruce topped and from 24.75"-25.4" scale.

What is it that you are looking for? What do you play, what type neck and feel do you like? The range of $1500-5000 will get you a straightforward Gibson to a custom hand made Fairbanks, or an 85 year old original in beautiful condition. I'm a fan of all of them and hold no prejudice. If you gave me $5,000 (or whatever your budget is) to spend for you, I'd ask you the exact questions above.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:27 AM

To me, Santa Cruz offers the absolute best balance in Mahogany for that rich deep tone.1929- 000, you can't go wrong with one of theirs.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Cory,

I've had them all: Santa Cruz, Greven, Kopp, Flammang, current Gibsons, vintage Gibsons, vintage Kalamazoos, in deep body, X-braced, ladder braced, 12, 13, or 14 fret, in Maple, Mahogany, Rosewood, Mahogany topped and Spruce topped and from 24.75"-25.4" scale.

What is it that you are looking for? What do you play, what type neck and feel do you like? The range of $1500-5000 will get you a straightforward Gibson to a custom hand made Fairbanks, or an 85 year old original in beautiful condition. I'm a fan of all of them and hold no prejudice. If you gave me $5,000 (or whatever your budget is) to spend for you, I'd ask you the exact questions above.

I play Tommy Emmanuel kind of music and some Japanese finger-style. The sound I'm looking for is balanced, focus but not lack bass-end response.
Actually different neck shapes makes little difference to me except U and deep V, cause I use my thumb a lot. Also I prefer 1 3/4 nur width and longer scale. Because for the most of time I'd play open tuning songs.
I've found there's a maple Greven NL, a mahogany H-13 and some 30's Gibsons for sale at 4K-5k price range on Reverb now, which on do you recommend? Thank you.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I play Tommy Emmanuel kind of music and some Japanese finger-style. The sound I'm looking for is balanced, focus but not lack bass-end response.
Actually different neck shapes makes little difference to me except U and deep V, cause I use my thumb a lot. Also I prefer 1 3/4 nur width and longer scale. Because for the most of time I'd play open tuning songs.
I've found there's a maple Greven NL, a mahogany H-13 and some 30's Gibsons for sale at 4K-5k price range on Reverb now, which on do you recommend? Thank you.

Hmmm, if you just told me the above, I'd recommend a long scale 00. 00's are much more balanced than the L-00. The L-00 is known as a mid-range boosted, low reverb, fast attack, fast decay, yet full sustain and with a natural scale length of 24.75" so great for bends, slides and vibrato. This works for blues and ragtime really well. Now you can play any music on any guitar. I've had a Adi/Brazilian L-00 that was great for fingerstyle yet at 24.75, it was a poor choice for altered tunings especially DADGAD. You need long scale and a non Gibson design. If you like the midrange and yet want more sustain and reverb the SCGC H-13 is a good compromise. I have had a ADI/Mahogany and a Mahogany/Mahogany. They are standard with 1 3/4 x 2 3/16" so the saddle is a bit narrow for me, but if can handle that, you'd be right there. Someone mentioned the 1929 00. The 00 is short scale, but the 000 is long. Yet if you go that way, it's a very dark tone, unique, but not that versatile and if you go long scale 000 you are essentially playing a 12 fret OM sized guitar. The OM is the standard for fingerstyle and altered tunings. To go full circle, a balanced OM sounding guitar that can handle altered tunings in a smaller package is the long scale 00. I hope that helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion