The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It's a terrific find for a working musician who needs some battery powered sound. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Dave. All I did was find it and tell everyone here. I'm thanking Korg for doing this. I never knew much about them and I like them already.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:08 PM

And Dave big thanks to you for keeping us all informed about your experience with the Freeplay. You've covered some important ground for all the eventual buyers of this.

And to AeroUSA for informing us of the problem in the first place. I'll bet that right now, the Freeplay PSA thread is the most complete 'things you need to know' Freeplay users guide out there and that's all thanks to you both.

Last edited by dannyg1; 06-24-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:08 AM

The new Laney A-Fresco seems to be a good option. Enough power, nice features and runs for many hours.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
The new Laney A-Fresco seems to be a good option. Enough power, nice features and runs for many hours.
It's smart of them to set the battery options on a price tier and to make them external (I'd assume there's some sort of recess built into the amp to fit them in a sort of internal/external mix?).

What's it cost? Looks like at least $100 <s>

It sounds good in the video but vocals would tell us more.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:26 AM

Definitely, dannyg1.
I don't know how much $. In the UK, they are selling for around £200.
It's compact enough to easily transport it and weights just 15lbs, which is also great for portability. And yes, you can even sit on it if you forget your stool
Old 06-25-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Definitely, dannyg1.
I don't know how much $. In the UK, they are selling for around £200.
It's compact enough to easily transport it and weights just 15lbs, which is also great for portability. And yes, you can even sit on it if you forget your stool
That's why it's smart of them to separate out the battery options. They can quote the weight of the amp without the 5-12lb battery.

It does look to be pretty big, bigger than the Cube Street Ex, probably right where the Carvin S600b is sized. Looks a bit like a Carvin amp, doesn't it?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
That's why it's smart of them to separate out the battery options. They can quote the weight of the amp without the 5-12lb battery.
It uses 4 18650 Li-Ion batteries which weigh about 2 ounces each.

hunter
Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
It uses 4 18650 Li-Ion batteries which weigh about 2 ounces each.

hunter
Any idea what the Mah rating of the pack is?

This might make interesting reading for people who don't understand much about what '18650' actually means:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...echargeable.29

Just for comparisons sake, an alkaline D cell battery averages 15,[email protected], an alkaline AA 1.5v@2200mah.

An 18650 is typically around [email protected], according to this. There are 5,000mah and higher claimed versions available.

Packs are typically built to group cells in series, which boosts the voltage to where the amp can run but leaves the mah rating the same as a single cell. Conversely, building battery packs in parallel boosts the amp hour rating and leaves the voltage the same as a single cell.

Last edited by dannyg1; 06-25-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Sure, dannyg1, 3400mAh.

The amp is not that big. It's nice to sit on, though. Great materials, rugged construction. It measures more or less 35cm x 26cm x 24cm
Old 06-26-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Sure, dannyg1, 3400mAh.

The amp is not that big. It's nice to sit on, though. Great materials, rugged construction. It measures more or less 35cm x 26cm x 24cm
Do you own one? If yes, how do you like it? What's it compare most closely to?
How is it with vocals and whats the reverb like?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:54 PM

The reverb is not as great as the Fender Acoustic 100, but better than the Schertler Jam 100.
The vocals are not as good as the vocals on the Jam 100 and Acoustic 100, but not by much (those two amps are the ones I can compare it to right now, side by side).
Instruments sound really nice (acoustic guitar, classical guitar, even keyboards), specially acoustic guitar.
The guitar tone shape is a nice feature, the 4 pre-defined EQ's are an interesting addition, specially good when pole mounting the amp.
The power-up options are just great (DC adaptor, 12 DC power bank, 4 Li-Ion, 8 AA) and the battery autonomy is amazing (at least with the 4 Li-ion).
By the way, does anyone own the Jam 100? I run the 3 amps for more than 4 hours and the Schertler got really hot (back panel and top). Is this normal with the Jam 100? Until today I hadn't run it for that long.

Last edited by Pecx; 06-27-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The reverb is not as great as the Fender Acoustic 100, but better than the Schertler Jam 100.
The vocals are not as good as the vocals on the Jam 100 and Acoustic 100, which are the ones I can compare it to, side by side.
Instruments sound really nice (acoustic guitar, classical guitar, even keyboards), specially acoustic guitar.
The guitar tone shape is a nice feature, the 4 pre-defined EQ's are an interesting addition, specially good when pole mounting the amp.
The power-up options are just great (DC adaptor, 12 DC power bank, 4 Li-Ion, 8 AA) and the battery autonomy is amazing (at least with the 4 Li-ion).
By the way, does anyone own the Jam 100? I run the 3 amps for more than 4 hours and the Schertler got really hot (back panel and top). Is this normal with the Jam 100? Until today I hadn't run it for that long.
Thanks for your impressions. I own a Jam 100 and it doesn't run hot at all, even when I push it. I'll retest next week, I'm not near the amp at the moment, to confirm and if it helps. If you live near NYC, we could run the two side by side.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:48 PM

I wish I lived there
Please retest it if you can, dannyg1. Thank you so much!

One thing I forgot to mention. The eco power mode and the sleep mode are great features and they work very well. I just hope that all the new battery powered amps offer them, specially the sleep mode that runs in both normal power mode and eco power mode.

Last edited by Pecx; 06-26-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:08 PM

I'll play/sing through it at a bit better than unity for five hours or so and feel the back along the way, especially after the louder songs. Nextnweek towards the weekend probably. I'll post the result back to this thread.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 PM

There's no need to try it for many hours. I have been testing all 3 along this week and noticed that 2 hours are enough.
By the way, I could spend more time real testing the Laney (outside my house) and I'm really surprised and happy with it. I played with its mixer (many eq possibilities) and also tried using the amp with my play acoustic, and this thing works great with both options. Plenty of volume without clipping (btw, the Laney has a clipping indicator in the mixer) and sounds good (guitars and vocals)!
As for the batteries, the amp has been working for about 12hours and still has plenty of battery left... (I'll let you know how many hours they lasted)
Its small factor and weight (15lbs with batteries), is definitely a big plus.
Great amp for church services, for busking, for coffee shops or restaurants.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification