The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Default Loudbox Mini as DI?

I was curious how many of you use or prefer to use your acoustic amp as your DI? With electric guitar amps, running a line out is always a "only if you have to" situation as it just doesn't sound that great. However, when I'm playing in weddings and bars w/unknown sound situations it's almost easier to just have my Loudbox Mini than one of my preamp/DI units. The Mini has built in reverb and a simpler EQ and sometime these places don't have onstage monitors, so that's helpful. However, I don't really get to hear how the amp sounds when run through the house as some of the halls are big and I'm using the amp as my monitor. Any thoughts on this? Will it DI just as well as a my PZ Deluxe? Anyone prefer this approach?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 06-20-2017, 12:08 PM

It should be fine to use as a DI, it is designed for that. However, it's important to know if you make changes to the Loudbox will it make those changes out front? And if you make changes that make you sound good as a monitor will those changes sound good out front? When I use my amp as a personal monitor I like to have a DI in front of it to split the signal so that whatever changes I make on the amp will only affect my sound on stage.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I use a Loudbox Artist in this manner and find that it sounds great. I'm running the DI mix out into a tower composed of a Behringer 12" sub and Alto trouper for mids and highs. In this way i can tweak the EQ on the Alto if needed should the sound of the mains not be as good as I'd prefer. The sub has a built in crossover and an adjustable high pass filter so there's a fair amount of tweaking that can go on at that point in the signal chain if needed.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:10 AM

I've been doing so in some venues for a couple of years: Loudbox mini DI output into various powered speaker or PAs.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:31 AM

Here is how the volume will work: The master on the mini will only impact the volume on the amp on stage. It is the individual channel gain/volume knobs that impact what is going out of the xlr.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification