The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 PM

Default Electric guitar for an 8 year old

I teach guitar and I have an 8 year old boy starting lessons soon. His parents says he is insisting on an electric guitar. I am hoping someone here can recommend a decent 3/4 size electric with an amp. I always struggle when parents ask me to recommend a guitar because I don't like the quality of the beginner guitars...but don't want them to spend a lot of money if the child decides he hates it and wants to quit. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 PM

I would definitely look at the Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic. It is short scale. 24.0 I think.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 AM

Is he really small? Most 8 year olds can handle a full size guitar.

That duo sonic is a good idea.

I've yet to play a 3/4 size beginner's electric that wasn't crap.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Is he really small? Most 8 year olds can handle a full size guitar.

That duo sonic is a good idea.

I've yet to play a 3/4 size beginner's electric that wasn't crap.
I agree there is no need IMO for an small electric. they are so easy to fret and they grow into them.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Just found out that the kid is 6... almost 7, and he is a small little guy. I personally think he is a little too young for lessons but his mom says he wants to give it a try. And she really wants him to also. I offered to let him use my electric guitar for a couple of lessons to see how he likes it and if he can handle a full size. But she wants to get the 3/4 size for now, and if he sticks with taking lessons she will get him a full size guitar. So guess that's that! Thank you guys so much for the advice! I really appreciate it very much!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 PM

6 going on 7 is small.

Try to talk them out of an electric...they're heavy! Show them this thread...3/4 size acoustic...yamaha makes a nice one. An electric is gonna get bumped off chairs and walls everytime the kid picks it up...trust me, I teach some little ones.

If he sticks with it, in a year he can get a full size electric.

even consider a 15 minute lesson. You'd be surprised what you can cover in 15, and the kids attention span might not be much more than that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 PM

my 8 year old with his xmas present...

Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 AM

I think this kids mom really wants to get the smaller electric guitar. She says that's what he really wants. And she doesn't seem to mind buying the full size a little later on if he decides to stick with the lessons. No talking her out of it so guess it's been decided. I gave her my opinion and she gets to make the decision. So.... will see how it works out. Thanks for the advice mr. beaumont.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM

lewddude, LOVE the pics of your son and his guitar! The guitar seems to fit him perfectly! Handsome little guy! The child that's getting the smaller electric guitar is definitely not as big as your son.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Anticipation Junkie

You haven't stated a budget, but I'm suggesting that you may want to consider a used Composite Acoustics Cargo for the young fella. It's a travel size acoustic that looks sort of like an electric (Les Paul-ish), plays easy with great tone, tough as nails (being all carbon fiber), and has great resale value.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 PM

Ibanez makes a decent little guitar... I think its called the Mikro or something like that. It retails around 129 I think.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Thanks guys! I will refer back to all the advice here the next time this question comes up!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification