The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 AM

Default Dooling Guitars

anyone ever played a Doolin double cutaway before? really like the look of them what's would you compare them too?

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 05-13-2010, 01:12 PM

I got to play several of Mike's guitars at the 2008 GAL - didn't touch the harp guitar tho LOL

I didn't find the double cut helpful for my playing (I do thumb fret, but not that high on the neck). He has many other inovative features that it is hard to say what, if any affect, the cutaways have on sound. I will say that he does some of the nicest work you will see anywhere.

I also had the rare pleasure of hearing Mike play a bunch of his creations (the harp guitar, an 8 string combination bass and guitar) and his wife Nancy Conescu, who is a beautiful Celtic folk singer.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM

the double cutaway looks pretty badass! any idea where about in the UK he sells them or are most done to order? would love to try one!

love harp guitars too, Andy McKee will have a new one this month, will be a world first being a Michael Greenfield's first Harp guitar and also be fan fretted a good option for a harp guitar is to look for a Dyer copy Harp Guitar, won't set you back as much and there's more of them about

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley2209 View Post
the double cutaway looks pretty badass! any idea where about in the UK he sells them or are most done to order? would love to try one!

love harp guitars too, Andy McKee will have a new one this month, will be a world first being a Michael Greenfield's first Harp guitar and also be fan fretted a good option for a harp guitar is to look for a Dyer copy Harp Guitar, won't set you back as much and there's more of them about
As far as I know they are all custom orders, and please be sitting down when he quotes you the price. There were several harp guitars at the Conference and a great article recently in Fretboard Journal.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:37 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Mike Doolin is a well known custom luthier.

Here is a link to his web site;
http://www.doolinguitars.com/

and to his order page;
http://www.doolinguitars.com/ordering.html

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion