The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2002, 07:30 PM

Default Violin pickups

Does anyone play violin? What's a good pickup? What are some decent ones around $100-$150 range?

No Taylors yet...
Martin 000C-16GTE Premium
Old 12-08-2002, 11:48 PM

I don't think there are all too many choices out there.
my roommate has one by fishman that connects to the bridge. it's not bad. I think he paid around 80 or 90 bucks
Old 12-09-2002, 02:25 AM

LRBaggs makes a violin pickup too. I haven't heard it yet, but if it's nearly as good as the other pickups and pre-amps they make it will surely be a winner. I dunno how much it costs though...
Old 12-09-2002, 09:07 AM

Not sure if this will help, but I have a really old pickup for my violin. The violin was my greatgrandmother's and was given to me in the 11th grade since I was the only one in the family that played. With the violin was a pickup that sits on top of the soundboard. There is a metal attachment that connects to the tail piece that has an "arm" on it. The pickup goes under the "arm" which supplies pressure to keep the pickup on the violin. I've never seen another pickup for the violin like it. It's not the greatest thing in the world...however for its age, it was probably one of the best pickups you could get at the time.

Just some thought that might give you some insight. Probably not though...

2003 414CE-L3 "Welcome Home" (Mahogany/Cedar)
2002 Busted Baghdad Baby (Retired)
2000 Martin D16-GT

User ID #1745

Old 12-09-2002, 06:52 PM

Default Fishman

My youngest son (a freshman in HS) plays violin. Fishman makes a violin pickup that he uses for recording when doing chair tests. We have a little BOSS digital recorder and the pickup reproduces the sound pretty well. It looks like this: > and gets wedged in the leg of the bridge. If your bridge opening is too small, you will need to have a repairman widen it slightly for you. The pickup goes for ~$140. Hope this helps.
Art

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification