The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2002, 07:50 PM
.tom the übergeek

scegla,

I am not impressed with the specs. If you are looking to record, there are some great mics out there these days for short coin. I would pass. 16k is not very good. You will lose a lot of the cool nuances of a Taylor. Would be fine for a Martin....Did I say that out loud?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by trpullen
...Did I say that out loud?
Never heard a word ...and thanks for the input. Sounds as if 18K is a little shy. Looks like it's time to start saving $ again (and excuses for my wife).
Old 12-04-2002, 05:14 AM
AGF Bouncer

A very good standard for freq response is 20hz-20khz.

You can't hear much below or above that.

That's pretty much the industry standard as well.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:56 AM

You might be surprised to find that many highly respected and even "holy grail" mikes are significantly down above about 15K, and, fact is, the guitar doesn't produce much of anything above 12K. It really all depends on how the spec is written. If it's 3db down at 16K, that's pretty decent.

Any transducer (speaker or mike) will produce *something* from 20 Hz to 20KHz. The question is at what level, referenced to some median level it's doing it at.

When I was doing pro sound, back when, we used these mikes pretty often for stringed instrument pickup (everything from cellos to mandolins) when ruggedness and decent sound were both issues. It's not great, not horrible, had a boosted high end before a severe rolloff above 16K, and at the time, a dynamic that could approach the airiness of a condensor was a rare commodity indeed.

710CE
812 Custom
Baby
Old 12-08-2002, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback Tom (pun intended), and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to hear that someone has experience with this mike. I guess I'll keep it for miking that guitar as an a second source in conjunction with the Fishman. As I mentioned earlier, one reviewer gave it the nod over Shure's Beta 57 and the Sennheiser MD 416 when comparing mikes used on an acoustic guitars. I figure that it can't be worthless (even though I only laid down $20 for the pair.) I bought the second one simply for the the cartridge. If the one went south I don't think I'd have much luck finding a replacement. BTW I ran across some guy in England trying to sell one of these for $200 US. Either he knows something I don't (easy reach there) or he's scamming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification