The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2002, 04:46 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

If you have purchased a mandlolin it's to late. NOBODY can help you.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff M
If you have purchased a mandlolin it's to late. NOBODY can help you.
What if I give the mandolin to my wife and/or kids for Christmas. Then I can get another guitar without as much grief for having the mandolin plus all these guitars. What do you think?
Old 11-28-2002, 01:43 PM

I bought an el cheapo mando about 6 months ago and it has been in the closet for awhile and now I can't get it in tune. Are the strings G (bass), D, A, E (high) or E (bass), A, D, G (high)? I am confused. Help!!!! I want to play this thing!!!!!! Thanks

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 11-28-2002, 01:44 PM

I bought an el cheapo mando about 6 months ago and it has been in the closet for awhile and now I can't get it in tune. Are the strings G (bass), D, A, E (high) or E (bass), A, D, G (high)? I am confused. Help!!!! I want to play this thing!!!!!! Also, how do you tune it using notes on other strings (i.e on guitar, play the low E fretted at the fifth to tune the A string) Thanks

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt McGriff
I bought an el cheapo mando about 6 months ago and it has been in the closet for awhile and now I can't get it in tune. Are the strings G (bass), D, A, E (high) or E (bass), A, D, G (high)? I am confused. Help!!!! I want to play this thing!!!!!! Also, how do you tune it using notes on other strings (i.e on guitar, play the low E fretted at the fifth to tune the A string) Thanks
Mandolin: G D A E (same as violin)
On the G string, play the 7th fret to play D.
On the D string, play the 7th fret to play A
On the A string, play the 7th fret to play E.
Check by playing a few chords.

If you are haveing problems, be sure to check for proper birdge alignment. If your bridge is only slightly in front of or in back of its proper placement or tilted in any direction, you're going to have intonation and tuning problems. To test your bridge placement, first tune each open string with a tuner. Then, fret the 12th fret (or preferably, play the 12th fret harmonic) and re-check with an electronic tuner. The result? If the 12th fret is sharp your bridge is closer to the fretboard than it should be. If the 12th fret is flat your bridge is further away from the fretboard than it should be.

You can get a t-shirt to help you remember --http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/TEE75-GREY-XL.htm
Old 12-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Me

The mandolin came in and wow it looked good and it sounds good to me. It did have several problems. T
1) The neck was straight and would not bow.
2) The nut was way too high.
3) The frets edges were filled to much and the outside strings would hit on the beveled edge.
4) The nut put the string outside strings too close to the edge.
5) The tail piece was placed crooked, making it hard to tune.

What did I expect for $100?
I took it took my guitar repair guy and he did a wonderfull job fixing it. I was a little embarrased taking it too him, but for another $300 he fixed it all. Just kidding, it only cost me $75. He resahped the frets and nut, straightened the tail piece, and now we'll wait and see if the string tension pulls the neck some. I'm happy. I got a nice F mandolin now with out spending too much. I bought a nice hard shell case for it. The repair guy kept saying nice things about the case, but not the mandoilin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification