The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2002, 08:58 AM

Default volume boost/volume pedal question

which of these would be better for a prefix plus PU?

VOX:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/59823

ERNIE BALL:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/35167

my signal chain is:

taylor 314ce 2001 LTD w/prefix plus---->snarling dog whino wah (most of the time this is in full bypass mode)----->ART studio MP preamp------->marshall as50R channel 1------>DI out to PA.

i need a boost for leads and using a channel switch pedal is not working well (pops when i switch it from channel 1 to 2 on my marshall as50r)...I thought of an EQ pedal but I don't want a tone change, just a slight volume boost..

I'm open to suggestions for a differnt approach well...as to my signal chain and volume boost approach...

thanks...
Old 12-02-2002, 06:06 PM

Thumbs up

Ernie Ball volume pedal seems to be popular with the 'net guitarists.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:27 PM
.tom the übergeek

There are both High and Low impedance versions of the EB pedal. Go to their website and read. You will want to match the pedal to the output of your guitar.

Also, have you considered a compresser for leads? You could set it for more gain and hit the amp a little harder too. Just a thought.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:33 PM

Ernie Ball -- good stuff!!

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 12-03-2002, 07:33 AM

Quote:
There are both High and Low impedance versions of the EB pedal. Go to their website and read. You will want to match the pedal to the output of your guitar.

Also, have you considered a compresser for leads? You could set it for more gain and hit the amp a little harder too. Just a thought.
I hope i don't sound too stupid (yeah right!)..

how do i know the impedance of my current output?

I didn't think of a compressor..i have a 1/2rack DBX i used to use with my bass rig...hmmmmmmmmmm.....thanks
Old 12-03-2002, 10:35 AM
.tom the übergeek

Volume Pedal
The potentiometer has a 250k ohm resistance suitable for the audio path of active or passive instruments. Behind the jack area under the footplate is a taper switch, which provides the user two distinct volume swell rates. A tuner output is provided and allows silent tuning when the pedal is in the heel down position.
Product Number: 6166

Stereo 25k Pedal
The potentiometer has a 25k ohm resistance suitable for the audio path of active instruments or buffered effect returns. Use the A input / A output for the left channel and the B input / B output for the right channel. For use as a mono volume pedal, use the A input and A output. For use with stereo cable installations using TRS type stereo plugs use the B input and B output.
Product Number: 6167
Old 12-03-2002, 01:28 PM

thanks...i'm still not 100% clear on which one will work for me..seems both work with active inputs...:

signal path:
taylor 314ce 2001 LTD w/prefix plus---->snarling dog whino wah (most of the time this is in full bypass mode)----->ART studio MP preamp------->marshall as50R channel 1------>DI out to PA.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:46 PM
.tom the übergeek

I am not sure which would be better either. I would ask Taylor or Ernie Ball which they would suggest.

The 500k ohm model is for passive instruments only. Most passive instruments are 7.5k to 13K (Strat to LP range) but the output of the Prefix Plus is down around 3.5k ohms.

I am not sure where the output impedance on a keyboard is but the 25k pedal is recommended for keys etc.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:16 AM

what kind of db boost or volume increase do you guys use or suggest using for solos...?

thanks...
Old 12-09-2002, 09:59 AM

found a cool solution to this problem.....thought i'd try it for kicks and it works great...

i'm using an old bass EQ pedal for a boost....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification