The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2001, 10:17 PM

Question pin-less v/s pin bridge

Hey Taylor guys, I have a pin-less bridge on my older 412 model. I've had no problems with it. Anybody have any opinions on the merits of pins v/s non-pin bridges; or, any problems they've encountered with pin-less? Why'd Taylor stop this bridge design? Thanks
Old 05-12-2001, 07:50 AM

It's easier to mass produce bridges when they are all of the same design. Likewise, it makes installing them the same, streamlining the production process.

Some people say that since the strings are not going through the soundboard on the pinless bridges, not as many vibrations are being transmitted. It would be interesting to do a study on it. Breedlove does pinless and they seem to be doing just fine. The ones that we have seem to sound just fine. And it makes it much easier to replace the strings!
Old 05-13-2001, 12:58 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Tombone, Thanks for your response. I agree it is easier to change strings with the pinless bridge; and, I can't tell the difference in tonal quality between pin & non-pin... For what it's worth, I think my ol' 412 pinless sounds great. Regards
Old 05-14-2001, 01:17 PM
I know that one

Hey TR -

I have a 410CE with the pinless bridge and I was so bothered by the fact that Taylor changed I emailed customer service to find out why they had changed. They have had no problems with pinless bridges but simply wanted the consistency of detail throughout the entire Taylor line like Trombone said. They said with proper attention to temperature and humidity I should never experience problems with the pinless bridge. I sure like mine.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:35 PM

I have a 410 with a pinless bridge.The tonal qualities are outstanding and it is also a snap when putting a new set of strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification