The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Default 1975 Martin D-35 String Gauge

Recently had my old Martin repaired at the factory. They put in a new bone nut, replaced the bridge and saddle, placing the bridge back a hair for intonation. (Many Martins from that time had incorrectly placed bridges.) They repaired the cross braces
which were very loose causing the top to pull up behind the bridge and loosen the
bridge. Somehow they managed to flatten out the bulge that was below the bridge.

The verbal understanding was that they would set it up for light gauge since it was an old guitar--their recommendation and my longtime practice as well. When I got it back it was set up with MSP 7200. (I had seen that listed on the pre-receipt but assumed they were light gauge.)

So, first of all the guitar sounds great, I'm sure the strings have alot to do with it--great sustain and sound. Wouldn't mind leaving it that way, and maybe keep the guitar tuned down a half step when i'm not using it to prevent the same problems from recurring. (Bridge had pulled up on me at least three times over the years.) Some guitar sites advise doing that, others say messing with the tension will change the neck. Of course I will do my best to keep the instrument humidified in winter and somehow find a way to dehumidify in summer. (near NYC.) I can find out from the factory if the nut was set up in between gauges so perhaps I could use the light gauge strings w/o a big problem.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Default d 35

I have an 84 d35 ..I have always used light gauge strings ... Doesnt seem to hurt the sound at all.... I play it in a bluegrass band. accepts hard picking without any buzzes.... should work ok for you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair