The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default UAD Roland RE-201 Space Echo

If any of you are looking for an excellent delay for guitar to use in your workstation, you might consider the UAD Roland RE-201 Space Echo plug-in. You'd need to invest in a UAD card, but you'd be freeing up processor cycles by doing that and there are multiple effects available once you have the card. At work, we've got the UAD cards and we've recently added the Space Echo plug. It's a really nice sounding and fairly easy to use three-tap echo. Now, the Roland wasn't nearly as easy to use as the Echoplex, but it did offer the multi-tap echo. Basically, you've got up to about 1/2 second of echo on the longest tap. The unit offers three qualities of tape (new, used, old) with emulations of their sonic characteristics and has a button that allows you to inject the sound of a splice into the echoes. The unit's regeneration control can also be set so that the echo repeats ramp up instead of down and a cascading, oscillating effect occurs. There's a spring reverb in there as well. Basically, it handles just like the old Space Echo did. They've added pan controls to make it more useful in the plug format.

What the heck, its even got vintage, aged tolex.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Good call on the Space Echo, Bob.

I have a couple of UAD cards in a Mac G5 running ProTools LE. I've used the Space Echo on a couple of songs for electric guitar solos and like the effect a lot. I have about a dozen or so UAD effects and use them almost exclusively.

DreamVerb and the compressor/limiters are good also.

Rodger
Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Yup, I love the 1176LN for bass and the Cambridge is a nice channel strip.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber