The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Default You don't need to pay a fortune to have a great guitar

No great novel insights here, but just had to share.....

So, my two nice steel strings are a Martin 000-15 and a Goodall that cost something like 3 or 4 times as much.

I've been experimenting with doing some recording, with these guitars, and with my classical, and posting links to some of my recordings on Facebook for my tiny collection of Facebook friends to hear. The initial recordings were with my classical guitar and Goodall. The classical guitar recording got a comment or two. I don't think anyone in my Facebook world has commented on my recordings of the Goodall (though it got some really nice comments here).

But I did a quick little recording of my Martin 000-15 the other night and now multiple people on Facebook have shared my link, and have remarked with great enthusiasm on how very much they like it.

Granted, part of this is that I'm getting my recording technique down better. And what I played was appealing, I guess (but I think some of the other stuff was maybe more appealing).

But I think a big part of it is also that the Martin just sounds so very nice, and records particularly well. It does not have the volume of my Goodall, or some of the Goodall's other qualities (and I've had some fabulous feedback when I've played the Goodall live), but the Martin has just a fabulous very satisfying sound (not just recorded, but in person as well). I'm repeating myself here, but there is just something so very solid and satisfying about the Martin 000-15's sound - really satisfying, sort of like a really really good home-cooked meal. The Goodall is elegant cuisine, while the Martin is pot roast, roasted vegetables, and mashed potatoes and gravy. Fancy restaurants can be fun, but sometimes I really want pot roast.

I know that there are also folks that really like some of the old Harmony guitars, in part because they record really nicely.

Again. Nothing new here really, but something to think about.

EDIT: What I wrote above, focusing on the reaction to my recent recording, really is sort of silly, and not a good reflection of the thought I meant to get across. Even in person, when I play these two guitars in my little basement music room, I'm finding myself so impressed by this Martin, and though it is different in some ways from the Goodall that I adore, this much less expensive guitar (not a cheap guitar, but certainly not in the high end guitar price range) also makes my jaw drop!

Last edited by wcap; 12-10-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 PM

I will just say that it shouldn't be a surprise that the relatively dry sound of an all mahogany guitar would be a lot easier to record well at home, and would sound better through computer speakers, than a more complex sounding guitar, which I assume your Goodall is. I honestly believe the Martins are a great choice for that application.

I agree, you don't have to spend a fortune to get a nice sounding guitar. But the quality of the files, and the equipment through which people listen to music off Facebook just doesn't support any conclusion in this case. Maybe the songs are just better?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:14 PM

It is really interesting that you post this because I just finished doing a one one comparison with my Martin M-38 and My Collings D2 Brazilian. They are different guitars to play and to listen to live but I just laid down a few tracks, the differences begin to disappear. I think part of it is that when I record, I always wear headphones and I adjust my playing technique to find that sound that I find appealing. My conclusion is that changing my playing technique has more of an effect than the differences in the guitars. They are in some respects similar guitars yet very different. I do not think if I recorded a Gibson in the mix that it would sound like the Martin and Collings so there is only so much latitude that you can get out of a guitar but the latitude is there if you want to save some $$$.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I will just say that it shouldn't be a surprise that the relatively dry sound of an all mahogany guitar would be a lot easier to record well at home, and would sound better through computer speakers, than a more complex sounding guitar, which I assume your Goodall is. I honestly believe the Martins are a great choice for that application.

I agree, you don't have to spend a fortune to get a nice sounding guitar. But the quality of the files, and the equipment through which people listen to music off Facebook just doesn't support any conclusion in this case. Maybe the songs are just better?
Yes, I realize part of this is that is is mahogany - maybe a very large part of it. And yes, my post is really sort of silly in terms of supposed evidence and conclusions.

The reaction to my most recent recording is so dramatically different though, and personally I am really enjoying the sound of this guitar so much lately. I think it is just worth noting though that a guitar of much lower price can compete so well, both live, and especially recorded in this case, with a guitar of the caliber of a Goodall. Yes, different beasts in some ways, but both are wonderful to play.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 AM

Personally I am a big fan of inexpensive guitars. There is nothing more impressive than somebody playing amazingly well on a beat-up, Chinese made six-string, and there's nothing more pathetic than somebody strumming three chords on a high-end Santa Cruz. I have seen many a guitar reviews where somebody is really torturing a beautiful guitar. I go by a simple formula,- your guitar should match your playing skills. Do not disgrace a good instrument. It's like using the marble that Michelangelo used to sculpt David to make a toilet.

I digress however. I just received my Taylor GS5, it was one of those "dream guitars" I was anticipating so much. And bam! I am not impressed. My $260 Breedlove holds up to it pretty well. I am glad I got the GS5 for half the price, otherwise it just would not be worth it.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 AM

i dont think my playing "lives up" to my guitar, but you know what? i work my @$$ off, save my money, and abstain from other non essentials in order to afford a good instrument. if most people my age are too **** lazy to work, and "blame the economy" for them being too lazy to be hired while playing fender acoustics that smell like pot, then thats their problem
Colt "1991" 1911
GSG 1911-22
Custom AR-15
Old 12-10-2011, 03:38 AM

As a sidenote, there is nothing that offers perspective like hearing your own guitar played by someone else..

Example: I've got a cheap alvarez classical I bought a few years back that I debate on selling because I play it maybe 10 minutes a month. And then somebody comes over and I'm like "You want a classical guitar?" and they play it, I always think "That sounds good! No way I should sell it.." Then they leave and it goes back in the case and the cycle repeats..

I suppose the converse is true as well for nicer guitars: A friend of mine has a Martin HD-28 that never sounds as good when I'm playing, even if I play the exact same thing he does...

Oh life, why must you be so fickle..
Old 12-10-2011, 03:53 AM

Today there is an amazing assortment of guitars, something for just about anyone.
My Martin is the most expensive guitar I have bought to date, at this time my needs are covered. What the future brings remains to be seen, as is I do believe more than 80 percent of the magic comes from well trained hands and technique. Basically player makes it sound magnificent and effortless.

Everyone is welcome to play whatever they like, that is their business. We have all been there in the past, basic chords and struggling. Just part of the experience. Wouldn't want it any other way

Enjoy that Martin wcap, play in good health.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsman View Post
Today there is an amazing assortment of guitars, something for just about anyone.
My Martin is the most expensive guitar I have bought to date, at this time my needs are covered. What the future brings remains to be seen, as is I do believe more than 80 percent of the magic comes from well trained hands and technique. Basically player makes it sound magnificent and effortless.

Everyone is welcome to play whatever they like, that is their business. We have all been there in the past, basic chords and struggling. Just part of the experience. Wouldn't want it any other way

Enjoy that Martin wcap, play in good health.
Well said!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:17 AM

You must certainly dont need to pay a fortune for a good guitar.

Last night I played my cheap but great Cort 100 at a gig. This would have been one of the best 3 gigs weve done at this venue, out of 30 this year. Th tone was great, the audience lovelly it, I enjoyed it thoroughly and the Cort held its own against the Gibsons I normally play there.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 AM

You most certainly dont need to pay a fortune for a good guitar.

Last night I played my cheap but great Cort 100 at a gig. This would have been one of the best 3 gigs weve done at this venue, out of 30 this year. Th tone was great, the audience lovelly it, I enjoyed it thoroughly and the Cort held its own against the Gibsons I normally play there.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 12-10-2011, 06:47 AM

I think this depends upon a person's opinion as to what constitutes a "great guitar". Some of us may label a Chinese-made Eastman as "great", whereas others might feel that nothing less than a guitar, hand-built to our specifications, is "great". Frankly, I think that the vast majority of what we have available to us these days would have passed for "great" back when I first started playing. lol
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsman View Post

Yeah, When I was playing on the amateur tennis circuit, we all believed that McEnroe could beat anybody wth a racquet from Walmart.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 AM

While I own Gibson guitars, my beater guitar Yairi, that I've had for 15 years, still out shines many, many expensive guitars. I paid $300 for it. It has cracks on top and a loose brace underneath and still sounds great.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 AM

I don't consider a $1000 guitar cheap

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion