The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi abn556
I don't know about you, but I cannot hear ¹⁄₁₀₀ of a half step versus ¹⁄₂₀₀₀.

nobody can.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-29-2024, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
The new Snark ST-8 rechargeable titanium has an extremely bright display. I doubt it would get lost in the sunlight, and the charge is clearly visible on the display. But I agree with the earlier comment that LCDs are cheaper and more visible, but you hardly see those much anymore except for my old Korgs that are not clip ons.
Hi boneuphtoner
ALL OVER AMAZON - dozens of choices.

Type "LCD clip on tuner" in the search bar…and sort out the few LED ones it also lists. But there are tons…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 04-29-2024 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
nobody can.
Hi rmp - that's my point.

The sensitivity of the TC Electronics is such that I can tune an acoustic guitar sting in the middle of the band in the middle of a song on an aggressive stage.

I cannot do that with a Snark…it will sense the bass or move when the bass drum foot pedal or tom interferes and change or freeze.

The Unitune are pretty solid anytime, any stage for me. And I'm thankful for the extra accuracy, but mostly appreciate the quick response time without the erratic behavior of my Peterson headstock (and workbench) tuners. The algorithm in the Unitunes is about perfect. Quick read, and gentle changes when tuned with a soft hand. The Snarks are not as erratic as the Peterson tuners (I own all these), but it's speed is too slow sometimes and it's ability to be distracted during songs caused me to replace for all but outdoor gigs.

I'm a string bender (frequent and persistent) so strings need touchup right after lead solos so I'm still in tune by the end of the song (I play combo backing and lead).

Also if players flip them upside down and let them sit under the head stock so the player can see it, but not the audience…it doesn't look like a microwave tower sticking up out of the headstock.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 04-29-2024 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I know I brought this up before but now that it’s getting warm out playing gigs outside;it’s difficult to see these clip on tuners. Even the pedal tuners are hard to see. I’ve tried some of these suggestions here but none work for me. Has technology changed much since I bought my last one? I have 4 different tuners and when the Sun is out, I can’t see any of them! Any ideas?

Move to Wales. The chances of having a sunny day at an outdoor gig are minimal.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
How come they need fresh batteries. My tuners are D'Addarios. I like how they clip on and how I can see what they do...even with a relatively new battery. Are they battery hogs.
The fresher the battery the brighter and more clear the display.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Peterson=in tune
Old 04-29-2024, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
How come they need fresh batteries. My tuners are D'Addarios. I like how they clip on and how I can see what they do...even with a relatively new battery. Are they battery hogs.
Hi rounder…
All battery dependent devices suggest we should have a fresh 'replacement' battery or two in the case, and recognize signs the one in a device is wearing out (lack of ability to lock onto notes or displaying wrong note for instance).

Don't know which D'Addario tuner you mean…

Make a full line of at least ½ dozen designs. How long the tuner lasts depends on the level of design in the tuner, and how fast their auto-off feature works, and how much you use it (and how fast the batteries deplete sitting in the case).

Have never used a recharging clip on tuner so I cannot speak to how long their batteries last.

Fortunately almost all clip on tuners with batteries use the stock CR2032 batteries. I buy a dozen Energizer ones from Amazon and put 3 of them in each case…and they last me (among 5 tuners) for a few years.

I'm not ready to commit to a rechargeable clip on tuner.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 04-29-2024, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

I us a TC Electronics. Pretty accurate and easy to see IMO
Old 04-29-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Peterson=in tune
Yep.

And another thing.

The Peterson phone ap is the best phone tuner ever.

It's not free, but it's the best.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-29-2024, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Yep.

And another thing.

The Peterson phone ap is the best phone tuner ever.

It's not free, but it's the best.

I have the old Peterson Strobosoft app on my phone, but i can’t find my dongle it came with
Old 04-29-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
...The Peterson phone ap is the best phone tuner ever. It's not free, but it's the best.
But........... they aren't clip on.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Guitar View Post
I have the old Peterson Strobosoft app on my phone, but i can’t find my dongle it came with
Plus, even if i find the adapter, I'll need another adapter to go from 1/8" to Lightening for my iPhone 13
Old 04-29-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Peterson=in tune

I agree. I like their tuners a lot. 2nd place runner up to the TC Electronic clip on. I like that one too.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-29-2024, 09:02 AM

Another fan of Unitune.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi rounder…
All battery dependent devices suggest we should have a fresh 'replacement' battery or two in the case, and recognize signs the one in a device is wearing out (lack of ability to lock onto notes or displaying wrong note for instance).

Don't know which D'Addario tuner you mean…

Make a full line of at least ½ dozen designs. How long the tuner lasts depends on the level of design in the tuner, and how fast their auto-off feature works, and how much you use it (and how fast the batteries deplete sitting in the case).

Have never used a recharging clip on tuner so I cannot speak to how long their batteries last.

Fortunately almost all clip on tuners with batteries use the stock CR2032 batteries. I buy a dozen Energizer ones from Amazon and put 3 of them in each case…and they last me (among 5 tuners) for a few years.

I'm not ready to commit to a rechargeable clip on tuner.

Thanks. I use the Eclipse tuners. I know that a fresh battery will make the display brighter, but is seems that the display gets dimmer sooner than it should. I like the tuner other than that. D'Addario now makes a rechargeable version so maybe I will try one of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion