The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 View Post
Thank you all for your replies...this is exactly the type of information I am looking for. During the interim I have been doing my research and I see an 0-25...are they more revered than the s25? Are they also more or less than the s25?
If you are buying without trying, the F model would be your best bet.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
LAplayer gave a perfect description. As the owner of a 1995 S25 (bought it new), I can say it is a guitar that can do anything. It is not a small guitar, and it does by no means sound small, as much as a good 000 Martin style guitar does not sound congested at all. It has that Lowden sound in spades (I also own an 025).
So if it is an S25 Custom with the spruce top is the $4k asking price still too much? It is in excellent condition and is the one I am playing in my initial message.

What is a fair price?
Old 04-28-2024, 08:06 AM

Make an offer, see what happens - it looks new.

I didn’t want to confuse the issue but I feel I should mention that Lowden make a nylon string ‘crossover’ S25 Jazz.....S25J.

BluesKing777.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

If I recall correctly, rosewood/spruce Lowdens are called -32 style, so I am not sure why this is called S25, honestly. I cannot comment on US market prices for used Lowdens. I would say that something like 2.8-3.3k USD would be fair.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
It is actually an S25Custom with supposedly the top being spruce on this one is the custom appointment.
While Cedar is the standard top for 25 guitars, Spruce isn't a wood upcharge.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
The Lowden guitar shapes/sizes are unique/original to Lowden (now used similarly by McIlroy) and are neither 00 or 000 nor Martinesque in any way. The S is the small Lowden and the lower bout is between the 00 and 000. The upper bouts are rounder than Martin 0s but less in width. While the shape is different, the S has an upper bout more like a 000 12-fret than 14 fret. The F is about an inch wider in the lower bout, than a 000 and just smaller in the upper. There is no comparison in shape or sound between 00/000s and Lowdens.
To me, four thousand is too high for a 90s S25 which is a standard wood pairing and not a custom or unusual guitar.
The O is the original Lowden size but - they sell far more F size guitars than anything. To me that makes the F the quintessential Lowden size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
If you are buying without trying, the F model would be your best bet.
I agree 100% with everything Steve (LAPlayer) and Malcolm said. Sitka is not an upcharge wood from cedar in Lowdenland. I sold my 2001 O-25 (cedar/EIR) for £1,800 (~$2,250) in 2019 - above that figure I didn’t even get a sniff. Allowing for inflation, I would expect to get ~£2,400 (~$3,000) for it now.

As always, the standard disclaimer applies - IMHO. However, I realise that YMMV, and I’m cool with that.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-28-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
So if it is an S25 Custom with the spruce top is the $4k asking price still too much? It is in excellent condition and is the one I am playing in my initial message.

What is a fair price?
This is a world wide forum, prices will vary. If that video is you playing the actual guitar and you like it, then all you have to do is check out the prices locally and make an offer. Our opinions really don't count for much.

I live in Ireland and have owned and played many Lowdens over the years, they are all fine guitars.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
This is a world wide forum, prices will vary. If that video is you playing the actual guitar and you like it, then all you have to do is check out the prices locally and make an offer. Our opinions really don't count for much.

I live in Ireland and have owned and played many Lowdens over the years, they are all fine guitars.
First it's me playing the guitar. Second, I know to check local prices and understand the economics of guitars ... I happen to own over 14 guitars. If it was as easy as checking local prices and determining if this was in line e with them then I would do that. There were NO comparable locally and even Reverb did not have much on sold S25customs ... hence, is why I asked here. And yes I know it's an international forum and prices differ from Needham Massachusetts where I live and Ireland.

Lastly, I know enough from my Economic studies that price is always determined by the value of the consumer who acquires it.... one man might purchase an item for an amount that another would walk away from.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:09 AM

Quote:
First it's me playing the guitar. Second, I know to check local prices and understand the economics of guitars ... I happen to own over 14 guitars. If it was as easy as checking local prices and determining if this was in line e with them then I would do that. There were NO comparable locally and even Reverb did not have much on sold S25customs ... hence, is why I asked here. And yes I know it's an international forum and prices differ from Needham Massachusetts where I live and Ireland.

Lastly, I know enough from my Economic studies that price is always determined by the value of the consumer who acquires it.... one man might purchase an item for an amount that another would walk away from.
Fine, I was just trying to be helpful.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

There’s no helping some people…

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 04-29-2024 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:23 AM

You can play more lowdens at the music emporium in Lexington.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies...this is exactly the type of information I am looking for. During the interim I have been doing my research and I see an 0-25...are they more revered than the s25? Are they also more or less than the s25?

Bigger, louder and sounds different but not more revered. It's quite a bit larger so I've always preferred the F size. They are the same prices. In this case, size doesn't matter.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:17 PM

Any other Lowden owners here that can put their build quality into words?

I have 'masterful' but it is not enough really... (I can stare at my O22 and not find the joins top and back I know must be there!)

Here is a Peach Guitars Lowden visit where build is discussed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCn4rvUICzo

BluesKing777.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
Bigger, louder and sounds different but not more revered. It's quite a bit larger so I've always preferred the F size. They are the same prices. In this case, size doesn't matter.
Yup, the music emporium has a bunch, including an O25 that is amazing.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Yup, the music emporium has a bunch, including an O25 that is amazing.
I ended up buying an 025...it's a huge guitar but I play big archtops like a Guild X-500 and a D'angelico. I got it used and based on the serial number 16339 it's from 1989-2003. Question how do I figure put the exact year?

Anyway, I haven't had it set up yet...I think it has D'addario 13s but the strings are old and it definitely needs to be tweaked but it still sounds awesome and should complement by other smaller Martin's.

Here are 2 raw videos of the sound:

Finger picking

https://youtu.be/iROLJjhD4SU

Pic/Jazz

https://youtu.be/l-2AE6liqKw

Thank you all for your help and input...now to learn how to play this beast.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion