The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-16-2018, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

It appears to me the shows are all about entertainment standing on the back of marketing. It doesn't have anything to do with art or self expression.

Entertainment has left me cold as it screams "look at me" like allot of what social media is about. And then when you do there is no emotional payoff.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-16-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Kelly Clarkson is the only one of these "show winner" people that I can recall that has made any lasting career out of one of these wins
Carrie Underwood seems to have done OK for herself after winning Idol. But true, most winners disappear into obscurity.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I would echo the above that it's a show our whole family can enjoy together. Not overly wild about the new judges...well maybe just the guy Luke who seems sort of dull and indecisive...but the talent this year is pretty impressive.

Yeah, it's a total put on, the talent they tend to find is hardly transcendent, and a lot of it is staged, but as a competition it's enjoyable. The kids really like it.

I'm glad it's back.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 03-16-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I don't watch, but I read this morning that Katy Perry engaged in sexual harassment of one of the candidates. She kissed one without permission or warning, in fact, and it wasn't a desired advance.

Bob
Saw that, too. Apparently he hadn't kissed a girl, and so Katy Perry gave him a kiss. Thankfully his friends all agreed that it wasn't a real kiss, so it didn't count. He's waiting for that special girl to experience his first kiss, and didn't hold it against Perry. I know I would have been thrilled to get my first kiss from a famous female pop star, but like many things in life YFKMV.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-16-2018, 04:52 PM

I read about the Katy Perry incident, and count me among the guys who would have been delighted as a younger me to get my first kiss from a beautiful, older woman like Katy Perry...

But I have to wonder, if a male judge had behaved exactly the same with a 20 year old female contestant who'd said she was saving her first kiss for true love, if the media wouldn't have unleashed a crap storm that may have ended his career?

Just wondering...
Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I read about the Katy Perry incident, and count me among the guys who would have been delighted as a younger me to get my first kiss from a beautiful, older woman like Katy Perry...

But I have to wonder, if a male judge had behaved exactly the same with a 20 year old female contestant who'd said she was saving her first kiss for true love, if the media wouldn't have unleashed a crap storm that may have ended his career?

Just wondering...
Bingo! Why isn’t the media screaming about this? Wait, that’s not how things work today is it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic