The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Default When you play "Wish You Were Here"...

Maybe the first real song I learned when I started five years ago.
But I have just recently learned the first solo.
So, do you add the rhythm guitar picking when you play this song on a single acoustic with no looping?
I ask because it just sounds like something is missing without the 5 note run in-between three parts of the solo.
Non-playing friends do not understand looping or even the multiple guitars effect when playing the song for them.
Curious is all.
Hope this makes some sense.
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

This will be very little help to you, but I just play the classic opening riff and the chords, and throw the riff in again between verses. For the soloing, I play an improvised harp solo on a G-harp that is sometimes Gilmourish, and sometimes Dylanish. I've gotten many compliments on my "arrangement", with listeners saying they like the "folkiness" of it.

Don't be afraid to put your own signature on songs. People almost always enjoy and appreciate it.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 03-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Don't be afraid to put your own signature on songs. People almost always enjoy and appreciate it.
Yes and of course.
But for this song, I just wonder how those folks without a looper play this and include the solo while trying to stay somewhat like the recording.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Yes and of course.
But for this song, I just wonder how those folks without a looper play this and include the solo while trying to stay somewhat like the recording.
Well the intro solo is all close to the open position so it's not too hard to fudge a chord or a root with a note melody on top. For the solo in the middle, I fudge it as well, but it helps that I have the open E and A string. But I never emulate the recording exactly anyway so I take artistic "liberty" with some parts.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:21 AM

Best way to do it IMO is to shorten the intro. I’d do maybe 3 bars of the intro riff, and then throw some licks of the solo. This song is very lyric-driven so people won’t care much of you “butcher” the solos.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:24 AM

I do the strumming with the bass riffs first time through the whole progression, then the lead solo second time through -- which is just like the recording, I believe. If unaccompanied, I add a bass note every now and then between licks during the lead to make it sound more full.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Slim II View Post
which is just like the recording, I believe. If unaccompanied, I add a bass note every now and then between licks during the lead to make it sound more full.
hmm... so hard to explain here
maybe you are the closest.
The solo is basically four parts and on the recording a second guitar adds the bass note runs between three of the parts.
on youtube covers it seems that folks either skip this solo entirely or use a looper to fill the voids.
My question is how do you play this with only a single guitar?
Old 03-14-2018, 08:45 PM

I play the iconic bass notes in between the solo sections. I do the first solo more or less like on the record and the second and third solos based on the acoustic version here: (I slide rather than bend, as I can't nail those bends on an acoustic) Of course, I am just noodling around at home. My timing on working it all together is not very good, but there is nobody listening but me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j8mr-gcgoI

Last edited by rwmct; 03-14-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I play the iconic bass notes in between the solo sections. I do the first solo more or less like on the record and the second and third solos based on the acoustic version here: (I slide rather than bend, as I can't nail those bends on an acoustic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j8mr-gcgoI
Thanks.
So you are basically playing both lead and rhythm guitars parts together?
That is what I am working on blending together.
It is hard to find a cover on youtube where anyone does that.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:17 PM

I've yet to see an example of it done well. This is a great song to jam with another guitar player or do with a looper (it's the first thing I did with a looper). I'd say that playing something behind a simplified version of the signature riff would take a serious re-imagining of the arrangement. I'd never say that it's impossible to do it well, but I haven't been able to pull it off.

I'd reserve trying to pull of the recorded version for those times when you have help (with a biological or electronic pulse).

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 03-20-2018, 11:51 AM

Default When you play "Wish You Were Here"...

This was one of the first songs I learned and so all I do is, pardon my lack of knowledge of wording, hit the main part of the intro (the individually picked bass notes) in between the solo parts. You can do that walk before each section of the first solo. So basically “dun, dunna da din” then solo part rinse and repeat until done and move into the chorus or whatever.

Sorry if that makes no sense.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.S View Post
This was one of the first songs I learned and so all I do is, pardon my lack of knowledge of wording, hit the main part of the intro (the individually picked bass notes) in between the solo parts. You can do that walk before each section of the first solo. So basically “dun, dunna da din” then solo part rinse and repeat until done and move into the chorus or whatever.

Sorry if that makes no sense.
Perfect sense.
Harder than it would seem to blend in to sound like the recording.

Thanks for all replies.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Perfect sense.

Harder than it would seem to blend in to sound like the recording.

Thanks for all replies.

Took me a while to get fluid but now I can’t play the solo without the bass bits.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write