The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2003, 10:57 AM

Default DM Alchemy's(Gold Phosphor, Gold Bronze)

I have experimented with 2 sets of each type of the DM Alchemy strings on my 02 810 LTD.

Gold Phosphor:
Not as bright as Nanos but with a little more punch than polys. The bass out of these strings(meds) was great. Pretty decent for strumming. Not alot of ring when played fingerstyle. I still prefer the sound of the Nano's for strumming on this guitar

Gold Bronze:
Very bright. More that nano's. Very "jangley" when new. Not so good for strumming especially if you really get on the strings and play hard. HOWEVER... These strings sound awesome fingerstyle. The projection sounded great and they have very good dynamic properties. Very even response even when played incredibly softly(like when my wife is sleeping). If you play with your fingers you might want to try these.

Just my thoughts. Have a great holiday weekend

Ed
Old 05-23-2003, 11:01 AM

Thanks, Ed..... good review. You make me want to try the DM Alchemy Gold Bronze for my clumsy attempts at fingerpicking.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:10 AM

Let me add that I just did DM Formula 82/R on my 814. Very nice ring, especially in the lower notes. Held up quite well and were very balanced till the end. I like the 'piano' like tone from drop tunings much better then anything else so far.

$.02
Old 05-23-2003, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Plexiprs
DM Formula 82/R on my 814.
Which one's are those.. Gold Bronze, or something different again?
Old 05-23-2003, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Offwigo
Which one's are those.. Gold Bronze, or something different again?
You know they actually never say on the package or website. Formula 82/R. JustStrings says they are 80/20. What's really different is that they are full round-core with full contact between winding and center core. I took them off and can't find the remains to see if they are 80/20, etc.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:22 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds like I may want to try these on my 814.. Do you fingerpick or use a flat pick? Thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 12:24 PM

Both, works well with both. String weight is like Elixir with a slightly heavier G-string. They really worked well in alternate tunings, including one I drop down to - B F# C# D A D. Oh, the ES really seems balanced with them, too.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:38 PM

Ed:

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to post that. My experience with the Gold Phosphor was basically the same as yours.

I was very impressed with the amount of bass they added, but overall I do like Nano's better. To me, they convey that classic Taylor sound a bit more.

I would like to give those Gold Bronze ones a try. They might be just what I'm looking for to "liven up" my K-22.

thanks,
Bill
Old 05-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I liked the sound and feel of the Alchemy GoldPhos when I tried them on my 814c. This was after experimenting with a number of different strings, including the Elixir Nanos that came on the guitar (which I didn't like). The weak point with the Alchemys for me was that I wanted more bass that they didn't have, IMO. I'm now using Elixir Poly light/mediums -- these are the strings for me over the long haul -- I really like them. I finally found 'my sound' with these Polys.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:01 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Tayloresque
I liked the sound and feel of the Alchemy GoldPhos when I tried them on my 814c. This was after experimenting with a number of different strings, including the Elixir Nanos that came on the guitar (which I didn't like). The weak point with the Alchemys for me was that I wanted more bass that they didn't have, IMO. I'm now using Elixir Poly light/mediums -- these are the strings for me over the long haul -- I really like them. I finally found 'my sound' with these Polys.
I have been wondering about the Poly light/mediums on my 814 (I like Poly)
now that you have said that, I am gona try those next. They just sound like what I would like. Thanks
Old 05-24-2003, 08:16 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Offwigo
I have been wondering about the Poly light/mediums on my 814 (I like Poly) now that you have said that, I am gona try those next. They just sound like what I would like. Thanks
Hey Off. When you try the Poly light/meds, most likely your action will raise due to the extra tension on the low strings. You may not notice it right away so keep an eye on it. That's what happened on mine and you'll have to make a truss rod adjustment (or more than one). The extra bass the Poly light/meds gives the 814 was the perfect final touch I'd been looking for in a string to satisfy my ear. Good luck, and I'm interested to know how you like them. Please send me an e-mail once you experience them a bit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion