The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 01:03 AM

Default Hope I'm not highjacking this thread...

Hi, Heard great reviews/threads on these. 2 questions.

1) The E10D is very interest. How does this compare to a Martin D18GE or a Collings D1? Should I go Eastman now or hold out a year or 2 for the other D18GE or D1?

2) I've read a couple threads about it, but anybody know when the E10P (parlor...) is coming out? price? tone???
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks for all the great input. I'm convinced and will buy sight unseen. I'll post some pics and thoughts once it's delivered.
Frankestein Tele
63 Hofner
Kala Uke
Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 AM

Im sure you will be more than satisfied dadg. Keep us posted.

Les, les, les, you've come full circle and am back to the E10 huh? I have a friend that used to own a GE and has both E series now, I forgot what his exact comparison was of the two but I'll ask next time I catch him online. As far as the E10P goes, its already out. You can get one here http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9263
Old 03-12-2011, 02:02 PM

I know shortymack.... I'm torn....................... GAS has the best of me.....
Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Default Just Got One

Used off ebay. After reading the hype and playing one at a festival last month, I was thinking of ordering a new one. One popped up on ebay with a good buy it now price.

I'm super pleased and impressed. Sounds deep for an OM and the highs are crisp. The mids come out when you play harder. Really crazy good tone. Very lightly built, so much so, that I'm a little reluctant to try mediums on it, but I'll do that soon. Slim, C style neck all the way up. Also, the neck consists of three pieces (heel, neck, and head) - that doesn't bother me, but its one way this guitar differs from a high end version of a pre-war style OM (e.g. Collings, H&D, Martin, etc). Tuners seem okay, but not top shelf. Weird plastic end peg.
Nice, "bear clawed", wide grain adi top. Detail work is good. Finish seems very thin. The case is some kind of plastic/vinyl version of a traditional hard shell, but pretty good. I have a slight problem with the setup - the nut string spacing is just a hair too wide for the neck and I sometimes push the low E off the side of a fret. Might have to have the nut redone.

I've owned a Huss & Dalton OM and I've played Collings', Martins and Goodalls. It doesn't feel or play quite as well as those, but for one third the price, it comes surprisingly close. And the tone is arguably as good! (depending on what you like, of course). I'd describe it as most similar to a Collings OM2A in style and sound. Pre-war style and vibe with a more modern, crisp, full range tone than a Martin.

I can nick-pick, but overall, an amazing value.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgad4 View Post
Thanks for all the great input. I'm convinced and will buy sight unseen. I'll post some pics and thoughts once it's delivered.

I did just what you're doing! I'm totally satisfied with my Eastman AJ617! It was money well spent!

Don
Old 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM

I have to say that I am now stuck as to what to do. I've been visiting two music stores for the past week, both of which have a great collections: Martin, Collings, Bourgeois, Larrivee, Eastman. I know, mentioning Eastman in the company of those other brands may seem a bit daring, and that is my quandry. I went out to find something 000 ish, and naturally gravitated toward Martin has that is my bench mark. I liked the Collings and Bourgois, but not enough to want to pay the difference over a Martin Standard 000-28. I then checked out the Eastman 0M20 and I was floored and the incredible tone and playability that this thing has. The price just about knocked me off my seat. It's 1/2 the price of a Martin 000-28, and it has a Adirondack spruce top, with herring bone binding and scalloped bracing, putting it in the $3000+ range for a similar Martin. And it's totally hand made, and not with CNC machining. It's really old school. The only thing that is preventing me from being all over this is prejudice against Chinese made products, which in this case, I believe is completely illogical. It is absolutely the best sounding of all of the guitars that I have played, including the 000-28EC or the Marquis. I need guidance.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 PM

Thumbs up

Purdy,
You won't be disappointed with a purchase of the E20 om - I had the same experience and thoughts. I bought my E20 om about a year ago and have never regretted it. I also have a collings om2h sunburst, which is an amazing guitar, but honestly i enjoy the eastman as much, even though I paid 4x's for the collings.

I had the same stigma about buying a guitar made in china, but you are right, its illogical. The guitar has amazing craftsmanship, beautiful tone qualities, and is a dream to play. Needless to say, I got over it. I hope my next guitar is an E20 ss sunburst.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Hi Purdy,
i think you've answered your own question. I believe buy what you like most as long as you can afford it - and sometimes even if you can't.
As you have played these guitars, get what you enjoy playing most. I ended up with E10OM and am blown away each time I pick it up - every strum gives me so much enjoyment.
Good luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 AM

I love mine - it seems other folks too - if you haven't seen this review, check it out
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=248008
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 AM

I've played a number of the E20OMs at guitar stores and have A/Bed Eastman guitars against most of the other top brand guitars. They are not just a good buy, they are really excellent guitars.. period... I'm not saying you can't find a better guitar, but unless you completely factor out money, you will not.. IMHO. No I don't work for Eastman or have any vested interest in saying good things about them. I just love playing them.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgad4 View Post
Thanks for the great input. No Eastman dealers in the Chicago area and I'll end up buying without ever playing. They get great reviews but you never know if you will like it yourself. I do like Taylor guitars but I've owned everything from Martin LJ's to Lowdens to CA's - right now just looking for a different tone than what I have and sounds like this might be it.
If you want to play one, visit Madison Music - good selection, great guys. If ordering online, Ted from LA Guitar sales is exceptional.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 AM

I highly recommend the E20OM - I walked into Schoenberg's last summer not intending to buy anything, but the sound of this guitar was so compelling I walked out with it (after paying of course...). I compared it to other Eastmans, including the archback jumbo and some other OM shapes, plus a few other Blueridge guitars they had in the shop. The sustain and overtones of such a young guitar were amazing. I also have an AC312, which is mahogany, and enjoy them both, as their sound is of course very different. The E20OM is the king, though, as I just love the way it feels and plays. The finish is thin and I've had a couple of spots flake early on, but nothing since. A great fingerpicking guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion