The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 07:03 AM

Default Help Me Find an SJ-200

I recently spent several hours comparing all sorts of guitars and walked away preferring the Gibson SJ-200, so now I'm looking for the right one.

Once you've generally decided on a model, what is the best strategy for finding a really great example that won't leave you questioning whether a better one is out there?

I live in Washington DC and played three SJ-200 Standard models at Chuck Levins. They didn't have any Vintage models in stock.

The first was an older (2015?) model with deadened strings and an older preamp that Gibson no longer uses. Maybe it was just the strings, but it didn't sound great, and I didn't want to invest in an already-outdated preamp.

The second and third models were brand new, out of the box, never-played guitars -- one natural and one sunburst. Both looked and sounded very nice, to my ear. The only downside was that the action was high and both seemed to need a setup (I thought all models came from the factory meticulously Plek'd).

I could just settle on one of the 2 new guitars at Chuck Levins because they both sounded great to me, but because I haven't played and compared dozens of SJ-200s, I don't know for sure whether those models are good-but-not-great. Also, I wasn't able to find a Vintage model to compare against the Standard models. We're probably talking about diminishing returns at this point, but if I'm making the investment, I'd like to get the best one possible.

What would be your next steps in finding a good SJ-200? I would prefer it to be new, and I definitely want to play it before being committed (good return policy for any long-distance purchases).

Last edited by markesquire; 08-21-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 AM

Get on Gibson website and look up 5 star dealers. Find closest ones and call them and see what they have. Go play them.

Find nearest airport and fly to Colorado and go to Wildwood, maybe call them first.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Re: SJ-200

Markesquire,

Congrats on your choice of an SJ-200! It's truly an iconic guitar and when you get the bug, well....

I would say you are very fortunate having a dealer with two in stock to compare, as it's not a common model to have around. I would certainly ask them to put new strings on both guitars to try again, as you are a serious buyer.

I'd also check with the Forum Sponsors to see if anyone has one or knows who does. There is also Sweetwater and Guitar Center, both with liberal return policies.

I found my Standard SJ-200 six years ago, right after it came into my local Guitar Center. Always wanted one and there is really nothing like one with the aesthetics.

Best of luck in your search!
Old 08-21-2017, 08:34 AM

The Gibson we have owned the longest is a 1960 J-200. Prior to this one the only Gibson I had owned was a 1930s L-00. While I am one of those who found they simply prefer the voice of a J-45/50/SJ and would have sold off the J-200 long ago (as it is now worth considerably more than what I snagged it for) I ran into one formidable roadblock. My wife. She loves that guitar and too date has turned down a flood of trade offers of some very high end guitars for it. She will never let go of that instrument.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:49 AM

[OP Comment] Chuck Levins is the only Gibson 5-star dealer anywhere nearby. If I want to look beyond that, it is likely cheaper to pay shipping for remote dealers to send guitars to me, than it would be for me to travel. But I'd hate to spend $100+ on shipping just to try out a guitar that might not be great!

Also, oddly, several Gibson 5-star dealers don't have their Gibson guitars listed on their websites (Chuck Levins included).
Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 AM

Sweetwater has several. The natural, sunburst, vintage sunburst, and Bob Dylan players model. Multiple guitars of each model.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markesquire View Post
I live in Washington DC and played three SJ-200 Standard models at Chuck Levins. They didn't have any Vintage models in stock.
I could just settle on one of the 2 new guitars at Chuck Levins because they both sounded great to me, but because I haven't played and compared dozens of SJ-200s, I don't know for sure whether those models are good-but-not-great. Also, I wasn't able to find a Vintage model to compare against the Standard models. We're probably talking about diminishing returns at this point, but if I'm making the investment, I'd like to get the best one possible.

What would be your next steps in finding a good SJ-200? I would prefer it to be new, and I definitely want to play it before being committed (good return policy for any long-distance purchases).
I feel your pain. I was looking for a SJ-200 myself. I played a used Studio model recently and it was incredible, but GC wanted too much money for it. So I've been looking. I found a private party in Milwaukee that was selling his "True Vintage" model asking $2500. I drove up there to play it and it was in fantastic condition. It might have been the strings, but it just didn't sound right to my ear. He had it strung with Gibson strings. The moment I picked it up I noticed the low E was completely dead. He had a new set so we replaced the E string. But the sound just didn't cut it. The True Vintage model doesn't come with electronics either. Perhaps if he had different strings on it it would have made enough difference for me to buy it. The nature of this instrument sounds darker in general than the other SJ I played. Too bad because it's crazy good looking. Maybe a string change would make that difference?

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 AM

My goodness.

That certainly is a jumbo.

Greg Rappleye
Old 08-21-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
[OP Comment] Chuck Levins is the only Gibson 5-star dealer anywhere nearby. If I want to look beyond that, it is likely cheaper to pay shipping for remote dealers to send guitars to me, than it would be for me to travel. But I'd hate to spend $100+ on shipping just to try out a guitar that might not be great!

Also, oddly, several Gibson 5-star dealers don't have their Gibson guitars listed on their websites (Chuck Levins included).

Gibson has some crazy advertising rules. They won't let stores put their inventory online but they will let the online dealers put theirs online or something crazy like that.

The problem with having someone ship you a guitar to try is you are only trying one, and with nothing in the room to compare it to. Have you called Wildwood Guitars in Colorado or looked at their website?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:36 PM

Chuck had 3 in stock. It's close. You liked two of them. What are we waiting for?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soao View Post
Chuck had 3 in stock. It's close. You liked two of them. What are we waiting for?
That's precisely the question I'm asking: what do you do to land the best guitar when (1) you know which model you want, (2) you've played some examples of that model that are nice, but (3) you know that they vary in quality/tone, and there may be other/better models?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
The only downside was that the action was high and both seemed to need a setup (I thought all models came from the factory meticulously Plek'd).
Plek'd schmek'd. Marketing crap that only serves to speed production. I never expect a guitar on the wall at any retailer to be setup to my liking. Factory setups are generic at best. If the neck is set properly pretty much all else can be adjusted for whatever action you prefer. If you don't know already you should learn how to critically inspect a guitar's build to reveal what is possible after purchase.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

I checked yesterday and Wildwood Guitars had 32 J200s in stock. If you really want to be sure, you know what you have to do.

Road trip

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 PM

I once thought I wanted a SJ200 but after playing many of them, I learned that (1) it is not the guitar for me, and (2) relatively few of them turn out to be very good guitars. There are posts all over this forum about disappointing SJ200s. Of course good ones, such as they are, exist, but they are a minority. This means that ordering one cold, online, is as likely to result in you receiving a mediocre guitar as a good one. Since people are hesitant to return guitars, preferring to kid themselves about what they got, I would never, ever purchase a SJ200 this way! (Collings yes, Gibson no!) I hope you find the good guitar you want. That it takes the form of a SJ200 makes your search a serious challenge. I mostly see country posers and Pete Townsend (Pinball Wizard intro) on SJ200s. Sure, a few great players use one now and then, but that adds up to hardly anyone. Beware poor value-for-money on this one, too. Good luck in your search. There are good ones out there, and maybe good deals, but there a load of dreck, too.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc-a-Roo View Post
you should learn how to critically inspect a guitar's build to reveal what is possible after purchase.
Is there a guide on AGF for this? What exactly are you talking about? I'm no luthier; I just do my best to tell whether the neck is straight, whether the neck joint looks tightly/rightly set, whether the binding and frets and everything else looks like it was installed with precision, etc.

Always happy to learn more!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion