The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-14-2017, 12:10 PM

The jc120 imho is one of the best amps ever made, especially for jazz. So for a dorm room and in that price range... +1 on the Cube with the jc120 model.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The jc120 imho is one of the best amps ever made, especially for jazz. So for a dorm room and in that price range... +1 on the Cube with the jc120 model.
I played one extensively in the late 80's. The effects are pretty awful. Core tone? Fabulous!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:48 PM

Last year I was in a tiny jazz club in Austin, and heard one of the best jazz sounds/set-ups I've ever heard.
And I was shocked when I watched a really young guy, w/ a vintage fender deluxe reverb playing a Les Paul. No pick, no effects. I talked him up between sets, complimented him, he said it was all tone and volume controls on guitar, and a light touch. I think it's all about practice and hearing the jazz sound you like.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Last year I was in a tiny jazz club in Austin, and heard one of the best jazz sounds/set-ups I've ever heard.
And I was shocked when I watched a really young guy, w/ a vintage fender deluxe reverb playing a Les Paul. No pick, no effects. I talked him up between sets, complimented him, he said it was all tone and volume controls on guitar, and a light touch. I think it's all about practice and hearing the jazz sound you like.
The George Benson signature Fender amps are based on the hotrod and twin series.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
And I was shocked when I watched a really young guy, w/a vintage Fender Deluxe Reverb playing a Les Paul. No pick, no effects. I talked him up between sets, complimented him, he said it was all tone and volume controls on guitar, and a light touch. I think it's all about practice and hearing the jazz sound you like.
Similar story here: best mainstream jazz tone I ever heard was back in the mid-70's, two-pickup Gibson Johnny Smith through a silverface Deluxe Reverb with a JBL and a little 'verb dialed in to give it some "air" - amp probably weighed almost as much as a Twin, but delivered that sweet, rich "tone you can eat with a spoon" that represents the Holy Grail of electric jazz guitar in spades...
Old 08-14-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Similar story here: best mainstream jazz tone I ever heard was back in the mid-70's, two-pickup Gibson Johnny Smith through a silverface Deluxe Reverb with a JBL and a little 'verb dialed in to give it some "air" - amp probably weighed almost as much as a Twin, but delivered that sweet, rich "tone you can eat with a spoon" that represents the Holy Grail of electric jazz guitar in spades...
Nice....!!

I have a Limited Edition '65 DRRI with a Cannabis Rex. I bet the Silver Face with JBL sounded very sweet!

But in the end.... My son would prob be fine with a SS amp. Tubes can be problem sometimes. Plus they are costly to maintain.

Good thread! Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:59 PM

Pick the kid up a Roland JC 40 for $600 either 36 or 48 months interest free right now from the big music retailers. I think it come in at about 34 lbs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars