The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM

Default Any good guitar shops in Las Vegas

I'll be there next week with some time to kill. My main interests are new and vintage Martins, Santa Cruz, and Bourgeois. Thanks, in advance.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM

Default well I am sure there must be

I know we have from Vegas HeartBreakers guitars on the forum.
http://www.heartbreakerguitars.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM

Hey NMF, if you do find any, please let me know. Selection and variety in the valley here is pretty slim. We have two Guitar Centers on different sides of town with the usual stuff they carry. There is Cowtown Guitars which has moved downtown, but I have not been there since their relocation. Check their website, but I don't think they keep it up very well. Probably outdated. Oh and Sam Ash, of course. Heartbreaker Guitars I've never been to, and they're by "appointment only" so I've never been. I have no idea what kind of stock or presence they have. Maybe I'll check it out one day. I've never had to make an appointment to go to a retailer before....

Honestly, if you find anything good, please let me know. Boutique guitars are a rarity in this town. You mostly have to go to Los Angeles.

2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue
1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
1995 Washburn EA20 "Festival Series"

Last edited by Tom in Vegas; 02-01-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Isn't every pawn shop like a guitar store out there? I would have fun cruising those.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherguy View Post
Isn't every pawn shop like a guitar store out there? I would have fun cruising those.
I thought that would be the case as well. Although I'm not very diligent in my cruising of pawn shops, every visit so far has been a disappointment. Maybe it's time to hit the pawn shops again.....

1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 AM

my brother lives in Las Vegas and complains all the time to me about the lack of guitar shops. i wonder if some guitar builders shy away from trying to sell instruments in Las Vegas due to the extreme dryness. i would think that the music stores would keep their showrooms humidified, but once the guitar leaves the building? who knows? this may be one of the reasons why there are slim pickin's there.

just a guess.

bill

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Bill, I will agree that it's a definite CHALLENGE to keep acoustic guitars here. I use my house as a HUGE, humidified guitar case with two whole-house humidifiers running full time. They struggle to keep it at 40-45%. In the winter (now) the heat sucks what little moisture there is out of the air, and in the summer the a/c does the same. It's a constant battle. Maybe some of the smaller shops humidify, but I doubt if Sam Ash or Guitar Center bother. They probably just try to move the inventory quickly enough that it becomes someone else's problem.

1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Vegas View Post
Bill, I will agree that it's a definite CHALLENGE to keep acoustic guitars here. I use my house as a HUGE, humidified guitar case with two whole-house humidifiers running full time. They struggle to keep it at 40-45%. In the winter (now) the heat sucks what little moisture there is out of the air, and in the summer the a/c does the same. It's a constant battle. Maybe some of the smaller shops humidify, but I doubt if Sam Ash or Guitar Center bother. They probably just try to move the inventory quickly enough that it becomes someone else's problem.
right, and it becoming "someone else's problem" is probably what scares the heck out of manufacturers. they don't want to see 50% of their guitars sold in LV coming back for warranty work!

bill

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

I just asked this a few weeks back. The answer is no. Your one shot is off the strip Guitare Center. Dont go to Sam Ash. Aint nowhere else. Sigh.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

Default Heartbreaker Las Vegas

Hi guys, we have a beautiful selection of boutique instruments here at Heartbreaker Guitars. The way we work is this: We are not a typical retailer and don't have an actual store. We have a gorgeous office on west lake mead inside the Bank of Nevada building over looking the city. 70% of our business is on line. But for anyone local, they generally call or email us to let us know what they want to see, we show those guitars and generally 5 or 6 more just for fun. We generally kick back, play some guitar, and BS with the customer. We are low pressure and just love talkin guitars. Our customer satisfaction rate is stellar and most of our customers keep in contact with us. Call if you wanna see anything and we'd love to meet you! Cheers...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

Wink

Oh, in addition to what's on the site, we are also bringing on the following guitar companies: Lowden Guitars, Cordoba, and Danelectro... These are all new from NAMM. Thanks, hope u like the site!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM

I know of at least one that's not good.
Dan
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
I know of at least one that's not good.
Dan
Not fair, Dan! Not fair! Spill. People want to know....

Oh and Brendan, thanks for the info and the descriptive of how your business runs. I may have to check in with you one day. Thank You!!

There are a couple of smaller guitar/music shops here in the Valley that I considered checking out, but when you go online all you hear are HORROR stories of yuckey treatment and bad customer service, so..... I've never been.

1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8

Last edited by Tom in Vegas; 02-01-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Vegas View Post
Hey NMF, if you do find any, please let me know. Selection and variety in the valley here is pretty slim. We have two Guitar Centers on different sides of town with the usual stuff they carry. There is Cowtown Guitars which has moved downtown, but I have not been there since their relocation. Check their website, but I don't think they keep it up very well. Probably outdated. Oh and Sam Ash, of course. Heartbreaker Guitars I've never been to, and they're by "appointment only" so I've never been. I have no idea what kind of stock or presence they have. Maybe I'll check it out one day. I've never had to make an appointment to go to a retailer before....

Honestly, if you find anything good, please let me know. Boutique guitars are a rarity in this town. You mostly have to go to Los Angeles.
I did see that there is not a Bourgeois or SC dealer in town (or even the state). I did not think that was a good sign... Appreciate all the posts.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:46 PM

I visited the GC down on the south end of town when I was down there xmas of 2011. The acoustic room was better stocked than most GC's I've seen and well humidified. Found a Franklin strap for a ridiculously good price there. Other than there or Heartbreaker Guitars, don't know where else to shop.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion