The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

deletepost

Last edited by michaelw; 04-06-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 AM

Im with all the 'travel' people. I am known to put my mini on the back of my Harley and hit the road. Weather to a local jam or a weekend run. The case it comes with is tuff enough to stand up the rigors of motorcycle riding. And it sounds, tunes and plays way beter than any of the cheapo's I used to cart arround. I love my mini and am am way happy with it for what it is and what it does.
414 Walnut LD
GS Mini
Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 PM

I can't believe nobody had mentioned this but you are right it's not worth 440 British Pounds! That's a lot of money for this guitar. It is worth what is sells for in the US which is about 180 pounds. BIG difference
Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 PM

Default Taylor GS Mini

This thread is just one of many(pun) i have read on the GS Mini....it would seem you can get a dud from Taylor.....? I was lucky! I guess..... and I got a really good one. Sound & tone very(loud) good. In tune up and down the neck which is straight as an arrow. Fit & finish spot on! Now, there are some quirks that i have not seen on other acoustics i have owned. The strings you put on this guitar is really important cause if you use light gauge strings this Mini will SUCK! I use Martin Med-light Gauge Blue-grass M240 Bronze wound and it sounds really good. The Medium gauge set which came on the guitar sounded good for two days....now, i bought the mini this Dec 2011 from Musicians Friend....The guitar was built Feb 23rd 2010 and sat in a warehouse for close to two years....one year 10 months to be exact! The strings had no life after two days. When The GS Mini came on the market they sold 5K the first week of release(2009)! I think Taylor built a boat-load of these guitars in Mexico. It is a crap shoot buying online so I did good and if i didn't like the mini i could just send it back. The one i got is a keeper tho..... street price in the USA $499.00
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I can't believe nobody had mentioned this but you are right it's not worth 440 British Pounds! That's a lot of money for this guitar. It is worth what is sells for in the US which is about 180 pounds. BIG difference
It's posts like this one which question the wisdom of price discussions on forums. 180pounds = 280dollars. Are you mixing up the GS mini with the Baby Taylor?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyi5 View Post
It's posts like this one which question the wisdom of price discussions on forums. 180pounds = 280dollars. Are you mixing up the GS mini with the Baby Taylor?
Of the ones I've tried, it would be easy to understand. I haven't found much of a difference between the two (feel and sound, that is).

Ed
Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 AM

Default rosette, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
Of the ones I've tried, it would be easy to understand. I haven't found much of a difference between the two (feel and sound, that is).

Ed
Really? I own one and i find this hard to believe!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:32 AM

We had a mini for probably 5-6 months. As a travel guitar it is quite nice. My wife used it that way and really liked it for that. Once it came home it never left the bag and ended up getting moved on to someone that did use it for travel.

They are nice little guitars for what they are. They are not even close to anything in Taylor's main line. There were a lot of folks on this forum that talked about how it sounded better than their x14 or their GSx which is something I will never understand.

If you accept it for what it is, it is nice. If you want it to replace your 814, 314 or even 110 you will be very disappointed.

-Dave
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26ce, 2006 Blueridge BR-361, 2011 GSMini, 1980 Ovation something or othe, Taylor 714cer
Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyi5 View Post
No I'm not mixing up the two my currency conversion is just a little off. I should have put around 260 pounds. Still a far cry from 440 pounds, which wasy point. I bought mine from musicians friend during a 2010 x mass sale for $399. I love it. It's a fantastic guitar. At the same time i am away with my family and have been playing one if my two baby Taylor's for the past 6 days and have nothing bad to say about it. It's a great little guitar
Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 AM

I want to jump on the "travel" bandwagon, here. I have a Baby Taylor that I used for travel to the weekend home and RV trips. It worked ok, but didn't have the sound that a GS Mini has. So, my husband bought me a GS Mini for my RV travel and to take with me to dulcimer festivals (which includes all folk instruments). It has alot better sound than the Baby, feels great in my hands, and is just fun to play. Is it equal to a full-sized Taylor, no way. Should it compare to a full-sized Taylor at $499 (or less), no way. Will it appeal to everyone out there, no way. Is it the only guitar to consider in its class out there, no way. But, I do think that it has filled a nice little corner of the market very well. It really works well for my purposes and I am proud to be a GS Mini owner. Every instrument out there can be bashed for one thing or another, and we are all entitled to our opinions. But, that doesn't make it a bad fit for all of us. My GS Mini will continue to be my RV traveler and still get it's fair share of playing time, when I want to sit home and just mess around with a guitar. It definitely works for me! BTW, even my Baby has its unique purpose now.....a guitar for sitting in front of the computer, writing music on my music software.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey66 View Post
Based on the ones I have a/b tested at stores. I've never found one I wanted to play for more than a few minutes, much less take home. I'm glad you found a good fit.

Ed
Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey66 View Post
Yes, +1 here. I had the BT1 (still do actually, looking to sell it), and although I found it much better than the Martin Backpacker I had been using before, it still lacked quite a bit for me. When I played the mini, there was no question in my mind that it was a substantial upgrade, both in sound and feel.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
No I'm not mixing up the two my currency conversion is just a little off. I should have put around 260 pounds. Still a far cry from 440 pounds, which wasy point. I bought mine from musicians friend during a 2010 x mass sale for $399. I love it. It's a fantastic guitar. At the same time i am away with my family and have been playing one if my two baby Taylor's for the past 6 days and have nothing bad to say about it. It's a great little guitar
It's still not a reasonable comparison, the UK price given of 440 pounds is over inflated (unless it's got the ESgo) - all main online dealers have them at 416 pounds, inc shipping. Plus the $399 you got yours for is hugely discounted, these kind of sale prices were unheard of until just recently - and generally they're still advertised at $499 over there. In any event, prices on all Taylors are inflated in the UK by about this ratio, probably because of import charges. Does this make a Taylor (any model) worth 20% more than the street price over there? It depends if you want one!

I have the GS mini and the Baby Taylor, and although I've A/B'd in stores, the true test is when you have them at home side by side for a while. I very much like the Baby actually, but the GSm is soooo much more guitar.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:20 AM

Perhaps the one you tried was not in good shape? I have one and I love it. I also have a full size 410 Taylor Dred. It does not compare with the 410, however for a little guitar i am very satisfied....It comes with medium strings, but i put Alchemy Phosfer Bronze light strings. (even though its not recommended). What it gives me is a small guitar that feels like an electric in my hands, the string tension is so light that it makes it so easy for me to play bar chords. Plus the Alchemey's gives it a mellower sound...this set up is a perfect guitar to play. (FOR ME)
Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBYork View Post

Anyone else been disappointed with it or is it just me?
My 1 sentence review of the GS Mini. Much nicer than the Baby Taylor; not nearly as nice as a Larrivee Parlor.

Edit to add, it's a solid topped plywood guitar made in Mexico, I don't know why people expect it to sound miraculous.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 01-01-2012 at 02:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion