The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 05:56 PM

I got to Best Buy blowing them out before I noticed that this thread dates to the early days of the GS Mini. lol

Taylor fixed the structural problems years ago. I'll need to be more attentive to outdated commentary.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:14 PM

Which one did you play, the spruce top model?
If so, try the mahogany top one.
That one has a deeper tone.
I just bought one this year, and love it.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Just bought one, They are great for recording! Great tone, you just have to place the microphone a little bit closer, but if you do that, its very hard to tell the difference between a mini and full size Taylor.
Recording is the great equalizer. Pun intended. The only time you really need a
fantastic sounding acoustic is when you're playing unplugged; that is when you can't hide behind an amp or a recording mic.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

personally I don't like either the baby or the mini. Just sound choppy. Full size Taylors are great.

Got a Rainsong parlor for my travel guitar. weighs hardly anything.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 08-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
personally I don't like either the baby or the mini. Just sound choppy. Full size Taylors are great.

Got a Rainsong parlor for my travel guitar. weighs hardly anything.
I replaced my GSM with a Rainsong P-12 also but in fairness to the GSM, the P-12 costs twice as much so I'd expect some improvement in tone! For fingerstyle, flatpicking, and light strumming, I found the all hog GSM to be very good at its price point. My travel guitar has to be able to handle a hot car, thus the prime motivator for me to go carbon.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-21-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
It is interesting to read the different expectations people have of the GS Mini. In my mind it is a travel guitar, and as such I have different expectations of it than I would full-size guitars at a similar price point. I figure part of what I am paying for is a reasonably high quality, fits-in-the-overhead-bin size guitar with a impressively nice carrying bag. On the flip side I am willing to accept somewhat lesser tone in exchange for this convenience. I certainly did this with my plinky, poorly intonated Baby T and I had the pleasure of playing it in quite a number of airports, motel rooms, etc.

This is where the GS Mini-and apparently the individual guitar I picked-really impressed me. It has good bass output and a treble without the excessively plinky character I tolerated with my Baby T. I get all the pleasure of having a travel guitar with tone and playability superior to my Baby T.

In its own right it is-to my ear anyway-better sounding than many sub $500 guitars. This is quite the bonus in my mind.

I've noted a key to the GS Mini's impressive tone is the Elixir mediums. They really add to the tone...and I don't use Elixirs on any of my other guitars.
Exactly my thinking!

Larrivee D10 (2003)
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce (2018)
Martin HD28V (2014)
Taylor K62ce 12-fret LTD 12-string (2016)
Taylor GSmini-e Rosewood (2014)
Gibson J45 Standard Vintage Sunburst (2016)
Ovation Custom Elite CE778 (2002)
Old 08-21-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBYork View Post
I'm probably right out of kilter with most of you but I just wanted to say how disappointed I was when I tried out the GS Mini on Tuesday at a local guitar store, Banks/Music Room in York.

Having read a lot of positives on the Forum about this guitar, I thought I'd check it out to see if it was worth investing £440 in.

There it was hung on the wall next to a Baby and several very nice full size models, including a 514ce which really caught my eye!

So whilst my good lady was touring the sales, I spent 45 minutes getting to know the guitar, expecting quite good things.

We have a Big Baby at home and until recently I had a Baby which I brought in the USA. I thought that these would be good reference points for the GS.

On the positive it looked nice and felt comfortable to hold and play, but that is where the disappointment began, I really didn't like the tone, I found it very shallow and overly bright. I would have been happy spending £200 but didn't think that it warranted a price of over £400.

Anyone else been disappointed with it or is it just me?
Me too. Had one for a whole week before it went back to Manson's.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Bought my GS Mini mahogany about 5 years ago.I am very pleased with it's tone.The short scale and smaller fretboard are the only feature that I find a bit disappointing.Otherwise I like the overall dimensions,the durability and look.
Earlier this year I ordered a Martin Dreadnought junior mahogany.It was easier to play due to the wider neck, but did not match GS Mini in terms of tone.So it was returned....

You should try the mahogany version of the GS Mini before giving up on it.Those seem to have a much mellower and balanced tone than the spruce topped models....

Gabe
Old 08-21-2017, 11:17 AM

What would a better guitar in that price range in that size? I'm open for all suggestions just not a Martin as their guitars in that price and size range don't compare to the Taylor to me.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I replaced my GSM with a Rainsong P-12 also but in fairness to the GSM, the P-12 costs twice as much so I'd expect some improvement in tone! For fingerstyle, flatpicking, and light strumming, I found the all hog GSM to be very good at its price point. My travel guitar has to be able to handle a hot car, thus the prime motivator for me to go carbon.
I bought a special order concert series RS parlor. It was supposed to be for the boat and travelling but it sounds so good I play it a lot. Sure...cost more, but I think it sounds great for finger picking which is my main style. Much richer than those little Taylors. Thomastik Enfield Plectrums strings make it even better. Although they cost 3X 'normal' strings. worth it to me. only live once.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 08-21-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick is Red View Post
I got to Best Buy blowing them out before I noticed that this thread dates to the early days of the GS Mini. lol

Taylor fixed the structural problems years ago. I'll need to be more attentive to outdated commentary.
I've suggested that this board print the original date of the thread (right under the OP's name, for instance) on the "recap" page, or whatever you call it. No moderators ever seem to pay any attention.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 PM

I was going to buy a GS mini just about a week ago until I played a Martin D jr. IMO, the Martin blows the Taylor out of the water in every aspect. I purchased a Spruce top Jr. Crisp, clean, articulate, great neck and solid wood. The only downfall to the Jr is the case. My hard case will be here Friday. The Martin is not just a travel guitar or one for smaller individuals. It is the real deal in a partially compact package. I wondered why GS mini's are always available used. Many on CL. I have not seen a Martin D Jr used on CL once since I have been watching (about a month). Seen 15+ GS mini's come and go....That tells me something...
Old 08-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Which one did you play, the spruce top model?
If so, try the mahogany top one.
That one has a deeper tone.
I just bought one this year, and love it.
The all hog ones that I've played are the best imo of the minis. If I was in the market for a smaller guitar, it would be an all hog mini.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-22-2017, 12:29 AM

I too was disappointed by the GS-Minis I've played.

IMO the Taylor Big Babies blow away the GS Mini.
TBBs have full scale of 25.5" while the mini is only 23.5.
To me those missing 2 inches makes the Mini's strings feel loose and wobbly and the sound is thin compared to the TBB.
TBBs are cheaper too, and being plain Jane all the money went into sound and playability, not cosmetics.

YMMV ... Clearly zillions like the GS Mini.

Buy what you like.
But please play everything.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:20 AM

Didn't have the fortitude to make it through all the previous posts, but I keep my mini at my office and also use it as a travel guitar. I've never had issues with intonation--it's excellent; and I find the sound exemplary for a travel guitar and not at all a shabby cousin of the other much pricier and more highly thought of guitars I own. Is it worth it's price? I couldn't find a better less expensive travel guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion