The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Default Do I need a new amp? Hollowbody solo act

Hello guys,
I got a good deal on an ariaproII hollowbody from 1977. At the moment I only have a Marshall AS50R acoustic amp.

My idea is to bring my acoustic fingerstyle playstyle to a hollowbody guitar to get a diffrent sound. I will most likely use it for a solo act, where i need a big clean sound to accompany my singing.

I'm not an expert in amps. I now run the ariaproII with a boss rv-6 reverb into the acoustic amp and get (for my ear's) a good sound. Now I'm wondering if I should consider to get a good electric tube amp?

I'm on a budget so I can't afford a high end tube amp. My budget would be around €500.
I'm in love with vintage guitars and amps so I would prefer an amp that is kind of old fashion.
Also a small amp wont be a problem as i will be micing the amp for most live things.

Can you guys give me some advise and maybe some examples of an amp?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Lots of choices.
Boss Katanas are inexpensive and available almost everywhere
https://za.boss.info/categories/amplifiers/
Old 08-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Lots of choices.
Boss Katanas are inexpensive and available almost everywhere
https://za.boss.info/categories/amplifiers/
I've played on that amp a couple of times. Not something for me. Way too much things I dont use/need.
I thought it was solid state aswell.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archabu View Post
Hello guys,
I got a good deal on an ariaproII hollowbody from 1977. At the moment I only have a Marshall AS50R acoustic amp.

My idea is to bring my acoustic fingerstyle playstyle to a hollowbody guitar to get a diffrent sound. I will most likely use it for a solo act, where i need a big clean sound to accompany my singing.

I'm not an expert in amps. I now run the ariaproII with a boss rv-6 reverb into the acoustic amp and get (for my ear's) a good sound. Now I'm wondering if I should consider to get a good electric tube amp?

I'm on a budget so I can't afford a high end tube amp. My budget would be around €500.
I'm in love with vintage guitars and amps so I would prefer an amp that is kind of old fashion.
Also a small amp wont be a problem as i will be micing the amp for most live things.

Can you guys give me some advise and maybe some examples of an amp?
I'd expect that your current rig should be fine for what you describe. In the vast majority of cases, I think tube amps for lower-volume clean playing are unecessary and add little if any value.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archabu View Post
...I need a big clean sound to accompany my singing...I'm on a budget so I can't afford a high end tube amp. My budget would be around €500...a small amp wont be a problem as i will be micing the amp for most live things...
While selection/pricing might vary in the EU, this should give you a good idea of what's out there in your range:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tube-Com...rrencyCode=USD

As the owner of a first-edition "blue-light" V22 and more recent V5 Infinium I'm kinda partial to the Bugera line, IME the best bang-for-the-buck in its price range. BTW I'm also a fan of "big clean" tube amp tone - even at lower volume levels - and the trick to achieving it with a tube amp is to have as much headroom (read reserve power) as possible; that said, the V22 would probably be well-suited to your needs - run the master volume on full and use the preamp gain and guitar controls to regulate overall output, and you should have enough clean tube tone for most reasonably-sized venues or a miked situation. While some folks might consider it overkill, for an extra $50 US I wouldn't necessarily rule out the V55 at well over twice the power - remember it's not about sheer volume but dynamic range and clean headroom; when I went to see Les Paul at a small jazz club here in NYC about 20 years ago, he was using a 100W silverface Twin Reverb - the "wrong" amp for the situation in the eyes of some - with the volume set around 2, and since his tone credentials need no further introduction I'd tend to think a similar big-power/high-headroom/low-volume setup would be an excellent place to start...
Old 08-09-2017, 09:20 PM

I would approach it from the perspective of power and speaker size.

A perfect match to your stated needs would be the Roland Blues Cube Hot 30. It is solid state, but a completely different approach that sounds amazing. It is based on a tweed Fender (a favorite of Clapton, Neil Young, heck even Kirk Hammett for his clean tones). While you expect to mic it, there will be times when you can't so the 30 watts and 12 inch speaker will be a blessing.

It is bone simple in terms of controls, and best of all it is in your budget. At the top end no doubt, but still under budget. Here's a review.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:34 PM

I would think that your Marshall acoustic amp will sound fine for the fingerstyle type playing that you describe. See for yourself before you buy another.

If you find that you do want another amp, the Fender Super Champ X2 has a tube output section with a superb clean channel, and some pretty good modeling presets, too. This amp would almost certainly work well for you - but again, I'd be in no hurry to buy another amp until you determine how well you like the sound of the electric guitar thru the AS50R.

Here's a Thomann listing for the 435 euro Super Champ.

https://www.thomann.de/nl/fender_super_champ_x2.htm

Last edited by jomaynor; 08-09-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 PM

The VHT Special 6 gets a lot of love and is supposed to have smooth overdrive and that scooped Fender sound. Also a used PRRI may be in your price range.

Another amp I'd try is the Vox AC10.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars