The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor shim kits

In the past Taylor would send you some shim kits to do your own neck reset (once they talk to your anbd got a sense you kinda know what you're doing).

They recently created a "shim kit" they sell. Thats a lot easier. Its not listed on their website - you still have to call them.

It was about $70. What I didn't expect was that it included a full set of every tool you will need.

I didn't need any of the tools, but I did like their home-made spanner wrench screwdriver for removing ES2 knobs.

I am overwhelmed now by how many shims I have amassed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231218_191752.jpg (23.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 20231218_191824.jpg (33.3 KB, 100 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-21-2023, 02:22 AM

Default Taylor customer service is as good as it gets.

In a time where getting any sort of customer service is becoming rare, Taylor continue to support owners of their guitars.

Whenever I’ve reached out the response has been quick and helpful. Including very recently when they sent me some neck shims and instructions free of charge for a GS Mini which the owner (my sister) had bought secondhand.

Just top notch customer service.

I like the look of the full kit you purchased. At $70 it seems like very good value for money.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

They recently created a "shim kit" they sell.

It was about $70.

I am overwhelmed now by how many shims I have amassed
I assume you amassed some of those shims outside of the kit. How many shims do you get with the $70 kit, and how do they determine the shim size range for your particular need(s)?
Old 12-23-2023, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Just recently (30 days) I decided to tackle a much needed reset on an R. Taylor keeper. Having never done it before, I was apprehensive but I am a woodworker by trade and after watching near every video and recommendation I charged forward. A very easy and quick conversation with Taylor Customer service resulted in the info they needed. Relative Humidity of the instrument, Current Action at strings 1 and 6 (12th fret) with the neck in a no relief position, and my goals as to what action was desired to be. It was also STRONGLY insisted that I start with a new saddle, because that is a reference point to them. I had just replaced mine and they were fine with that.

They offered to either sell me a kit ( I think he said about 50 shims?) or they can use my measures to send me a couple sizes each side of my target mark for free. I chose the latter option as none of my other Taylor's were in need of that kind of service.

I will say that I enjoyed the learning process, seeing the trial and error effects of what the different tapers and sizes actually do. Each size is both a different thickness AND a different taper. A size 0 shim has a fixed thickness with no taper at all.

I ended up using the largest of the 4 sizes sent to me and minimized the relief (nearly flat, maybe .003 or .004). The action is low and perfect for finger-style and light pick. I can't say enough about Taylor customer service, willingness to offer help, and general cooperative nature. I enjoyed the process and the learning. I will say that if you feel awkward with tools and fine measurements, you may want to look for a service center. But if you have skills with tools and working in thousandths, it's not really that intimidating. The greatest risk is protecting the instrument from dropping tools. Quite a satisfying result for me.

Last edited by Brian55; 12-23-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I assume you amassed some of those shims outside of the kit. How many shims do you get with the $70 kit, and how do they determine the shim size range for your particular need(s)?
Those kits each come with two full shim sets. I didn't know they were available to the public, but we maintain two full kits at my shop, and order replinishments from Taylor as we go through the higher numbers.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:48 PM

My kit came with a Phillips screw driver for removing the truss rod cover, a combo tool with a screwdriver and a nut driver (for adjusting the truss rod), a 7/16" nut driver, a 10mm nut driver, two 3/16" nut driver bits, two shim sets, and stickers. Also, a box wrench gear wrench.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian55 View Post
Just recently (30 days) A very easy and quick conversation with Taylor Customer service resulted in the info they needed. Relative Humidity of the instrument, Current Action at strings 1 and 6 (12th fret) with the neck in a no relief position, and my goals as to what action was desired to be. It was also STRONGLY insisted that I start with a new saddle, because that is a reference point to them. I had just replaced mine and they were fine with that.

They offered to either sell me a kit ( I think he said about 50 shims?) or they can use my measures to send me a couple sizes each side of my target mark for free. I chose the latter option as none of my other Taylor's were in need of that kind of service.
Useful info! Thanks
Old 12-24-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Those kits each come with two full shim sets. I didn't know they were available to the public, but we maintain two full kits at my shop, and order replinishments from Taylor as we go through the higher numbers.
Not sure how many shims are in a full shim set, but if the previous poster is correct - 50?? With the tools, $70 seems fair for that lot. Yay, Taylor, and thanks for the info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair