The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-21-2017, 05:08 PM

Default Mel Tillis : R.I.P

Tillis, who overcame stuttering en route to a career in country music and more, has long owned a ranch east of Ocala, where he loved to paint and raise cattle.

Mel Tillis, the stuttering songwriter turned country music legend and Marion County resident, died Sunday at Munroe Regional Medical Center in Ocala. He was 85.

Tillis, who wrote hits for Kenny Rogers, Ricky Skaggs and many others, had been battling intestinal issues since 2016 and never fully recovered. The suspected cause of death is respiratory failure, according to Tillis spokesman Don Murry Grubbs.

Tillis, father of country singer Pam Tillis, recorded more than 60 albums and had more than 30 top 10 country singles, including Good Woman Blues, ″Coca Cola Cowboy and Southern Rain. Among the hits he wrote for others were Detroit City for Bobby Bare; Ruby, Don?t Take Your Love to Town, by Rogers and the First Edition, and Thoughts of a Fool for George Strait.

Buddy Martin, an Ocala resident and longtime sports journalist and book author who anchors the weekly Terry Bradshaw Show on radio, said his association with the NFL Hall of Fame quarterback led to him meeting Tillis. Bradshaw, who has been good friends with Tillis since they appeared together in the movie, Cannonball Run in 1981, recently wished Tillis well on the radio show, Martin said.

Terry talked to Mel regularly, Martin said. Even though he was in hospice, Mel told Terry three weeks ago about his plans; what he was going to do next in life. I am sure he was picking (a guitar) until the end.

Tillis told Martin about his journey to stardom. Tillis said he was embarrassed about his stuttering so he wrote songs and stayed behind the scenes. Tillis later recounted that, eventually, he began singing.

?People are not laughing at you, they are laughing with you, Tillis told Martin of conversations that led him on stage and to his stint as a comedic actor in The Cannonball Run, where he stuttered himself into the heart of many more Americans.

Country music stars Charlie Daniels, Crystal Gayle and Blake Shelton offered their condolences on Twitter.

?Mel Tillis, you will be missed by so many of us you touched over the years, Daniels tweeted. Rest in peace my friend.

?Mel Tillis was a special friend, great artist, and constant inspiration to me Heaven's choir just got sweeter, said country singer Randy Travis on Twitter.

Tillis has a ranch on the edge of the Ocala National Forest. Tillis, whose painted artwork has been displayed throughout Ocala in recent years, was born in Tampa and raised in Pahokee. He told the Star-Banner in 2012 that he was aware of Ocala from family drives between Lake Okeechobee and Gainesville. His home is off State Road 40 and serves as a cattle ranch, fishing hole, costume warehouse and an artist studio. It even has a dry dock for the yacht that close friend Burl Ives left Tillis when he died.

In 2012, President Obama awarded him the National Medal of the Arts. In a story in the Star-Banner back then, Tillis, then 79, talked about his dozens and dozens of awards. He stood near his glass cases at his ranch and shared some of the memories associated with the memorabilia and hardware that he had collected during his 57-year career.

Tillis, who had even more awards at his Tennessee ranch, is a member of three halls of fame: Florida Artist, Country Music, and Songwriters. He said despite those elite honors, including Entertainer of the Year and Songwriter of the Decade, his prized award is the National Medal of the Arts he received in 2012 from President Obama at the White House.

It's the biggest, he says. I thought I'd won them all, until that come along. It?s bigger than a Grammy. The honor is bigger than Detroit City, bigger than all my songs put together.

According to a White House press release about the award, Tillis was recognized for his contributions to country music.

?Mr. Tillis famously overcame a stutter to develop his iconic style, both poetic and down-to-earth, the release noted. Having written over 1,000 songs and recorded more than 60 albums, Mr. Tillis brought his unique blend of warmth and humor to the great tradition of country music. He remains one of the most inventive artists of the golden generation of singer-songesongwriters.

Chief Dennis Strow of the Williston Police Department, said during his tenure at the Marion County Sheriff?s Office that the sheriff's office honored Tillis and the Marion County Commission even created a Mel Tillis Day. Strow said he was down to earth and knew where his roots were.

?He was a class act, Strow said.

Last edited by murrmac123; 11-21-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Tillis, who overcame stuttering en route to a career in country music...
An interesting speech physiological phenomenon: Tillis of course stuttered occasionally when he spoke, but never when he sang.

An excellent songwriter. A whole host of solo and collaborative compositions to his credit. With Danny Dill, for example, he joined forces to pen "Detroit City" (obviously made famous by Bobby Bare, but originally recorded by Billy Grammer under the title "I Wanna Go Home"--#18 US Country, 1963).

Too, in 1967 Tillis composed the most affective Vietnam War-themed song ever produced (referred to in the immortal passage-- "It wasn't me that started that old crazy Asian war, but I was proud to go and do my patriotic chore"): "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town"; first recorded by Johnny Darrell--#9 US Country in 1967--but eventually made internationally famous by Kenny Rogers and The First Edition in 1969: #6 US Billboard; #39 US Country; #6 US Adult Contemporary; #2 Canada Country; #4 Canada; #1 Canada Adult Contemporary; #6 New Zealand; #2 UK; and #9 Australia.

Last edited by Inyo; 11-22-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:30 AM

I know it has to do with my age but it seems artists that I listened to for years are dropping like flies.

Godspeed, Mr. Tillis. Thanks for the music and the memories!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Mel was a very good songwriter and his stutter while speaking but not while singing certainly made him stand-out. I wasn’t one to buy recordings of artists of that style, but I always enjoyed his TV performances. RIP, Mr. Tillis.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:14 AM

I never bought any of his albums, but enjoyed him on several variety shows back in the 70's. I had no idea he was such a prolific songwriter. A talented guy that seemed very humble.
RIP, Mel.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:00 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic