The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 PM

Default Acoustic guitar microphones for the stage...

For a variety of reasons I'm considering exploring the microphone option for my guitar(s).

Specifically, a mic intended for on stage acoustic guitar amplification...I already have a vocal mike. Something affordable, robust, and preferably not needing a battery...keeping it simple.

The first thing that came to mind was a Shure SM57, but I got around to wondering what other good alternatives might be out there these days.

As always, any advice is appreciated.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
Something affordable, robust, and preferably not needing a battery...keeping it simple.
That might limit your choices. I was going to recommend the AT Pro70 clip-on condenser that I've used for the past few years but it does use a 1.5v AA battery if phantom power is not available. It's a great little mic, especially if you like to move around. A low-gain dynamic like an SM57 on a stand, can limit your movement (being just 2 or 3 inches away from optimum position can cut your gain drastically). A condenser on a stand, like a Rode M5 (doesn't need a battery but does need phantom power), will be more forgiving of minor movements.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:48 AM

I recommend iRig acoustic stage, it’s a discrete clip on digital MEMS mic and gives better sound than a dynamic or condenser mic. It comes with a preamp that calibrates with your guitar and has various EQ settings and settings for steel or nylon strung guitars

Here’s a demo I did comparing it with a condenser mic and a clip on piezo

https://youtu.be/9LGwsS6ZavQ
Old 12-10-2017, 07:27 AM

Mxl 603s is the acoustic worlds best kept secret.
I picked up a stereo pair on eBay came in a case
With two shock mounts and windscreens for 149.00.
They don't take a battery but require 48v phantom power.
You can buy a used one for 40 buck if you shop around.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:21 AM

Hmmm. I might have to rethink the battery thing, then. Well, that's why I ask questions here....for the good advice Anyway, it's easier to change a microphone battery on the fly than the pickup batteries in my guitars, which require at least a few strings to be removed to get my hand in there.

Here's what prompted my question...If you'll indulge me...
Yesterday I was browsing conversations from the other side, the soundman's POV. They all had stories of performers stepping up to the stage and finding their pickup batteries had passed away.
At the same time, I had on the TV a PBS show that had a solo performer (seated) with a simple vocal and instrument mic set-up.
Spare guitars, I have (I think just about everyone on this forum does ), spare cables, etc., too. I was surprised to hear from the soundmen that they found few performers carried spare batteries, though. Make a note.
But I won't be carrying spare amplifiers...

So I figured I'd look into it, if for no other reason than a backup that I could plug into the amp or a PA if a pickup should fail, and possibly because I may like it as a better option.

As an(other) aside. I still haven't settled on sitting or standing. I mostly practice while seated, but I also make it a point to see how things work from a standing position. Standing sounds good to me...I even modified my keyboards back then to be played from a standing position...but I have a bad left leg that isn't getting better, so...no decision yet.

In either case, I'll be ready. Luck favors the prepared.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Before you give up on dynamic mics check out the Beyerdynamic M201 TG.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:02 PM

The biggest problem with mics on acoustic instruments on stage is when the instrument moves around. This can be so little as the instrument swaying back and forth a few degrees, or as much as a performer stepping back and forth a couple feet or more. Getting a mic that clips onto the instrument, either around the edge of the body like the DPA clip, or a soundhole mount, will be much more reliable, in that the mic stays in the same spot relative to the instrument.

The second problem is feedback. If you're using in-ears, then this is less of a problem. But having another open mic on stage will always lead to more potential for feedback. This goes double if the mic is pointed at a large acoustic resonating chamber, like the body of an acoustic guitar. You have to trust your monitor engineer to be good at their job for this one.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:52 PM

It's maybe a bit unusual, but for two years now our lead guitar and mando player has been using an EV 767A mic for his instruments. Super feedback resistant and great punchy sound.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:30 PM

Default guitar mike

For guitar, I have been delighted with my Audix i5's.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:09 PM

Blue Encore 100i.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
Hmmm. I might have to rethink the battery thing, then. Well, that's why I ask questions here....for the good advice Anyway, it's easier to change a microphone battery on the fly than the pickup batteries in my guitars, which require at least a few strings to be removed to get my hand in there.

Here's what prompted my question...If you'll indulge me...
Yesterday I was browsing conversations from the other side, the soundman's POV. They all had stories of performers stepping up to the stage and finding their pickup batteries had passed away.
At the same time, I had on the TV a PBS show that had a solo performer (seated) with a simple vocal and instrument mic set-up.
Spare guitars, I have (I think just about everyone on this forum does ), spare cables, etc., too. I was surprised to hear from the soundmen that they found few performers carried spare batteries, though. Make a note.
But I won't be carrying spare amplifiers...

So I figured I'd look into it, if for no other reason than a backup that I could plug into the amp or a PA if a pickup should fail, and possibly because I may like it as a better option.

As an(other) aside. I still haven't settled on sitting or standing. I mostly practice while seated, but I also make it a point to see how things work from a standing position. Standing sounds good to me...I even modified my keyboards back then to be played from a standing position...but I have a bad left leg that isn't getting better, so...no decision yet.

In either case, I'll be ready. Luck favors the prepared.
What's the reason for the battery. Is 48 v phantom unavailable?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie1971 View Post
I recommend iRig acoustic stage, it’s a discrete clip on digital MEMS mic and gives better sound than a dynamic or condenser mic. It comes with a preamp that calibrates with your guitar and has various EQ settings and settings for steel or nylon strung guitars

Here’s a demo I did comparing it with a condenser mic and a clip on piezo

https://youtu.be/9LGwsS6ZavQ
Best $ I've spent on any accessory. Have a couple vintage Gibson's, the iRig captures their essence well. Also looked it on other acoustics as you can mix the mic with the onboard pickup to get a truer sound of the guitar.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 AM

I’ve used a Beyerdynamic 930 very effectively on stage. The old AKG C1000 is also pretty useful as this has battery power.

Rather than the mic in many situations it is those other factors - monitor placements and so in - that are most significant.

The good news is that you only need a small amount of real mic in a blended signal to give more air and space to the sound.

A preamp with a good notch filter is a good investment.
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification