The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Default Boutique electric guitar Pedals

Lots of great input on the "Boutique Amps" thread. What about boutique electric guitar pedals? I don't have any and I'm not planning on getting any, although the Friedman Dirty Shirley pedal has me intrigued.

What boutique pedals have you tried, do you like, and do you own?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM

Greer Amps Lightspeed. Bondi Effects Sick-As. Chase Bliss Brothers. Those are probably my favorite three boutique drives. For wet effects, I like the Strymon three (the Stryfecta, it’s called), Source Audio Nemesis and Ventris, and Empress Reverb.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 12-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

I only have two pedals period ( at the current time)

One while maybe not "Boutique" is a definitely a "Classic" and that is the MRX Carbon Copy (all analog) delay using the classic Bucket Brigade analog delay circuits.

The other might be considered boutique in that it was a special limited run of 1500 (no longer made) signature pedal made by Xotic of California - Soul Driven AH (for Allen Hinds ) Over Drive/Boost

Some I could possibly consider in the future:

Neunaber Expanse , which can be programed for multiple different FX including Reverb, Shimmer, Echo, Chorus , Phaser, Flanger , and Tremolo

Then another that looks pretty interesting is the Belle Epoch Deluxe by Catlinbread.. a digital pedal with the same analog pre section circuitry as the original Ecoplex tape delay

And last the new version of Arion Chorus pedal the EWS SCH-Z Modified Arion Stereo Chorus/Vibe Pedal a new updated on another classic

here is a quick vid on the Neunaber Expanse in the "Shimmer/Reverb" mode

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-09-2017, 03:45 PM

Strymon Brigadier, Strymon tape echo. I REALLy wish the mfg's like Keeley would stop using the bright blue lights for power. For some reason they blind me.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Mmmm...

How about a BK Butler Tube Driver and an EP-3 Echoplex? "Meat and potatoes boutique."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-09-2017, 05:44 PM

Arc Klone and an MJM Sixties Vibe.

The Klone is a first rate replica of the fabled Klon Centaur. I had one in for repair after the owner plugged it into a 12V supply, and had the joy of plugging that in to my Super Reverb. Easily the best overdrive pedal I've used, ever.

The Sixties Vibe nails the original Univibe sound made famous by Robin Trower and David Gilmour. It wasn't cheap, but it makes me grin every time I have it switched on. It takes a fairly stout 18V supply to run, so I've got two outputs of my pedal power supply bridged to power it.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-09-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
Greer Amps Lightspeed. Bondi Effects Sick-As. Chase Bliss Brothers. Those are probably my favorite three boutique drives. For wet effects, I like the Strymon three (the Stryfecta, it’s called), Source Audio Nemesis and Ventris, and Empress Reverb.
I haven't heard of any of those first three you listed. Now that's what you call boutique . You mentioned the Greer, Bondi and Chase are drive pedals. OD or distortion?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I haven't heard of any of those first three you listed. Now that's what you call boutique . You mentioned the Greer, Bondi and Chase are drive pedals. OD or distortion?
All three are ODs. The Lightspeed is a Bluesbreaker-type OD. The Sick-As is a TS. The Brothers is a Swiss army knife of a thing. Boost and drive and can do fuzz too.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

...i've had pedals made by Keeley, Analogman,Fulltone,Wampler,J Rockett,T Jauaenig, Lovepedal, Hermida,Mad Professor,Xotic,Paul Cochrane,Strymon,Barber,Mojo Hand,Voodoo Labs and several others i can't remember as well as the biggies like Boss MXR and Digitech...and i've owned multiple pedals by pretty much all the companies i've listed....

....i've found stuff to like about just about all of them...my current preferences right now are Barber for dirt and Strymon for reverbs and delays...

Last edited by J Patrick; 12-10-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:10 AM

i have the fulltone fulldrive3 that is an excellent overdrive/boost pedal. recently reincarnated is my bk butler real tube pedal that houses a 12ax7 inside. i have a bunch of great strymon pedals-the deco, which is my go to pedal as it covers a lot of bases being a flanger, chorus, delay, echo and tape saturation pedal. the timeline that is a great delay/loop pedal, the big sky reverb that sounds excellent and the mobius that is a modulation pedal with chorus, tremolo, etc.

fun stuff!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...i've had pedals made by Keeley, Analogman,Fulltone,Wampler,J Rockett,T Jauaenig, Lovepedal, Hermida,Mad Professor,Xotic,Paul Cochrane,Strymon,Barber,Mojo Hand,Voodoo Labs and several others i can't remember as well as the biggies like Boss MXR and Digitech...and i've owned multiple pedals by pretty much all the companies i've listed....

....i've found stuff to like about just about all of them...my current preferences right now are Barber for dirt and Strymon for reverbs and delays...
You've had them all. When it comes to OD pedals do you find you're getting a lot more from a boutique pedal than a non-boutique pedal?
Old 12-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Lots of great input on the "Boutique Amps" thread. What about boutique electric guitar pedals? I don't have any and I'm not planning on getting any, although the Friedman Dirty Shirley pedal has me intrigued.

What boutique pedals have you tried, do you like, and do you own?
I have a Basic Audio Foxey Lady fuzz on my board; it's a pre-Muff circuit, I like it a lot. Sort of a cross between the sounds you typically get from a Fuzz Face and a heavy distortion pedal.

Had a Dr. Scientist The Elements, should have held onto it. Very versatile, well-built. Really cool clean boost capability especially if you like your sound "rounded out" for lack of a better term.

I have a J Rockett Blue Note, another really stellar pedal.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:05 PM

Just curious to know how one defines “boutique”? Is it # of units produced? Or is it the # of people involved in the production? Or price tag?
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 12-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
Just curious to know how one defines “boutique”? Is it # of units produced? Or is it the # of people involved in the production? Or price tag?
My definition of boutique pedals and amps are that they are built by a small manufacturer (can be a single person or just a few) and made with quality components. Skilled labour and quality parts costs $. I also see it as being made in a first world country although I'm not sure if everyone includes that in their definition.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You've had them all. When it comes to OD pedals do you find you're getting a lot more from a boutique pedal than a non-boutique pedal?
...LOL...not even close to half of whats out there!!...no i don't think you get more per se...just a lot more variety...boutique pedal makers... (like their guitar and amp making counterparts)..are a tireless bunch and they're constantly bringing new twists to their circuits....

......add to that the video cyber-scene that now exists where top players like Pete Thorn and Mike Hermans can showcase these pedals and you have a thriving market where pedal GAS is rampant....head over to the Gear Page and check out how many used pedals are listed in a single day...its mind boggling...btw ...in the soft market with the holidaze upon us its a great time to pick some boutique dirt...dirt cheap...

...i'll only add that a Tube Screamer and a Deluxe Memory Man should be able to get any player just as much pedal driven goodness as anything that qualifies as "boutique"...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars