The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-16-2016, 10:48 PM

Default NGD. Cherry(maple)/Sitka J45 pattern

Hey guys.

Here's the latest off my bench. This is a new record for me - 2 guitars nominally finished in one year (though I think I probably started both at the tail end of last year).

This guitar is #7 for me. But only the 2nd in 5 years... Kids + moving 3 times makes it hard to build. So the first 2 back from hiatus were very minimal. Very simple rosette, no purflings, unbound fretboard, etc.... I just wanted to knock the rust off . Just focus on finishing guitars that sound good and play well.

It's a Sitka top. Back and sides were sold to me as cherry - though I believe they are actually heart maple.... They don't really darken in the light and they don't have the prominent medullary Rays of quartersawn cherry.

The neck is cherry (real cherry). Fretboard is Katalox. The bridge is some sort of dark rosewood which I got at Woodcraft 10 years ago and can't remember the specifics. Bindings and head plate are Mahogany.

This is a 24.75" scale... Bracing and such are based off of "old" J45.

And here are the twins taking it for a test drive!

Thanks for looking.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:00 AM

Very Nice, finding time to do anything with kids that does not revolve around them is rare indeed. My youngest is 16 plays plays High School soccer and she sings like an angel. Keep us hopping
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 12-17-2016, 07:44 PM

Its nice when you see what you have made being used.

Two thumbs up

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-19-2016, 12:59 PM

Also, absolutely nothing wrong with a simple(r) design
Old 12-19-2016, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

In hind sight - I wish I could have kept my early builds much more simple.... I had to fix a bunch of boo-boos and tried to do some fancy stuff to cover it up. And it took a TON of extra time. But ironically... It's actually kinda hard to really go "simple" because you can't make mistakes that you have to cover up with some special feature. For example.... I didn't do a butt wedge on #6... But that meant I had to get the grain lines of the sides mated up about perfect and a nice pretty glue joint on the back end of the guitar...

You know. The more I look at the pix - the back and sides set may well be birch. How's that for Authentic Gibson wood choice.... . As I said - it was sold to me as cherry about 10 years ago.... I didn't really know what I was looking at and how to tell the difference. Now - it's obvious to me that its not cherry.

Either way - It's got a big, full sound, it's easy to play, and it's got plenty of volume. Brother in law wanted it.... So I went ahead and gave it to him.... It was gone 6 hours after I put strings on it..... I will go get it back in a couple weeks to touch up the setup...

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair