The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-06-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Try these. I have hours of fun playing I IV V chord progressions with the pentatonics:

http://www.freeguitarsource.com/Blue...ues_Scale.html
Dang! Another good site that does me little good. I'm a lefty who plays lefty. So the neck diagram -- and it's even interactive! -- is not very helpful for me.

I did finally find a lefty diagram of the major scales that go along with the C-A-G-E-D chord forms. It indicated in a different color where to the find the root notes in each scale. I printed this out, drew a box around the notes that made up the chord shape, and then used a different mark to indicate the pentatonic scale within the major scale. I have found no such multi-purpose tool anywhere on the internet. But it works for me, and has become a very useful element in my daily practice.

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 05-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
Dang! Another good site that does me little good. I'm a lefty who plays lefty. So the neck diagram -- and it's even interactive! -- is not very helpful for me.

I did finally find a lefty diagram of the major scales that go along with the C-A-G-E-D chord forms. It indicated in a different color where to the find the root notes in each scale. I printed this out, drew a box around the notes that made up the chord shape, and then used a different mark to indicate the pentatonic scale within the major scale. I have found no such multi-purpose tool anywhere on the internet. But it works for me, and has become a very useful element in my daily practice.
Oh shoot, I didn't think of that! Might be a good idea to email them and make a suggestion to add that option (flip the fretboard).

I don't really use the interactive part though as I get a heck of a lot of fun just from the E minor stuff from the 3rd fret to the 5 fret positions. Even just 3-5 3-5 (frets on the first and second strings) and 5-6-7, 5-8 (on the first and second strings) adds a lot of flavor in between E7 A7 and B7 (12 bar blues). You can play those notes in between the chords in the progression. For instance playing a E7 four beats, then 3-5, 3-5, 5-6-7 (1st string, 2nd string, then 1st string) in time and then going to the A7 chord is really cool to fool around with.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
I can't view the chart, but based on your post alone I can't see why you're calling this out as an error.

I looked over the site and didn't see anything that stood out as glaringly wrong.

Could you elaborate on this?.
I can't see it now either but from memory there were three scale patterns. Two were correctly named as Major Scales. The other was named as an A scale, without saying if it was major or minor, (It was actually A major, or F#m pentatonic), but at the top left of the page it was called Am.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Oh shoot, I didn't think of that! Might be a good idea to email them and make a suggestion to add that option (flip the fretboard).

I don't really use the interactive part though as I get a heck of a lot of fun just from the E minor stuff from the 3rd fret to the 5 fret positions. Even just 3-5 3-5 (frets on the first and second strings) and 5-6-7, 5-8 (on the first and second strings) adds a lot of flavor in between E7 A7 and B7 (12 bar blues). You can play those notes in between the chords in the progression. For instance playing a E7 four beats, then 3-5, 3-5, 5-6-7 (1st string, 2nd string, then 1st string) in time and then going to the A7 chord is really cool to fool around with.
Barry, great minds think alike! I did EXACTLY that, on the comment page of the website, and I used EXACTLY the same word... "flip" the diagrams/charts. There is an online forum just for lefty guitar players. It's much smaller than this one, naturally, and so much less active. But I tell you what, we lefty players share info on whatever resources we can find! So if this particular website were to provide lefty versions, word would spread F-A-S-T...and that includes the guitar dealers nationwide who specialize in lefty guitars.

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 05-06-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Try these. I have hours of fun playing I IV V chord progressions with the pentatonics:

http://www.freeguitarsource.com/Blue...ues_Scale.html
Thanks for the website TBman looks good
Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Neck Diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post

Ellamom, I have been using this software: http://www.neckdiagrams.com/ for creating chord charts and neck diagrams. It is very flexible and creates beautiful diagrams. One VERY nice feature is the ability to view and print them either left or right handed by pressing one button.

The software can build scales, will display the fingering, notes, intervals, etc. I really like it and use it a lot. Pretty inexpensive too! Take a look.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just find the software really useful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write