The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-14-2017, 08:18 AM

Default Fingerstyle players: nylon or steel?

Question for fingerstyle players: Do you have or have you played BOTH steel AND nylon string guitars, and if so, are there certain things you can do better on one than the other? This isn't a question so much about which you prefer. It has more to do with which you might choose to accomplish certain things on the guitar. Maybe that sounds a bit vague, but here's where I'm coming from.

My herd is mostly steel string, with one nylon crossover. Last night I got them all out to "water" them (refill the humidifiers). So I took the time to play each for at least 10 minutes. The differences are, of course, about so much more than just the strings (12 fret vs. 14 fret), body shape (parlor vs. small jumbo vs. dread), wood (cedar, spruce), neck (wide, narrow, shape), etc. That said, some are easier to play hammer-ons/pull-offs, some are easier to barre, steel strings have more sustain, nylon more warmth, etc.

There are some pretty accomplished fingerstyle players on this forum. I'm curious what you play most (nylon or steel) and why.

Thanks.

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-14-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Steel only. I learned on nylon decades ago, but haven't owned one since. I might be swayed by a classical if I could find one with a narrow neck, but they're hard to come by. And playing with others, steel just works better.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Steel only. I learned on nylon decades ago, but haven't owned one since. I might be swayed by a classical if I could find one with a narrow neck, but they're hard to come by. And playing with others, steel just works better.
Oh, good point on playing with others. I don't know as I've ever seen anyone play nylon when in an ensemble.

My nylon string is a crossover, so...narrower neck and with a slight radius (not flat, like traditional classicals).

My crossover also has on-board electronics, so it could be amplified. But I've never tried it, since I only play for my own pleasure (or pain, depending on the day!).

Old 04-14-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
Question for fingerstyle players: Do you have or have you played BOTH steel AND nylon string guitars, and if so, are there certain things you can do better on one than the other?

That said, some are easier to play hammer-ons/pull-offs, some are easier to barre, steel strings have more sustain, nylon more warmth, etc.

There are some pretty accomplished fingerstyle players on this forum. I'm curious what you play most (nylon or steel) and why.
I've owned and played both nylon classical and steel acoustic guitars. I don't currently have a nylon, but had a Godin on order which fell through. I will still get a nylon Godin before years end. I prefer steel acoustic over nylon or for that matter electric guitars because I like their "action" and tone best. I feel a well rounded guitar player should have a mix of guitars in his/her arsenal however.

I agree and posted in another thread that, for me at least, some guitars lend themselves better to certain techniques than others. That may not hold true for world class guitar players like TE, DD, Wayne Johnson etal. I can do some things better on nylon than steel, some better on steel acoustic than electric and vice versa. I think there are differences between nearly identical guitars too. For example my 916 and K26, although the same body sizes, same scale, same strings, virtually same everything except wood, play easier than my 616 which has a barely perceptible higher action although still within tolerance. And I can play what I call (not sure if that's a correct nomenclature) a rolling arpeggiated scale run on my electrics just a tad faster and more importantly cleaner on my electrics than on my acoustics.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

For open tuning and for sheer volume when not playing alone or for a large group, steel string seems to work better for me.

However, for me, nothing beats the warmth, depth, subtle tonal variations, and intimacy of a decent classical guitar.

A nylon string crossover can bridge these two extremes very well, but is a jack of all trades, and a master of none, though what it is for, it does better than anything else. It isn't a steel string, and does not compare to a fine classical instrument. But neither of those is what a crossover is. A crossover can be considered a performer's nylon string guitar. I would much rather take my Taylor crossover out to play among other people than my fine hand made classical guitar. For playing at home, my classical guitar is my first choice.

My preferences tend toward the nylon string. It is easier on the hands and fingers and fingernails. My musical tastes are tending toward the quiet and intimate, rather than the need for volume. Also, I am spending much less time playing around with open tuning. I just never really got comfortable with open tunings, as fun as they could be to dabble in. I do enjoy listening to what other folks come up with though.

I do think that, for at least some of us, our musical tastes and preferences in a guitar change over time. Also, many of us have a wider range of musical interests than one guitar can cover well. So, rather than a mutually exclusive approach, I agree with those who say that having more than one type of guitar in the collection makes perfect sense. That said, if I had to pick just one guitar, the choice would be easy for me - my Brunton classical.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-14-2017, 11:35 AM

About 2 years ago, I became infatuated with the sound of nylon string guitars. My steel string guitar has been collecting dust since then.

My primary nylon string guitar is not a true classical. It has a flat fretboard with 2 inch wide at the nut.

I find the wider spacing between strings & at the nut make fingerstyle playing easier for me.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I played mainly a classical guitar for many years and for some music a classical guitar is vastly superior to my ear. For example here is a recording I did a few years back on my Ramirez guitar:

http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Mu...CriolloTwo.mp3

For this one I can't imagine using a steel string guitar.

For other music a flattop steel string just sounds better to my ears.

There are obvious differences in tone, sustain, and bass to treble balance. Playing issues include more buzzes likely on a flattop and of course the fretboard width.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-14-2017, 12:42 PM

If you have seen my other recent posts, you will have noticed that I'm moving to "carbon" strings only.

I got tired of the to plain steel strings, just to metallic for me. I prefer the warmer carbon and nylon strings. Saying that, I am using the brightest carbon strings I can find, but here, I couldn't be happier.

When I bend they are only subtle bends, so I can do that on these strings. A semi-tone bend becomes more difficult but doable if I really need to. If not, then I might just do a slide up a fret instead.

You get next to no sustain with nylon strings, but you can get a substantial amount more sustain from carbon strings. With the music I play, the sustain with the carbons is sufficient.

The bonus is that I also get more projection for half the effort. I play with more enjoyment and for longer.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

While I was studying classical, it was only nylon strings. These days I play finger 'picking' and it's all on steel.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
Question for fingerstyle players: Do you have or have you played BOTH steel AND nylon string guitars, and if so, are there certain things you can do better on one than the other? This isn't a question so much about which you prefer. It has more to do with which you might choose to accomplish certain things on the guitar. Maybe that sounds a bit vague, but here's where I'm coming from.

My herd is mostly steel string, with one nylon crossover. Last night I got them all out to "water" them (refill the humidifiers). So I took the time to play each for at least 10 minutes. The differences are, of course, about so much more than just the strings (12 fret vs. 14 fret), body shape (parlor vs. small jumbo vs. dread), wood (cedar, spruce), neck (wide, narrow, shape), etc. That said, some are easier to play hammer-ons/pull-offs, some are easier to barre, steel strings have more sustain, nylon more warmth, etc.

Thanks.
I've come to realize I'm very fickle when it comes to guitar tones. Although I'm into steel now, that may change tomorrow if I pop in an Earl Klugh solo guitar CD later today. So I've learned to have at least one of each!
Old 04-14-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
here is a recording I did a few years back on my Ramirez guitar:

There are obvious differences in tone, sustain, and bass to treble balance. Playing issues include more buzzes likely on a flattop and of course the fretboard width.
That is simply some great playing r-s
Old 04-14-2017, 02:35 PM

When I feel like playing fingers only, I reach for nylon, every time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
are there certain things you can do better on one than the other?
I think so. I have both, and use both for different styles. I play a lot of classical guitar, and many fingerstyle pieces in alternate tunings, for which steel strings are much better suited.
If I had to whittle down the "herd", I would fight hard to keep at least two: one steel, one nylon.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-14-2017, 03:41 PM

I blame my transition from Steel strings to Nylon on Pete Huttlinger (RIP).

Pete posted a few videos of him playing songs on his nylon. As much as I tried to replicate the sound on my steel string, it became obvious I needed to try nylon string guitars.

Then I discovered,;Gene Bertoncini, Charlie Byrd, Ralph Towner, John Knowles, Earl Klugh and a host of other's that play nylon stringed guitars.

It's been a wonderful, albeit humbling journey. What had been acceptable left and right hand fingerstyle technique on my steel string was NOT acceptable for good tone on nylon.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-14-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I played mainly a classical guitar for many years and for some music a classical guitar is vastly superior to my ear. For example here is a recording I did a few years back on my Ramirez guitar:

Nicely done, Derek. The strings have a warm 'snap' to them, and even a sparkle for the higher notes. And there is a real clarity that comes through, much more so than many steel string songs I have heard, where I hear string squeek and an occasional buzzing. Thanks for posting!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write