The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
I've used super glue to repair my guitar, changed strings, polished my frets and oiled the fretboard so I guess I'm a guitar tech too. Can't wait to tell my Mom.
I’m sure she will be right proud of you!
Old 02-29-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budglo View Post
If you bought used, unfortunately that’s one of the risks . Me personally, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Martin. A company that stands by their product is not all that common today.
This is not aimed at budglo personally. It's aimed at Martin.

Martin's had this binding problem for about the last ten years - and counting - and to my knowledge has never acknowledged it.

I would not say that's standing by your product. I would say that's ignoring a very well-known and extensively reported manufacturing defect.

Sticking used-Martin buyers with the cost to repair this widespread defect is not standing by your product. It's hiding behind the fine print in the warranty.

I'd never get near a used Martin, knowing the company can and will blow me off for their mistakes that show up after the original owner has moved along.

=K

Last edited by K-wey; 03-01-2024 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:22 PM

Well, I will say as the new owner of my dad’s ‘91 D16-H that I felt better when I learned Martin has widespread binding issues. My heart fell the second time I took the thing out of its case to tune it and noticed binding separation on the back at the waist, both top and bottom edges. Now I don’t feel so bad and figure we should be able to DIY it.

I think Dad was the second owner and I’m the third. He did play it a fair bit but it’s been in the closet for the past three to four years after his health deteriorated to where he couldn’t pick and sing anymore. It came into my possession three weeks ago after he passed, and I have no intention of parting with it any time soon.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura1557 View Post
Well, I will say as the new owner of my dad’s ‘91 D16-H that I felt better when I learned Martin has widespread binding issues. My heart fell the second time I took the thing out of its case to tune it and noticed binding separation on the back at the waist, both top and bottom edges. Now I don’t feel so bad and figure we should be able to DIY it.

I think Dad was the second owner and I’m the third. He did play it a fair bit but it’s been in the closet for the past three to four years after his health deteriorated to where he couldn’t pick and sing anymore. It came into my possession three weeks ago after he passed, and I have no intention of parting with it any time soon.
Also feel good that those are really great guitars. I know, I have a 1990 D16M. It was more to my liking than the 2013 D18 I recently sold.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-01-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Also feel good that those are really great guitars. I know, I have a 1990 D16M. It was more to my liking than the 2013 D18 I recently sold.

Oh yes. Dad scored when he found it secondhand at a dealer in the late 90s. He liked Martin though I think he only ever owned two - one before he started his family and one after we were grown and gone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion