The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Winning!

gibson make great electrics......taylor make great acoustics.

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reags
gibson make great electrics......taylor make great acoustics.
That`s why I own what I do LOL. See my sig
Lee
Old 05-23-2003, 06:53 PM

I have always loved the look of Les Pauls. But I've owned three and two have had quality control issues (badly applied binding, frets pressed so deep into the rosewood the fretboard had deep indentions on either side of most frets and some frets were lower then others). Considering what a Les Paul costs there's no way stuff like that should get out of the factory. I'm sorry that I bought them. I was stupid and impulsive and got sucked in by the Gibson name.

I don't know if Gibson acoustics have quality control problems, but I've never seen a Taylor, not even one of the low-end ones, that had anyting like the problems I saw on those Les Pauls.

There's little chance I'll buy another instrument that says "GIbson" on the headstock.

2004 814 C
2003 714ce L1
Goodall TRD
lots of electrics
Old 05-23-2003, 07:02 PM

Asking such a question on this forum won't get you too many unbiased opinions. I have to agree with Meridian though. Get the one that speaks to you more. I've played A LOT of Taylors - love them, and I've played a lot of Gibsons - love them. In no way do either blow each other away. At best I can say is they're both very different animals. Find which one you like and weigh the difference. Don't buy on brand, buy on tone and feel.
1971 Martin D-18s
2002 Martin D-18ge
1996 Martin HD-28 [pending]
1993 Taylor 810 [pending]
2002 Taylor 614CE
1998 Fender American Standard Strat
1959 Gibson ES-335 Historic Reissue
Old 05-23-2003, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kidtwist
There's little chance I'll buy another instrument that says "GIbson" on the headstock.
The only thing Gibson electrics and Gibson acoustics have in common are the name on the headstock. Beyond that, quality control is a far bigger problem in Nashville than it is in Bozeman...
Old 05-23-2003, 07:30 PM

starting with the 2002 LP standards Gibsons quality has really went up. I am on the LP forum too. For years the LP has suffered from so so quality.
kidtwist if yoy haven`t had a chance to try a new 02 or 03 LP try one out I believe you`ll be please. Although the precision of the binding and other ares are not quite to my Taylors standard but taylor reset the standard! MY binding and neck on my new LP are done extremely well and fret dress is awesome and good neck but where the taylor has absolutle no feel of transition from binding to wood there is a tiny bit of feel on the LP. Not enough for me to whine though.
Lee
Old 05-24-2003, 07:48 AM

I'll give you an unbiased opinion. The Gibson acoustics coming out of the Montana factory these days are great guitars. They are as consistent and have as good of quality control as any of the large scale guitar manufucturers...except Taylor.

Now this doesn't mean you should necessarily buy a Taylor. You may like the Gibson sound. I do. And I'd like to have one. But I've played hundreds of guitars in the last couple of years during my quest for a "big guitar" to replace one I sold. In terms of fit, finish and setup, nothing beats Taylor.

Choice of materials? You might get consistently higher grade woods in a Collings or Bourgeois, etc (at twice the street price), but Taylor's quality control is second to nobody. And I'm kind of suspicious of AAAA woods anyway. Wood grades are all about looks. I have an old 812c that has dark streaking in the top that many folks would consider a flaw. But that guitar sounds wonderful. I wouldn't trade that top for a perfect piece of Adirondack.

Tim
Old 05-24-2003, 07:58 AM

perhaps the question should not be Taylor or Gibson, but rather
Taylor or Guild.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Winning!

Quote:
Originally posted by kidtwist
I have always loved the look of Les Pauls. But I've owned three and two have had quality control issues (badly applied binding, frets pressed so deep into the rosewood the fretboard had deep indentions on either side of most frets and some frets were lower then others). Considering what a Les Paul costs there's no way stuff like that should get out of the factory. I'm sorry that I bought them. I was stupid and impulsive and got sucked in by the Gibson name.

I don't know if Gibson acoustics have quality control problems, but I've never seen a Taylor, not even one of the low-end ones, that had anyting like the problems I saw on those Les Pauls.

yea thats the thing with gibsons.....its like picking a lolly out of a jar, some are good others are sour. higher end brands like prs usually take the cake in QC.

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion