The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-22-2016, 09:52 AM

Much about this story doesn't make sense, but that can probably be explained by a communication breakdown between the luthier and the OP.

The main question in my mind is, why did the luthier follow through with the set up work if the guitar needed warranty service? I recently had a similar scenario in my shop with the exact same model of Martin (000-15), a couple years old. The customer brought it in for a set up, but it needed a neck reset. So I did nothing. I called the customer and told him to pursue a warranty claim, as we are not a Martin service center. I suppose I could've charged my minimum bench charge, but I charged him nothing.

The bottom line is, you don't charge for a setup if the instrument can't be set up to play properly.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:53 AM

Find a truly knowledgeable pro and bring the guitar to him/her for a proper no-fuss assessment. Agreed with Howard's sentiments above...

If your report in the first post is accurate, the saddle could be shimmed and the truss rod tightened. Good chance a new saddle might be in order. If your report is off even a bit, this paragraph could be moot.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair