The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Default Stirring the Pot on Friday

Just recently I purchased an Eastman E OO Sunburst from LA Guitars and I mut say I am very pleased with the quality and tone of this instrument.
I did a lot of research on Eastman and spoke to Ted at LA Guitars before taking the plunge. I also did the same with Blueridge and Maury at Maury's Music but decided to buy Eastman.
Since then, I have been perusing various forums including Martin's reading posts from years ago concerning Eastman.
It was both enlightening and humorous to read the various comments made four and five years ago concerning the Eastman vs. Martin "thing".
Everything from "amazed at the similarities" from surprised testers who were doing direct side-by-side comparisons to "you get what you pay for" from the die-hard Martin guys.
There were comments as to the longevity of the Martin Company, American made and the dedication and knowledge inherent to building great instruments.Then there were the comments about "Chinese made" and the prediction of the coming demise of Eastman. There were also those suggesting it might be good to purchase an Eastman before people realize the value and the price way goes up.
Anyway I thought it was funny how things haven't changed that much over the last four or five years...or have they?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-16-2016, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Anyway I thought it was funny how things haven't changed that much over the last four or five years...or have they?
There are millions of guitars players in the world. Among a group that size you'll never have agreement on any issue. I'm not sure why you're surprised at this.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-16-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Among a group that size you'll never have agreement on any issue.
I disagree!!!

Old 12-16-2016, 08:37 AM

Eastmans and Blue Ridges are both from the Trynabee Co.

Why not save up for the real deal and treat yourself?
Old 12-16-2016, 08:38 AM

so, what's your point?
Old 12-16-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
I disagree!!!

I agree!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
I agree!!!!!!
You're both wrong!!!!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I will agree that in general the more things change, indeed, the more they stay the same. People will always have opinions - some more informed, some less informed. Ultimately, until I get to play an instrument, I cannot really determine if I like it or not or if it meets my musical needs or not. And, once I have played it and make that determination, all I know is what works for me and not much else. I have a hard time imagining that changing anytime soon.

I enjoy this forum because I find that there is a lot to be learned from my own trial and error and the trial and error of others. So, I appreciate hearing others opinions and experiences - even if they do not match mine.

Best and happy stirring...

Jayne
Old 12-16-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Just recently I purchased an Eastman E OO Sunburst from LA Guitars and I mut say I am very pleased with the quality and tone of this instrument.
I did a lot of research on Eastman and spoke to Ted at LA Guitars before taking the plunge. I also did the same with Blueridge and Maury at Maury's Music but decided to buy Eastman.
Since then, I have been perusing various forums including Martin's reading posts from years ago concerning Eastman.
It was both enlightening and humorous to read the various comments made four and five years ago concerning the Eastman vs. Martin "thing".
Everything from "amazed at the similarities" from surprised testers who were doing direct side-by-side comparisons to "you get what you pay for" from the die-hard Martin guys.
There were comments as to the longevity of the Martin Company, American made and the dedication and knowledge inherent to building great instruments.Then there were the comments about "Chinese made" and the prediction of the coming demise of Eastman. There were also those suggesting it might be good to purchase an Eastman before people realize the value and the price way goes up.

Play what you like and what you can afford. If you're ears can't hear the difference between an Eastman and a Martin then consider your self among the lucky ones that can get a less expensive guitar that sounds as good as a more expensive one.
Your ears may not be someone elses reality and don't worry that you're not in the majority of players that prefer one over the other.
When money is not the limiting factor which would you really own? To find the answer that question look to what the pros are playing. How many pros choose the higher level, Collings, Martin, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois and how many choose the less expensie Eastman, Blueridge...
Old 12-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Musicians have opinions and quirks? Say it ain't so.

For me as my life has evolved and my guitar playing has improved I am from the camp of you get what you pay for. I have decided I will buy guitars from any country so long as I am buying the guitar from the country of origin. Like I will buy Martin, Gibson or Taylor if the fancy strikes me, but I will only buy their guitars built here. I will buy Takamine, as I have one on the way, but only guitars that are built in Japan. I will buy Godin guitars maybe in the future.

In my life I have learned that guitars that are built in places to save a buck do not deliver the sound or the quality you find in other guitars. As a matter of fact I am reducing my collection to only 2 Martins and 1 Takamine.

I am not saying some of those guitars are not good guitars for people on a budget or for beginners, but I have tried out several of the guitars that have been recommended by some folks here and I was never blown away by any of them. With one exception, the St Louis Sigma line. They are amazing sounding guitars, to my ears, and even beat the Yamahas that are in the same family tree.

When you said stir the pot I actually thought this was another hang your guitar or case it thread.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Eastmans and Blue Ridges are both from the Trynabee Co.

Why not save up for the real deal and treat yourself?
Are you suggesting Eastman and Blueridge are the same because they are not Martins? I am a top dealer for both Martin and Eastman, and I can assure you that Eastman are real. FYI, Eastman does not build Martin copies, they have their own tone and feel, and certainly a lot more options than just flat top acoustics. If you haven't yet, you should try one.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I think that the only difference from opinions then & now is that Eastman guitars have reached the hands of more players, thanks to greater popularity and a much improved US dealer network. Put me in the camp of those who believe Eastmans to be great guitars, especially for the money...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've been posting this tune recently to show how great an Eastman can sound. Ted's right -- they have their own unique sound. This is an Eastman E-10SS, adi over hog, about five years old and just beginning to really open up. I'm playing live, directly an SM-58:

I love my Martins too, but there's really something special about this Eastman.

scott
Old 12-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

There's always going to be the guy who swears his $49 pawn shop special beats all the Martins, Gibsons and Taylors he's ever played.

You can insert "any import brand" for "$49 pawn shop special" and you'll have a wider range of posters swearing their import ______ is the best guitar and Martin, Gibson and Taylor should be ashamed for the prices they charge.

And it just makes me tired,... I'm left with "sure dude, whatever".
Old 12-16-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Are you suggesting Eastman and Blueridge are the same because they are not Martins? I am a top dealer for both Martin and Eastman, and I can assure you that Eastman are real. FYI, Eastman does not build Martin copies, they have their own tone and feel, and certainly a lot more options than just flat top acoustics. If you haven't yet, you should try one.
I'm suggesting they are the same as in both are MIC, based on Martin designs.
Are they good guitars? Sure

IMO Eastman makes an overpriced Blueridge, and both clearly copy Martin's style, with a few that have a bit different headstock shape.

I've tried many of both, and IMO, for my money, Ill stick with the real deal.

I'm not suggesting they're bad guitars, but they are what they are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion